Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think Edvinas meant tracking, not initial focusing.

08-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #92
Veteran Member

My friend's experiences with the D7000

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
Hello,

I am a little bit tired of the AF failures, or rather objectively, the "AF character" of my k-5. And slightly clunky interface of the K-5 also drives me crazy sometimes.

So now this is off my chest and let's please talk.
A Nikonian friend of mine was never happy with the AF on his D7000 -- he said it tended to focus on areas of high contrast, not necessarily where he wanted it to focus. He seriously contemplated replacing the D7000 with a D5100, which had a similar sensor and the older (more reliable) AF system.

Instead he got a good deal on a second-hand D3S and is now very happy.
08-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, yeah, in D7k reviews I am reading those comments too. About focusing on areas of high contrast. I started to think that the K-5 and the D7k are similar in that respect. And this is what keeps me from making my final decision on the D7k.
08-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #94

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D7000 focuses much better than K5 and the nikon AF system is much more complicated, if you can't use it right it will be even more tricky than pentax. I'm thinking for nikon myself at the moment but not because of the body, but because of the lenses. My problem is that I want to shoot movies too and K30 is the only one except with the D3200 that has 60fps HD and the combination of this and the fact that I don't like huge changes is what makes me want to try with K30. The thing is - if you want good phase detect focus, nikon is the leader.
PS don't trust tests from the net, there are many test made by guys who don't know much about shooting. Try the real thing, go to the store set the bodies with similar lenses like 50 1.8 and try it!
About the IQ, D7000 and K5/K-01, K30, K....they are all the same in RAW format, the nikon has much less noise reduction in raw so it looks more noisy but it also keeps more detail and contrast. K-01 has much less dynamic range I don't know why btw but K5 and D7000 are so much the same!

08-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You see, something like this drives me nuts. If you are talking about birds in flight, maybe athletics or even football/rugby then there might be a point (though I've covered paid shoots for 7's rugby and X games without any issue whatsoever, and in fading light and under spotlights - check my SmugMug below) but for indoor rock climbing ? Gimme a break ! User error or not the right lenses.
and yet I have covered comps across the globe and have yet to see a K5 being used

or a Pentax of any type - a sad state of affairs
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Thank you, yeah, in D7k reviews I am reading those comments too. About focusing on areas of high contrast. I started to think that the K-5 and the D7k are similar in that respect. And this is what keeps me from making my final decision on the D7k.
and yet with two years of hard use I have never had an issue of the af being bang on 98% of the time - 2% user error
08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
and yet I have covered comps across the globe and have yet to see a K5 being used

You live in South Africa and by your own admission, Pentax is hard to come by and very expensive there. Don't you think that is the bigger factor?
08-15-2012, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #98

I actually have both a Nikon D7000 and a Pentax K-5, so I can offer a few thoughts. I use the 2 cameras for totally different things.

The Nikon is used almost exclusively with a couple of older AF-D lenses, the 300 f/4.0 ED-IF and the 80-200 f/2.8,but it get used a lot. Each weighs about 3 pounds, and I generally shoot them handheld (as I did on the F100 film camera for many years), or more recently with a rather heavy Bogen monopod. Why the Nikon? Well, I bought the lenses a long time ago (late 90's) but did not sell my Nikon film gear when I switched to digital in mid-2007 with Pentax. The Nikon lenses sat in a cabinet until early 2011 when I noticed the D7000 was (a) not too expensive and (b) would autofocus the AF-D lenses. I had been looking at D100, D200 and D300 as each came out, but never wanted to spend that kind of money for something that was going to be so big I knew I would never take it traveling.

The Pentax is used primarily for travel / sightseeing / general-wandering-around-type photos. I really like the DA Limiteds for a compact travel package. I can carry a K-5, DA15, DA21, DA40, DA70 (and a DA35 Macro or FA 50/1.4 if I don't mind a tight fit) in a Domke F5-XB that can then fit inside a non-descript North Face day-pack. I've tried traveling and sightseeing with zooms, but I like to carry my camera in my hand, a zoom lens just makes it too awkward and uncomfortable for me. I also keep an older body with the DA16-45 for off-road trips to the desert or other places or situations where I don't want to be changing lenses.

