Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D7000 lacks weather sealing also, something you might want to consider.

07-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

You might want to look at this if you haven't already.
Where'd you get that picture from? I would love to get the source and save it for my own explanation of why go Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The D7000 lacks weather sealing also, something you might want to consider.
D7000 is weather-sealed with magnesium alloy body. However good luck on your health, you'd have to pay your kidneys for Nikon "WR" lenses, as only their top-tier and most expensive lenses are sealed off.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/features03.htm#f01

Last edited by LeDave; 07-28-2012 at 08:39 PM.
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Where'd you get that picture from? I would love to get the source and save it for my own explanation of why go Pentax.
Google Translate

There's a thread here about it too:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=42052072&changemode=1
07-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I edited the original post to use IMGWIDE tags. Please use these when posting images wider than the screen - or simply refrain from posting such images (they didn't need to be anywhere near that large to illustrate the point).

Nikon cameras don't read minds either. Sometimes, a camera will focus somewhere other than where you wanted if something else happens to be in range. It's normal.

07-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@GlennG yes, the d7000 is much later than d300 but their AF systems are still different and d300 is still superior because it is a camera of another class. say it is regarded as the aps-c equivalent of the d700 in terms of AF. but IQ-wise, no.

@Rondec, sir when I bought the k-5, I was thinking a next step after the k-5 (if there will be any) would be to a d700 only, but now I think No, because of the size and weight. I just don't want to lug around a d700 while shooting street. so no FF for me.

@L33tGreg I don't know, these AF complaints of me might have been over-exaggerated since I have been having such misfocus problems for quite some time. the image I put on here as an example is not the only one. Now while shooting in the street I always have it in my mind that I might not hit the focus at the first half-press and I have to double check for that. Kinda makes you nervous. But certainly takes away the enjoyment. Also I cannot use a flash or AF-assist lamp against faces of strangers whom I candiding can I.

@Rondec and @crewl1 thank you, I think so, for a hobby that we are doing for just sport, too much thinking could be unnecessary time-consuming.

@bossa the chart is interesting as it shows d7000 is behind the k-5 every 3 category. and it gets even more interesting to see the 7D behind the two

@reeftool & @LeDave, I've been under heavy rain and snow with d90 and 85mm 1.8D, several times. no harm. that's the most I can be while shooting. so I think the d7k would hold well that time too

@MarcSabatella sorry, and thank you sir.
07-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And by the way, I've listed a line of reasons that will keep me in or drive me from Pentax, please respond to them too sirs. Thank you
07-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I am on the verge of buying a D800 to complement my K5 and favourite primes so have spent quite a lot of time on Nikon (and Canon - for the 5DIII) forums, even posing my own questions (these are however all based on the suitability of the D800 for birding, though much of what I have read is about the camera's performance in a variety of circumstances).

If you want pure AF performance then the brand new system in the 5DIII is generally out-performing the D800's (an area that Nikon have long dominated seems now to be at best a wash) which is in fact the same AF of the sports-shooters baby, the 11fps D4.

However all of both Nikon and Canon cameras have their own set of issues (and posters blaming the companies for remaining silent & not issuing fixes - where have I heard that before) ! The AF on those cameras may be faster and more accurate than the K5, but the D7000 AF is very different and although generally considered to be faster than the K5's it is also not as accurate (according to the testing we've already seen). The AF on the D300/s seems to be considered worse than the D7000 (an updated version). They also complain about the AF on the D700 - but it does have a much faster frame rate (than the D800).

So a lot depends on your specific needs, shooting style and subject matter. I personally would not swap a K5 for a D7000, I can find no major improvement in any area and indeed there are a substantial number of negatives. You may be better off waiting for the next round of DX cameras to hit the market - they will probably be announced this Autumn at Photokina (probably from all three manufacturers). In the meantime just take more shots with your K5 as it's a superb camera - if it is a critical shot then fire off a couple of shots, refocus, recompose and fire again to be sure you have a shot with the focus where you want it.

As an aside I'll say that a lot of focusing errors which posters complain about (no matter, Pentax /Nikon / Canon etc.) are often shown to be user error either in use or incorrect settings or just over-expectation that the camera will hit the spot you want (but is instead missing that fabled mindreader.exe application). I'm not saying that is the issue here, just a general fact.

Last edited by Frogfish; 07-29-2012 at 03:05 AM.
07-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #23

You probably had to recompose after a focus lock. If the focus lock is inadvertently released while recomposing, a refocus when you clicked could have been responsible.

I have lost focus lock, even while being careful while recomposing.

You are obviously experienced, so take it easy with your retort. Besides, this is my first post and I am not a photographer, more reasons for you to be magnanimous.

