Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading these responses has been interesting and some of it supports my own theory.

"If you have doubts and/or don't believe in your camera and your ability to use it effectively then, this will effect your creative processes and therefore your results."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewdalerichardson/

08-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
There is no doubt that Nikon's AF is far superior to any other manufacturer's out there (with the exception of the new 5DIII - which, by all accounts, is the new 'King'), but that isn't the point. A Ferrari can do 200 mph (320kph) but that doesn't mean your Ford/GM can't easily manage 100 mph (160 kph) which covers most situations.
I would disagree with this analogy because:
1. most situations would depend on the person. What 'most' mean to one photographer may be different from another. Most cars travel on speed limited roads correct, but not all photographers shoot the same photos.

2. a ferrari can cost many times more than a ford. The k-5 and the d7000 came out at the same price, in fact the k-5 was more expensive than the d7000 when they both came out. If the price of a ford and a Ferrari were the same, would you rather not take the ferrari?

In any case I wouldn't necessarily compare the k-5 or d7000 to a ford or a ferrari, maybe a BMW (d7000) and a Jaguar (k-5)

The difference though is not as simple, there are plenty of reasons why the k-5 is better than the d7000, however I would not consider it unreasonable to switch from a k-5 to a d7000 for the autofocus.

Also the OP's reason for enquiring about the d7000 was because he was having issues with autofocus, hence why I mentioned that I found an older generation camera to the one he is asking about had better autofocus than the k-5 which he wanted to ask about.
08-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
1. most situations would depend on the person. What 'most' mean to one photographer may be different from another. Most cars travel on speed limited roads correct, but not all photographers shoot the same photos.

2. a ferrari can cost many times more than a ford. The k-5 and the d7000 came out at the same price, in fact the k-5 was more expensive than the d7000 when they both came out. If the price of a ford and a Ferrari were the same, would you rather not take the ferrari?

In any case I wouldn't necessarily compare the k-5 or d7000 to a ford or a ferrari, maybe a BMW (d7000) and a Jaguar (k-5)

The difference though is not as simple, there are plenty of reasons why the k-5 is better than the d7000, however I would not consider it unreasonable to switch from a k-5 to a d7000 for the autofocus.

Also the OP's reason for enquiring about the d7000 was because he was having issues with autofocus, hence why I mentioned that I found an older generation camera to the one he is asking about had better autofocus than the k-5 which he wanted to ask about.
Well, the K5 is currently cheaper than the d7000 by a hundred to hundred fifty dollars. As to pricing at time of release, there clearly are/were two different strategies. Nikon releases at a particular price point and doesn't discount much till close to the end of a product's lifespan, while Pentax has a large early adopter surcharge and discounts more and more as time goes by.

Both are pretty much at the end of their life cycle.

As to which tool is better, it probably depends on what you are shooting and what feels most comfortable to you. My brother has a D7000 and it is a fine camera. Haven't seen huge differences in regard to focus speed (my photos are better, but I know more what I am doing), but there is no doubt but that for me, the K5 is a lot more comfortable to use. Someone else might feel differently and that's OK too...

Last edited by Rondec; 08-13-2012 at 06:44 AM.
08-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Someone started a thread in DP Forums. He is just like me, considering a switch from the K-5 to the D7k. Only he is a bit harsher in reflecting his thoughts

Moving back to Nikon: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review

08-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People are always moving back and forth. I just take most of what they say with a grain of salt. The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence, just greener in spots. If something works for you, stick with it, if not, don't let the nay sayers stop you from moving on. There is no system that is perfect for everyone. Not even a D800E with the Nikon f2.8 zooms.
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #81
Forum Member

It is difficult to solve the cognitive dissonance of post-purchase - what the buyer gets is not what he has thought it should be!

If the buyer cannot settle himself, no one can help and so the only solution is to switch to a right product only if he think it is deserved to do so. Of course to identify a right product needs time, patience and objective.
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Yes as far as Point 1. is concerned I would think that a given.