Is one better than the other?

I can't tell a difference in the AF, but then I don't shoot sports with either. You can see what I shoot by looking at my blog. All of the zoo shots since Feb 2011 have been with the Nikon and the old AF-D lenses. No focusing problems that I can think of. All of the travel, exploring and sightseeing type shots have been with Pentax (although the K-5 only goes back to about last fall; K7 or K20D before that). No focusing problems that I can think of.

But - In my opinion there are some areas where ergonomics of the Nikon D7000 really sucks. A big one for me is the switch used to change from AF-S to AF-C, and also the one that changes the AF pattern (but don't use that as much, generally center point only, and move it as needed with the rear pad). But changing from AF-S to AF-C is a real pain when you need one hand to hold a heavy lens like the 300 or 80-200. It would be no big deal with smaller lighter lenses. I don't trust holding the body with both hands and letting those big lenses just hang out there while trying to fiddle with that tiny button on the side of the camera.

Another area that really sucks on the Nikon, at least when comparing to Pentax, is changing WB. I shoot only in jpg, and sometimes want to see what a change in WB will do. Pentax is great for that. I takes the last photo you took and shows what the change will look like. With the D7000 I have to first put on my reading glasses, then remember what the little icons mean, and then guess as to whether or not it will do what I like. The work-around: luckily Nikon AWB is pretty close to what I like for the mostly outdoor shots I take with the D7000. That might not work for everyone.

I like to shoot in Aperture Priority, and change ISO as needed to get a shutter speed I'm comfortable with. Very easy on the Pentax - front dial changes Aperture, and rear dial changes ISO. Normally on a Nikon you need two hands to change ISO (again, that's ok if you've got someone else handy to hold that heavy lens for you). Luckily the D7000 can be re-programmed to allow front dial to control Aperture and rear to control ISO, so now I can have the 2 cameras set up to almost handle the same. At an air show last year I carried both, and it was no problem moving back and forth between them. Only occasionally did I accidentally change the metering pattern on the D7000 when I thought I was changing Exposure Compensation. The placement of the buttons is reversed on the two bodies. Of course, on the Nikon that meant digging out the reading glasses to be able to see on the tiny top-deck LCD if I had put back to Matrix.

08-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
I actually have both a Nikon D7000 and a Pentax K-5, so I can offer a few thoughts. I use the 2 cameras for totally different things.

The Nikon is used almost exclusively with a couple of older AF-D lenses, the 300 f/4.0 ED-IF and the 80-200 f/2.8,but it get used a lot. Each weighs about 3 pounds, and I generally shoot them handheld (as I did on the F100 film camera for many years), or more recently with a rather heavy Bogen monopod. Why the Nikon? Well, I bought the lenses a long time ago (late 90's) but did not sell my Nikon film gear when I switched to digital in mid-2007 with Pentax. The Nikon lenses sat in a cabinet until early 2011 when I noticed the D7000 was (a) not too expensive and (b) would autofocus the AF-D lenses. I had been looking at D100, D200 and D300 as each came out, but never wanted to spend that kind of money for something that was going to be so big I knew I would never take it traveling.

The Pentax is used primarily for travel / sightseeing / general-wandering-around-type photos. I really like the DA Limiteds for a compact travel package. I can carry a K-5, DA15, DA21, DA40, DA70 (and a DA35 Macro or FA 50/1.4 if I don't mind a tight fit) in a Domke F5-XB that can then fit inside a non-descript North Face day-pack. I've tried traveling and sightseeing with zooms, but I like to carry my camera in my hand, a zoom lens just makes it too awkward and uncomfortable for me. I also keep an older body with the DA16-45 for off-road trips to the desert or other places or situations where I don't want to be changing lenses.

