Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

K-x Upgrade to K-5 or Wait?

Well as the title says its time for me to upgrade I have a K-x which I like but I dont have the best eyesight and the lack of viewfinder focus indicating point is starting to drive me a little crazy with mis focused shots.

So based on current rading the K-5 seems to be my obvious pick (in veiwfinder focus point and weather proof to match my lenses) but is it worth the wait for the K-? slated for release in September am I better off being an early buyer of the newest camera with features currently unknown or do I go with the proven K-5.

I understand this is a decision based on personal preference usually but wondering if anyone out there in internet land is facing a similar decision and what has lead you to the decision you have made.

Mike

07-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mike_perth Quote
wait for the K-? slated for release in September am I better off being an early buyer of the newest camera with features currently unknown or do I go with the proven K-5.
I am sure you know but that "release" is pure rumor. Pentax has given no notice that they intend to announce or release any camera. While speculation continues to run wild, it is only that. Even if they do announce a new camera at Photokina it is likely it would not actually be available for some months after that, possibly December or even first quarter 2013.

Only you can decide if you want to wait that long. You might also look at the k-30 just released which is getting good reviews and covers both of the points you bring up.

Another thing, if the lack of focus indicators in the k-x bothers you just use center point, that way you know where it is focusing. I have never used anything but center point, I still do not understand how anyone can use a camera that picks what it wants to focus on, that's my job. But of course maybe I am missing something.
07-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Waiting for the 'next best thing' never works for me. You don't know what is going to be announced or if it's what you'll want, you don't know how much it's going to cost (but you will certainly be paying a premium for the first few months), and you don't know when it'll actually be available to buy. Then there are two points that are always salient, a) it will be a longer wait than I want and b) it will always be more than I want to pay so will need to wait until the price drops.

The K5 is however, proven deliciousness and available at an amazingly low price for such a stunning camera.
07-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd give the K-30 a very hard look, if I were you. While it lacks the LCD on top like the K5 it has essentially the same sensor and the menus and a few other things are improved over the K5, not to mention that the video is improved. I've had my hands on two K-30's over the last two weekends and while I love my K5, I'm very impressed with the K-30. Check it out.

07-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #5

I went from a k-x to the k-5 a couple months ago when the first big decrease happened and I don't regret it one bit. It's so much camera for a great price.
07-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am sure you know but that "release" is pure rumor. Pentax has given no notice that they intend to announce or release any camera. While speculation continues to run wild, it is only that. Even if they do announce a new camera at Photokina it is likely it would not actually be available for some months after that, possibly December or even first quarter 2013.

Only you can decide if you want to wait that long. You might also look at the k-30 just released which is getting good reviews and covers both of the points you bring up.
I agree, we don't know what Photokina will bring. Most are expecting a K-5 replacement, but the price is likely to $1500-$1900, depending on whether it's a direct replacement or an upscale replacement. As you said, it will not be available right away, and when it is available, early adopters will pay top dollar.

Another thing, if the lack of focus indicators in the k-x bothers you just use center point, that way you know where it is focusing. I have never used anything but center point, I still do not understand how anyone can use a camera that picks what it wants to focus on, that's my job. But of course maybe I am missing something.
You aren't missing anything. There was a poll about this a couple of years ago. According to the results, the majority of people here use Center Focus and Recompose.
08-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for your opinions.

Well I went to the camera shop and played with both and fell in love 100% with the K-5 in the end it came down to ergonomics and for me it was the k-5 it just felt right in my hand.

So im the very proud owner of the K-5 like my K-x I got it with the kit 18-55 so when I on sell in a few years I have a new lens to put back on it. All up $989 AUD so pretty happy with that!!

Thanks Again.
08-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations!
Excellent deal, where did you get it from?
kind regards
jack

08-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #9

+1 Mike well done, I'm in Perth too, where did you buy?

Last edited by Musto Pentaxian; 08-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
08-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
Sorry Guys - Was a camera store in downtown Hong Kong - If you want the name ill find the recipt - I travel for work so asked a taxi driver to take me to a camera store (wasnt going to buy one just killing time) and when they said the price I figured why not - not like me im not an impulse buyer but I was in love!
08-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats! I am sure you will be happy with the k5 for quite a while. It is an amazing piece of technology and will give you a lot of great features to play with.
08-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's my method as well, regardless of the camera I use. Just makes sense. The lack of focus indicator doesn't bother me. I use 2 K-x bodies & haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. I get what I want out of them.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would also suggest to give the K-30 a good look. The K-5 is a very good camera and waiting is something we always do