Point 2. Price has nothing to do with it because I think maybe I threw you a curved ball there. I was comparing the AF systems as a Ferrari and a Ford/GM not the cameras themselves. So in that regard only I stand by my original analogy. I have always preferred Jags of course

Completely unrelated but if a Ferrari and a Ford were the same price (or if they weren't but I was given a choice for free and I wasn't allowed to cash in on the Ferrari) then I'd take the Ford as Ferraris are next to useless on most of China's roads

08-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

You might want to look at this if you haven't already.
To wrap this up for me, I have two contacts on flickr who shoot wildlife in South Florida and they both use a D300. Sometimes I closely look at the birds they capture and some of their photos are slightly out of focus. They are good photographers and they use expensive F/2.8 and F/4 lenses. I mainly look at the heads of birds to judge if someone nailed their subject. I never gave it much thought nor have I talked to them about this. The barchart camparing cameras kind of surprised me but it didn't completely surprise me. I have stood next to Canon EOS-7D people and heard them complain how they missed the shot and I got it.

I don't have much problems with the K-5 autofocus. I think you can convince yourself the weaknesses of the K-5 are worse than they actually are.
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I always find that it's not a big deal to focus on far objects with tele lenses (i.e. wildlife).

The real challenge is to take picture of near moving objects.

For example toddler walking at you at near distance. Pentax really struggles in such situations, any parent with Pentax will tell you that. For pro Nikon it's completely non issue (the kid was walking towards camera). It's not D7000, but it shows where Pentax should improve.
Attached Images

08-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Isn't it funny that before automatic focus there wasn't a lot of concern about the ability to get a good sharply focused photo using manual focusing, but now that we have auto focus, it's an absolute necessity that each camera that we use must be able to immediately give us perfect focus. I guess that the ability to rapidly move from autofocus to a manual focus mode with Pentax lenses to fine tune focus, might be a great feature.
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Isn't it funny that before automatic focus there wasn't a lot of concern about the ability to get a good sharply focused photo using manual focusing, but now that we have auto focus, it's an absolute necessity that each camera that we use must be able to immediately give us perfect focus. I guess that the ability to rapidly move from autofocus to a manual focus mode with Pentax lenses to fine tune focus, might be a great feature.
Because if we misfocused back in the manual days, we could only blame ourselves
08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I can't speak for the D7000, but my D90's autofocus is head and shoulders above my k-5's, especially with tracking moving objects. I find the K-5's interface and buttons much much more intuitive than the D90's though.
I find my D800 has a few extra 'auto' AF modes but as I usually run my cameras in SINGLE SEL mode it's not an issue for me. I think the extra focus points on the Nikon are really what's making any difference for me.
08-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #88
Veteran Member

This shot was of birds in the tree next to my house. The Gum Tree is about 60 feet high and these birds have been at it all day lately. Pentax K-5 & FA*300 4.5 ISO800. Since doing an AF fine tune on my camera for this lens 99% of my shots are in focus.
Face-Off (crop)
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I always find that it's not a big deal to focus on far objects with tele lenses (i.e. wildlife).

The real challenge is to take picture of near moving objects.

For example toddler walking at you at near distance. Pentax really struggles in such situations, any parent with Pentax will tell you that. For pro Nikon it's completely non issue (the kid was walking towards camera). It's not D7000, but it shows where Pentax should improve.
I have three active kids and don't really struggle with auto focus. To me, I guess, it is so much better with the K5, than with cameras like the K10, that I don't see problems.

08-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
For example toddler walking at you at near distance. Pentax really struggles in such situations
Gimme a break! What's next, Pentax AF struggles with "running" snails? Utter nonsense.
K-5 AF has no problems focusing on my 3 yrs old daughter running toward me or focusing on her 2m away in a pillow fight or focusing on a train 20m away coning toward me at 60 km/h.