Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #1

pictures to computer

hello everyone. its amanda again. ive been enjoying my new K110D camera all week and yesterday tried to put the pictures from it onto my computer. when i plug it in and turn the camera on nothing happens on my computer. it is plugged in though because it says 'Pc' on my camera. also, when i go into my computer theres nothing there. is there a setting on my camera it should be on? i looked all through the manual with no luck. my problems seem so frustrating to me but always end up with a simple answer. ( like when it wouldnt take a picture, my lens wasnt on right ) but oh well, what can you do im only young. if anyone could help that would be great. sorry this is so long i got carried away. happy new year!

12-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AmandaJL Quote
hello everyone. its amanda again. ive been enjoying my new K110D camera all week and yesterday tried to put the pictures from it onto my computer. when i plug it in and turn the camera on nothing happens on my computer. it is plugged in though because it says 'Pc' on my camera. also, when i go into my computer theres nothing there. is there a setting on my camera it should be on? i looked all through the manual with no luck. my problems seem so frustrating to me but always end up with a simple answer. ( like when it wouldnt take a picture, my lens wasnt on right ) but oh well, what can you do im only young. if anyone could help that would be great. sorry this is so long i got carried away. happy new year!
Hi

It would be a lot easier to get a card reader and transfer your pictures from the sd card that way.
what operating system are you using?
if it is windows xp, once you get your card reader and plug it into a usb port, in windows go to my computer, then your card reader will show up as a mass storage devise.
the other way to do this is to go start, run, then find the mass storage usb drive (they usually show up with the name of you card reader) then choose to show all files, then when the picture files show up, highlight them all and choose open.
you will need some sort of software to view them

hope this helps

and a happy new year to you, too!

randy
12-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello Amanda ~ and a very Happy New Year to you & yours, too.

I am sure that someone will chime in with some helpful info for you, on this matter. But I agree with Randy. Going the route of a card reader would be the best way. A direct transfer from you camera-to-pc puts a lot of taxation on the battery, and the only way to defeat that (if you really wish to handle your transfers that way) would be to purchase a power supply/adapter for your camera. Card readers are so inexpensive, these days (if you don't already have a pc integrated one), and - IMO - offers a much more expeditious way of doing what you desire to do.

Have fun with your K10D (as I am ).
12-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes. my mother keeps saying we need to get xp, but we havent yet. i am currently using windowsme millenium(very old). so is the card reader the only way to do it then? if so, can i get one anywhere? oh and i do have an adapter with it. ok thanks again - Amanda

12-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

hi amanda,
if you load the pentax software and open the photo browser in the tool bar click on easy image transfer and it should look for the camera or card reader and ask you where you want to download to.sometimes i have to close the browser when finished and re-open it to open the folder I don't know why,maybe it's my computer.I click on the icon in the bottom toolbar to "safely remove hardware" too,on my pc.

hope this helps
tb
12-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have Windows XP? Just now, although Windows detected my K100D as the "new hardware device", the XP camera wizard did not provide any transfer option as it has in the past with my Canon A620 (if I recall correctly - it has been a while). Have you installed the Photo Browser software? Did you try using the "Easy Transfer" function it has? Have you tried using a USB card reader? I used to transfer images with just the XP wizard and a card reader - but now I have the card slot in this computer and my card just becomes "disk "D".
12-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

thats ur problem right there....windows ME. might not recognize the 110d as a mass storage device. (as you said..too old) best bet is a card reader.....
12-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

yes. my mother keeps saying we need to get xp, but we havent yet. i am currently using windowsme millenium(very old). so is the card reader the only way to do it then? if so, can i get one anywhere? oh and i do have an adapter with it. ok thanks again - Amanda
It should not be to much of a problem with Millenium. I don't have that OS, but can try to help if you need it.
A card reader is avalible at most big chain stores, including walmart.
Make sure if is a newer one, as sometimes old stock is sold for a discount price, but it might not be compatable with your sd card. just ask the retailer, just in case.

what photo software are you using?

certain programs, like photoshop elements, will automatically sense that your card has photos, and automatically bring in the photos into it's browser.

hope this helps

let me know

randy

12-31-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Amanda,

Unfortunately the PhotoBrowser 3 software will work only with Windows 2000 or XP. It may not install on properly or work Windows ME.

What you can try to do is get a good card reader (like SanDisk ImageMate...less than $20 USD) that has compatibilty with Windows ME. If you can't find the "compatible with Windows ME" on the packaging, you might try one that will work with Windows 98 or 98 SE because ME is based on those older systems.

Feel free to post if you need more help.
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Amanda. Like every one has suggested a card reader is the way to go. For you, running ME, it's the ONLY way to go. However, it's not the end of the world. Staples amongst lots of other places (Radio Shack, probably most Walmarts etc) have card readers. Get one that has the drivers for Win 98/ME. It will say so on the package. You need the drivers for 98/ME. Install the drivers and it should recognise the reader. Plug in your card and you are in business! One last question, I wouldn't ask this, but your computer is pretty old, does it have USB? I'm assuming it does. I hope so, because if it doesn't, you will have to ask here for more directions. Let us know how you make out.

NaCl(we'll get you up and running yet)H2O
01-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
thats ur problem right there....windows ME. might not recognize the 110d as a mass storage device. (as you said..too old) best bet is a card reader.....
I would expect ME to work but you may need to make sure that you have all (especially USB) updates installed.
01-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
I would expect ME to work but you may need to make sure that you have all (especially USB) updates installed.

I was gonna suggest to run windows update, but thats a whole lot of fun in itself....LoL

I should install ME on a scap box and see how she would handle..
01-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #13

Original Poster
hello. thanks everyone for your help. looks like i will be purchasing a card reader. hopefully it will work. i'll let you know if it does when i get it.
Amanda