Since I do need to introduced myself, I have owned a Pentax SLR since 1997 - Pentax MZ-50, *1st D, K7 and K-30. My current lenses include FA 50/1.4, 18-55, 55-300 and 10-17 Fisheye.
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
Banned

Wait for PhotoKina. If it is going to be Pentax or Nikon, both will have some new offerings.
07-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
I have lost focus lock, even while being careful while recomposing.
I have also, but I have just recently noticed that I could do that, and have wondered how often I've messed up my focus by doing that! As you said, maybe that happened to the OP here.
07-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd do another AF adjust...you could also see if there is a diff with live view AF. Then if that doesn't work out, rent or borrow a D7000 and play with it for a few days.

Life's too short to use something that is not working for you. I'd definitely wait for Photokina before buying anything though at this point.
07-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please comment on these matters too, gentlemen.

Here are the things in D7k that can lure me to it;

- Possibly better AF and AF tracking options
- That you can see selected AF points and WB in the upper LCD so you can turn the color LCD off
- Better, faster interface roaming, responsive buttons and wheels
- Equivalent IQ to the k-5 so I won't lose any when I jump ship
- Quieter focusing lenses compared to my current kit (thinking 35 1.8G or 24 2.8D, and 85 1.8D, and yes, Nikon's motor lenses are quieter compared to Pentax motor)
- The fact that I will actually get lighter with the above-told lenses kit (FA* 85: 550gr, Sigma 30mm: 407 gr; -----whereas nikkor 85 1.8D: 380gr, nikkor 35 1.8G: 197 gr, OR 24 2.8D: 268gr)
- My lenses expand the size of the tiny k-5 as a kit, so smallness is not a factor with me in Pentax
- Being a Nikonian feels more convenient

Reasons that still attach me to the k-5;

- Lowlight success (not sure how the D7k compares here)
- Quiet shutter
- The FA* 85
- IQ and RAW headroom
- SR (quite so much useful for me in getting below 1/60 so I can use iso 800 and f/1.4 in a nearly dark interior)
- The fact that I sometimes am very into using those full manual and m42 lenses and that even old Nikkors cost nearly as much as their AF equivalents
- Whole lotta options, of which nearly 65% I don't use (but nice having them)
- Nice jpeg output so I can use straight output jpegs where I can trust my exposure or when I don't have the time for RAW-processing
- Small but good; that I have a viewfinder expander
- D7k feels boxy and rectangular, compared to my old, curvy, woman-like D90 and the angled and muscular K-5
- I just feel it is still too early to give up the k-5 (I've been using it for 5 months)
- Being a Pentaxian feels better and out of the ordinary
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I bought a D7000 as an upgrade to a K7. Reason I didn't go a K5 was I couldn't buy a Sigma 100-300/4 in Pentax mount and I didn't trust the 60-250/4 Pentax's SDM (probably not an issue but hey, it's my money!). Purchased the Sigma of these forums for a decent price.

here's some of my thoughts on some of your questions...

QuoteQuote:
- Possibly better AF and AF tracking options
AF on the D7000 is light years better than the K7. AF-C actually works! I also have the 16-85 VR Nikkor and it also performs well.

QuoteQuote:
- Better, faster interface roaming, responsive buttons and wheels
Maybe I don't know the Nikon interface well enough yet, I but much prefer Pentaxs menu system.

QuoteQuote:
- Lowlight success (not sure how the D7k compares here)
I use 3200 regularly and it looks better than 800 on my K7 (that I would only use at 1250 in desperation)

QuoteQuote:
- Quiet shutter
K7 much quieter, but in use, I don't care (not a wedding tog!)

QuoteQuote:
- The fact that I sometimes am very into using those full manual and m42 lenses and that even old Nikkors cost nearly as much as their AF equivalents
I already had several old Nikkors

QuoteQuote:
- Nice jpeg output so I can use straight output jpegs where I can trust my exposure or when I don't have the time for RAW-processing
I have found I've needed to bump the sharpness of .jpgs, just like the Pentax

QuoteQuote:
- D7k feels boxy and rectangular, compared to my old, curvy, woman-like D90 and the angled and muscular K-5
I much prefer the D7000 size. I have a cheapo grip on the K7 just so it's easier to hold on to.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. I think the Pentax's auto WB is better, that's one thing the Nikon gets a bit wrong on early mornings (low contrast) at my sons footy matches! Clean up nicely on the computer but I'd prefer it get it right in the 1st place! Also, the mode button can be moved easily... that's caught me out a couple of times.
07-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, that was really enlightening. Even though you compared with the K-7 I got some points.

What lenses are you using and have you encountered any focusing issues like those on the k-5 discussed here?
07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
So far I'm pretty happy with it. I think the Pentax's auto WB is better, that's one thing the Nikon gets a bit wrong on early mornings (low contrast) at my sons footy matches! Clean up nicely on the computer but I'd prefer it get it right in the 1st place!
The Auto WB issue is also a criticism of the D800 on the Nikon boards - the 5DIII seems to blow it away in this regard and no, it's not always easy to clean up in PP, especially in mixed lighting, unless you are shooting RAW of course.