Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
racinsince55

"All things to All People"

Last year, 2007, I purchased a K10D. I upgraded from the K100D because I liked the features offered in the K10D that were not present in the K100D, or its predecessors.

Now comes the K20D. A Camera which takes all of the advancement of the K10D and improves upon taking the camera to a higher level. They add a 14mp CMOS sensor, expanded ISO range, add a PC socket, and a plethora of in camera advancements.

In my 45+ years as a Pentax user, I have never known Pentax to ever make an attempt to be "All things to all people", and I don't expect they ever will.

Now, it seems, since the K20D doesn't fit this "all things" scenario it is being deemed by some, before the first production model is even in anyones hands, an un-impressive failure.

I never cease to be amazed.

BTW, I can't wait to get my hands on a K20D.

r

01-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In looking at the bitches about the K20 which are amazing since no one has actually held one yet, just looked ar the reviews and specs, the thing that I wonder is whether it is enough of a change to justify moving to a K20 from K10.

Personally, I am not so sure. My K10 does very well in most instances, and for the three that it does not, (ISO 3200, flash with K mount and metering with K mount) I still have my *istD.

ALthough the K20 does do 14 MP, and 6400 ISO with reported excellent results, I am not sure it is enough to jump right away.

I might actually pass on this one.

That does not mean that someone with a 6MP camera looking for more resolution, would also passs, for them, it may be a good step forward.

whether it is a success or failure will depend upon a lot of other things, most importantly good lenses. Its time for the range to become fuller.
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
Last year, 2007, I purchased a K10D. I upgraded from the K100D because I liked the features offered in the K10D that were not present in the K100D, or its predecessors.

Now comes the K20D. A Camera which takes all of the advancement of the K10D and improves upon taking the camera to a higher level. They add a 14mp CMOS sensor, expanded ISO range, add a PC socket, and a plethora of in camera advancements.

In my 45+ years as a Pentax user, I have never known Pentax to ever make an attempt to be "All things to all people", and I don't expect they ever will.

Now, it seems, since the K20D doesn't fit this "all things" scenario it is being deemed by some, before the first production model is even in anyones hands, an un-impressive failure.

I never cease to be amazed.
I participate in a number of websites dedicated to my various enthusiasms (cars, sailboats, synthesizers, digital keyboards). While introduction of a new product within these categories can generate disappointment to some, nothing compares to the anguish the release of a new camera body seems to inflict on the faithful. The phenomenon isn't limited to Pentax and repeats itself (almost down to the level of individual threads) every time Canon, Nikon or Pentax disturb the equilibrium with a new offering.

Frankly, the whole thing continues to baffle me. I'm too iconoclastic to emotionally identify with the manufacturer of anything, so introduction of a new camera to me brings joy (it's got the stuff to make me want one) or a comfortable indifference (not much new) that allows me to keep my cash in my pocket.

Nevertheless, some folks - locked into Pentax with a major lens investment - develop a specific need for a charateristic their current Pentax lacks. I can hardly blame them when each successive body doesn't deliver on that need.

Jer
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I participate in a number of websites dedicated to my various enthusiasms (cars, sailboats, synthesizers, digital keyboards). While introduction of a new product within these categories can generate disappointment to some, nothing compares to the anguish the release of a new camera body seems to inflict on the faithful. The phenomenon isn't limited to Pentax and repeats itself (almost down to the level of individual threads) every time Canon, Nikon or Pentax disturb the equilibrium with a new offering.
I'm sure the anguish is tied to the system "investment", understandably for some they see the body as being the weakest link in the system and it's hard to argue that that's not the case for Pentax as most owners of other camera marques respect Pentax optics.