Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is an interesting thread. I'm in the position of having the opportunity to edit files from four photographers shooting the same theater production. Two of us have K-5s, two have D7000. I've even switched cameras for an hour. Bottom line? Basically equivalent. I like Pentax controls a bit better and certainly the smaller body, but they weight about the same.

There are legitimate reasons to switch to Nikon: full frame, wider lens selection, more retail outlets. Pentax, of course builds more rugged cameras for the same price and has built in image stabilization, which lowers lens prices. But switching to a D7000 isn't going to be an "upgrade." You can probably get a used D700 for under $2K. Great camera, but lower resolution. There are rumors of a D600 coming out this fall, that has full frame sensor but $1500-1800. I wouldn't bank on a rumor, but I would wait. There's also a rumor of a Canon 6D, which is supposed to have a 7D body with a 5D sensor. It's also supposed to be much less than the current crop of Canikon bodies. I'm seriously considering the switch to full frame and will see how the reviews come out.

08-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Not true. I've been contemplating this change myself due to AF, with the same initial issue that the OP posted. (plus sync speed issue for me). I have K20, K-x, and K10 and they all exhibit this same issue. My goal is to get a D700 but I wonder if I should make a baby step to D7k first to accumulate lenses before jumping to FF.

I'll be looking forward to the OP's impressions as I'm in a similar boat.

And who cares if the toy is old, as long as the client is happy The camera is just a tool. Heck my favourite camera is still the K100d
Well, I just know personally a couple of people who struggle with the D7000 auto focus as much as the opening poster seemed to struggle with the K5. One of them is still shooting with his D7000 and the other one upgraded hers to a D700, because she shoots professionally and couldn't tolerate the inconsistent focusing. I just don't think a D7000 for all its autofocus specs is necessarily any better at autofocus than the K5 (probably depends somewhat on the K5 and D7000, too).

At the same time, as Bossa has said, Photokina is about a month away and my expectation would be that the K5 sequel will have a new autofocus module. If your only issue with the K5 is the autofocus and you have decent glass otherwise, why not just wait for that camera?
08-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I just know personally a couple of people who struggle with the D7000 auto focus as much as the opening poster seemed to struggle with the K5. One of them is still shooting with his D7000 and the other one upgraded hers to a D700, because she shoots professionally and couldn't tolerate the inconsistent focusing. I just don't think a D7000 for all its autofocus specs is necessarily any better at autofocus than the K5 (probably depends somewhat on the K5 and D7000, too).
I guess most of us on here have seen the tests carried out and published by that French photographic website that showed the K5 to be the most consistent camera for actually acquiring and taking a shot in focus (they tried all the cameras they tested with multiple lenses). Not the fastest by any means but the most accurate certainly. Fast doesn't mean accurate though so getting any shot at all is preferable over no shot, it's only when that has been acheived that we can move onto the issue of accuracy.

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-30-2012 at 05:58 AM.
08-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I guess most of us on here have seen the tests carried out and published by that French photographic website that showed the K5 to be the most consistent camera for actually acquiring and taking a shot in focus (they tried all the cameras they tested with multiple lenses). Not the fastest by any means but the most accurate certainly. Fast doesn't mean accurate though so getting any shot at all is preferable over no shot, it's only when that has been acheived that we can more onto the issue of accuracy.
Definitely. If you want "any shot" over "no shot," then you certainly can use AF-C, where the K5 will go ahead and shoot, even if it isn't certain that everything is in-focus. Anyway, I wasn't saying the D7000 was a bad camera or unusable. Far from it. I just think that there are issues on both sides of the fence and probably the next-gen cameras, from both Nikon and Pentax, going to be released shortly will fix quite a few of these issues.

08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every camera out there has auto focus issues. Nikon does a good job and might have an edge but they're not perfect either. The K5 is pretty good and is noticeably more accurate than the K10D was. How much of an upgrade a D7000 would be is very debatable. I could understand a pro sports shooter wanting to go with Nikon. The AF is accurate, fast, and Nikon has a lot of options with excellent long glass although it doesn't come cheap. If you're shooting your kids soccer games with a consumer zoom, I doubt your results will be much better than the K5. That brings up another issue too. Different lenses focus more accurately and faster then others. We see this mentioned in tests and reviews all the time. Flash is another issue. Nikon has everybody beat I think and their flash system is top notch so if you use flash a lot, a Nikon system might be a real upgrade.

I went to a motorcycle rally a couple of weeks ago and shot a few hundred shots. A couple of friends were shooting also and I have seen their results and I honestly don't think their Canon and Nikon shots are any better. A lot of this was outside in harsh midday light and I got a lot of comments about the results about my K5 and DA 40 Limited. Their bodies are bigger and heavier. They had to trailer their bikes if they wanted to bring their camera gear along. My K5 and Limiteds fit nicely in a corner of my saddle bag.
08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
You've wasted enough of your time around here, don't you think? Are you NOT aware that the K-5 and D7k are obsolete? They are old news. What makes you feel your commentary will NOT be like (say) a comparison of a K110D to a D90? Trust me... No one cares...

Like most around here, I've already moved on...

Why not just spend your time learning how to use your (new to you, but) old toy, instead.

And enjoy...
Yeah, I wasted much time because my K-5 did not get sold instantly. I had to wait for just over a month to sell out all my Pentax gear. As a matter of fact I still have a MF lens waiting on the list.

Anyways, I don't think the K-5 and D7000 are obsolete, because I am not a tech-junkie who keeps throwing money to latest stuff I have better things to do with my life. And from the looks, it is clear that people considering these two models are still in need for user experience in order to decide upon some things.

