Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Switching from the K-5 to D7000; Am I overreacting?

Hello,

I am a little bit tired of the AF failures, or rather objectively, the "AF character" of my k-5. And slightly clunky interface of the K-5 also drives me crazy sometimes.

Shot today.

- Here I used the center AF point, AF-S. The focusing point was the man's DSLR. But the k-5 thought it was a better idea to focus on his shoulder.

The moving subjects I get, but still subects like this, I just don't get how the camera focuses on something else. I know the central AF point covers a huge area but, I just tought there was sufficient contrast in where the man's finger meets his camera, or between his nose and the camera.

Whenever I go out to take some street shots I experience this kinda misfocused images in 20-30% of my shots. I corrected the backfocus in my body just enough, then I was happy but I realized that it is not only the backfocus that caused misfocused images.
--

What I mean by "clunky interface" is the delay in Instant review, sometimes Play/Delete buttons ignoring my presses and the slight general unresponsiveness of the buttons while roaming in the menu or doing settings in picture control modes. Additional to clunky, setting dials are unresponsive at times, ignoring my first or later fast turning clicks, or ignoring some of them so I won't know which aperture I'm at until I check with the screen. Coming from nikon D90 I am just mad at always having to check the screen whether I got it right. Turn the wheel fast, and you won't know what you set.

The above are main reasons to drive me away from Pentax. Here are the things in D7k that can lure me to it;

- Possibly better AF and AF tracking options
- That you can see selected AF points and WB in the upper LCD so you can turn the color LCD off
- Better, faster interface roaming, responsive buttons and wheels
- Equivalent IQ to the k-5 so I won't lose any when I jump ship
- Quieter focusing lenses compared to my current kit (thinking 35 1.8G or 24 2.8D, and 85 1.8D, and yes, Nikon's motor lenses are quieter compared to Pentax motor)
- The fact that I will actually get lighter with the above-told lenses kit (FA* 85: 550gr, Sigma 30mm: 407 gr; -----whereas nikkor 85 1.8D: 380gr, nikkor 35 1.8G: 197 gr, OR 24 2.8D: 268gr)
- My lenses expand the size of the tiny k-5 as a kit, so smallness is not a factor with me in Pentax
- Being a Nikonian feels more convenient

Reasons that still attach me to the k-5;

- Lowlight success (not sure how the D7k compares here)
- Quiet shutter
- The FA* 85
- IQ and RAW headroom
- SR (quite so much useful for me in getting below 1/60 so I can use iso 800 and f/1.4 in a nearly dark interior)
- The fact that I sometimes am very into using those full manual and m42 lenses and that even old Nikkors cost nearly as much as their AF equivalents
- Whole lotta options, of which nearly 65% I don't use (but nice having them)
- Nice jpeg output so I can use straight output jpegs where I can trust my exposure or when I don't have the time for RAW-processing
- Small but good; that I have a viewfinder expander
- D7k feels boxy and rectangular, compared to my old, curvy, woman-like D90 and the angled and muscular K-5
- I just feel it is still too early to give up the k-5 (I've been using it for 5 months)
- Being a Pentaxian feels better and out of the ordinary

------

So now this is off my chest and let's please talk.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-28-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added imgwide tags
07-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What are the settings you used to shoot those photos?
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Not sure but it could be a setting issue or a focus adjustment issue.

Based on your post I checked the internet for D7000 issues. Seems like they are having problems too.
D7000 Focus Problems - Sold it on eBay: Nikon D90 - D40 / D7000 - D3000 Forum: Digital Photography Review
07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to EXIF: f/1.8, ISO 3200, 85mm. Pretty shallow DOF then.

Have you tested the camera/lens combo for front-focusing, and made the necessary adjustments?

If you genuinely try to make things work, but are still not happy with the results, then you are not overreacting. Perhaps you were born to be a Nikonian!

07-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ledave AF-S, Center AF point, as I told above.

@john5100, I don't know, there were problems with D7000s in the beginning but now I don't encounter that much. Maybe they corrected them in later parties or maybe many people have given up the d7000.

@luftfluss yeah as I told above, there was a slight backfocusing in the body and I corrected it. Not having any back- or frontfocusing issues any more.
07-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Is there any way that you can lay your hands on a D7000 to do some intensive side by side tests? I know that Pentax has some issues with focus accuracy but do other brands of cameras use a substantially different and more sophisticated autofocus system than does Pentax. From what I've heard that if you get into the higher end Canon and Nikon cameras, some of those issues aren't as prevalent, but we're talking about cameras that are orders of magnitude more expensive than a K5.

From some of the comments and photos I've seen taken with the K5, that is my dream camera. I wish you luck in your search, but my suggestion is if you can do an actual side-by-side comparison of the same subject so you can convince yourself that one camera is better than the other, I would be hesitant to make the jump, but that depends on how much you have invested in the Pentax system. And you can easily dispose of your Pentax equipment on this forum if your decision, after doing your side-by-side tests, is to move from Pentax to Canon or Nikon. In the end what you decide won't be determined by someone else's opinion, but your own desires. No one on this forum is that much of a fan-boy to insist that you are crazy to switch from Pentax to another brand. I'll bet we all don't drive the same brand of cars!
07-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
According to EXIF: f/1.8, ISO 3200, 85mm. Pretty shallow DOF then.

Have you tested the camera/lens combo for front-focusing, and made the necessary adjustments?

If you genuinely try to make things work, but are still not happy with the results, then you are not overreacting. Perhaps you were born to be a Nikonian!
Just wondering if you could point me to some more info on testing for camera/lens combo front-focusing. I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks!
07-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Forum Member

For a camera with truly amazing AF, check out a Nikon D300 (or D300S if you want video). You can break even on one if you sell your K5 body.

07-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
d300 from k-5 will certainly be a downgrade on IQ and lowlight. so, no. @jimH I laid my hands on a d7k many a time but I had no opp. to do an extensive test. I am reading the ready-made comparions on the internet
07-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riveredger Quote
For a camera with truly amazing AF, check out a Nikon D300 (or D300S if you want video).
As the D7000 was later than the D300, wouldn't one expect the AF capability to be better on the D7000 as well? Or am I missing something? Not that I believe the D300 is deficient, or anything.
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no harm in switching systems. Life is too short to shoot with gear that doesn't work with you. That said, you might do better going to a D700. Even though it is an older camera, it holds up really well and certainly will beat a K5 with regard to auto focus.
07-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most systems have their problems with AF in low light. F/1.8, ISO 3200 sounds dim. I'd recommend spot-beam from a nice flash for AF assist in this case. I bet with a spot beam from the flash, the AF would've nailed it. That's what I do with my K20d. Whether a Nikon would be better for you or not, I don't know, but I think you are asking a whole lot for any camera to nail AF in low light with a wide aperture / long lens.

BTW, if you don't have a flash with spot beam, the AF400ftz has one that works and since the flash doesn't have an auto mode that works with DSLRs, it can be found cheap (I had one I got for $20). It's bulky, but spotbeam is a life saver in low light. There are smaller options as well.
07-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My opinion is if you think it will make you happy to switch then go for it.

Life is too short, you should be having fun with your photography.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
07-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
As the D7000 was later than the D300, wouldn't one expect the AF capability to be better on the D7000 as well? Or am I missing something? Not that I believe the D300 is deficient, or anything.
The D300 uses 51 points with 15 cross types. I believe the D7k has a 39 point system with 9 cross types.
07-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You might want to look at this if you haven't already.