Is one better than the other?

I can't tell a difference in the AF, but then I don't shoot sports with either. You can see what I shoot by looking at my blog. All of the zoo shots since Feb 2011 have been with the Nikon and the old AF-D lenses. No focusing problems that I can think of. All of the travel, exploring and sightseeing type shots have been with Pentax (although the K-5 only goes back to about last fall; K7 or K20D before that). No focusing problems that I can think of.

But - In my opinion there are some areas where ergonomics of the Nikon D7000 really sucks. A big one for me is the switch used to change from AF-S to AF-C, and also the one that changes the AF pattern (but don't use that as much, generally center point only, and move it as needed with the rear pad). But changing from AF-S to AF-C is a real pain when you need one hand to hold a heavy lens like the 300 or 80-200. It would be no big deal with smaller lighter lenses. I don't trust holding the body with both hands and letting those big lenses just hang out there while trying to fiddle with that tiny button on the side of the camera.

Another area that really sucks on the Nikon, at least when comparing to Pentax, is changing WB. I shoot only in jpg, and sometimes want to see what a change in WB will do. Pentax is great for that. I takes the last photo you took and shows what the change will look like. With the D7000 I have to first put on my reading glasses, then remember what the little icons mean, and then guess as to whether or not it will do what I like. The work-around: luckily Nikon AWB is pretty close to what I like for the mostly outdoor shots I take with the D7000. That might not work for everyone.

I like to shoot in Aperture Priority, and change ISO as needed to get a shutter speed I'm comfortable with. Very easy on the Pentax - front dial changes Aperture, and rear dial changes ISO. Normally on a Nikon you need two hands to change ISO (again, that's ok if you've got someone else handy to hold that heavy lens for you). Luckily the D7000 can be re-programmed to allow front dial to control Aperture and rear to control ISO, so now I can have the 2 cameras set up to almost handle the same. At an air show last year I carried both, and it was no problem moving back and forth between them. Only occasionally did I accidentally change the metering pattern on the D7000 when I thought I was changing Exposure Compensation. The placement of the buttons is reversed on the two bodies. Of course, on the Nikon that meant digging out the reading glasses to be able to see on the tiny top-deck LCD if I had put back to Matrix.
Thank-you for the very well written and detail analysis and comparison between the two brands. I too don't find any problem with AF on the k-5 and in agreement with the convenience in ergonomics and light weight for travelling on k-5 and FA limited lenses.
08-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Your post focuses more on ergonomics and ease of use, but I wanted opinions on these subjects too, so your post is useful for me. Things you mentioned about WB change I can't agree, since I like it the Nikon way where I can see what I set on the top LCD, and not having to keep the color LCD open for that. The same goes for selected AF points. My eyes are good enough to see the little icons on the top LCD, and I can always make a trial shot before any critical WB adjustment. So no problem there too. Also the focus mode selector lever on the k5 is a little too hard to move.

I am not saying these to justify the d7k move, but they are not much of issues for me. Subjective.

By the way Nikon d50, d80, d90 could focus D type lenses too. And they were small.
08-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
yeah. tried my friend's d7000 many times.
really the operation of k-5 is a lot intuitive, faster. many operation in k-5 you only need 1step, but you need 2-3 step in d7000.
even though auto-focus is behind d7000. I still want to use my k-5 not my friend's d7000.
08-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

You obviously did not watch the Olympics. I saw quite a few Pentax bodies with SDM lenses attached to them.
08-21-2012, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Here are several examples of the 'crappy' AF of the Pentax K-5. Each shot was separately focused in quick succession using S mode. I only took 4 shots before the bird flew away. Damn shame the focus is such crap.

Pentax K-5 & FA*300 F4.5

08-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Who said it was crappy ?
08-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Who said it was crappy ?
On these forums? Quite a few I think... I am not accusing you of anything however.