Do you have a D800E, 28mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G now? Because they are among the least obsolete items in Nikon inventory. I hear they make you take better photos.

--------

I don't mind currency of a body, I mind its ability to adapt to my shooting style. So the switch from K-5 to the D7000 was NOT meant to be an upgrade. I'm thinking if I didn't clarify it at the original post.

Back to the subject. I passed to Nikon because I have sold two very good lenses (FA* 85 and Sigma 30), and they are hard to find again. Ditto for similar lenses (77, 31, etc) Here in Turkey Pentax has no distributors or a proper retailer, and you have to hunt down the forums for second hand market. That means high prices and a possible unspecified time of waiting. Didn't wanna go through all that again. And my choices in Nikon are cheaper, in addition; they exist! (85mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8 AF). Since the d7000 production is discontinued now and we all know that Nikon body prices don't ever fall, and I don't feel like paying for a FF body, it was null to wait for Photokina.

It's three days since I bought the d7000. I am trying to do as much shooting as possible in order to get used to it. I bought it with a very basic lens (50mm 1.8 D), I have not yet bought my fave lenses yet. I will hunt the second hand markets for some time and try to get them cheaper. In any case they will be sooner than finding Pentax lenses.

As to the AF, so far I am happy with focusing speed, consistency and silence. I am having a better time than I did with Pentax. But please no misunderstandings here; This does not mean the D7000 AF is better than K-5 AF. It is more suitable to my style.

After some getting used to and hopefully after I have gathered my gear, I am going to post here a comparison about what changed with the d7000 switch.

Last edited by Crosshair; 08-30-2012 at 04:38 PM.
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
Yeah, I wasted much time because my K-5 did not get sold instantly. I had to wait for just over a month to sell out all my Pentax gear. As a matter of fact I still have a MF lens waiting on the list.

Anyways, I don't think the K-5 and D7000 are obsolete, because I am not a tech-junkie who keeps throwing money to latest stuff I have better things to do with my life. And from the looks, it is clear that people considering these two models are still in need for user experience in order to decide upon some things.

Do you have a D800E, 28mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G now? Because they are among the least obsolete items in Nikon inventory. I hear they make you take better photos.

--------

I don't mind currency of a body, I mind its ability to adapt to my shooting style. So the switch from K-5 to the D7000 was NOT meant to be an upgrade. I'm thinking if I didn't clarify it at the original post.

Back to the subject. I passed to Nikon because I have sold two very good lenses (FA* 85 and Sigma 30), and they are hard to find again. Ditto for similar lenses (77, 31, etc) Here in Turkey Pentax has no distributors or a proper retailer, and you have to hunt down the forums for second hand market. That means high prices and a possible unspecified time of waiting. Didn't wanna go through all that again. And my choices in Nikon are cheaper, in addition; they exist! (85mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8 AF). Since the d7000 production is discontinued now and we all know that Nikon body prices don't ever fall, and I don't feel like paying for a FF body, it was null to wait for Photokina.

It's three days since I bought the d7000. I am trying to do as much shooting as possible in order to get used to it. I bought it with a very basic lens (50mm 1.8 D), I have not yet bought my fave lenses yet. I will hunt the second hand markets for some time and try to get them cheaper. In any case they will be sooner than finding Pentax lenses.

As to the AF, so far I am happy with focusing speed, consistency and silence. I am having a better time than I did with Pentax. But please no misunderstandings here; This does not mean the D7000 AF is better than K-5 AF. It is more suitable to my style.

After some getting used to and hopefully after I have gathered my gear, I am going to post here a comparison about what changed with the d7000 switch.
From reviews and test pic's I've seen it appears that the 28/1.8 isn't all that good on both D800 and D7000. It seems to hit the wall at those pixel pitches AND there appears to be a resolution dip in the middle of the field right at the borders on the D7000. I can tell you that the 35/1.4G is bloody awesome on D800E though ;-)

Last edited by bossa; 08-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know, I was trying to make another point. Thank you
08-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crosshair Quote
I know, I was trying to make another point. Thank you
I understand.. I was just being pedantic.
09-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
switched from k-5 to 7d a week now
I have to say it is a lot better than k-5 in auto focus.
I can shoot in almost dark, just need a little bit contrast. then it can lock focus.
and it is faster to focus in low light condition
very happy switch to 7d
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
switched from k-5 to 7d a week now
I have to say it is a lot better than k-5 in auto focus.
I can shoot in almost dark, just need a little bit contrast. then it can lock focus.
and it is faster to focus in low light condition
very happy switch to 7d
7D indeed has good autofocus; it's a different class and pricepoint from D7000 / K-5 though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Thanks for the suggestion and I think like you said, I'll wait for photokina Hopefully the 6D really come to pass; I'm really drawn to Canon having smaller sized L lenses (unlike nikon) but dont want to have to deal with 5Dii's autofocus.
09-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't quite understand that. Isn't he selecting his focus point? I have a D7000 and have been quite impressed with its focusing speed and accuracy. I noticed a big difference compared to my D5000, esp on my Tamron 17-50, which focuses very quickly on the D7000. I don't have a K-5 to compare it to (wish I did!), but on my K20D (different beast, I know---I got that after getting a D7000, and love it), the same Tammy (Pentax version) is slower and much more prone to hunting.

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
A Nikonian friend of mine was never happy with the AF on his D7000 -- he said it tended to focus on areas of high contrast, not necessarily where he wanted it to focus. He seriously contemplated replacing the D7000 with a D5100, which had a similar sensor and the older (more reliable) AF system.

Instead he got a good deal on a second-hand D3S and is now very happy.