Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #1

DONE: Need help making a decision

QUICK!

Somebody give me reasons NOT to upgrade from my *ist DL to a K10D!!!

I'm about to pull the trigger!

Last edited by paden501; 01-28-2008 at 05:41 PM.
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
QUICK!

1. You need a K200D
  2. You need a K20D
  3. You don't have enough money
  4. You don't want a camera that doesn't use AA batteries
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QUICK!

1) Jan '08: You instead decide to spend the money on a limited prime, reasoning that this will improve your images more than a new body/more megapixels.

2) Feb '08: You purchase the 77 f1.8 limited. Average image IQ increases 50%. You are very very happy with your decision.

3) Mar '08: You've become accustomed to your new standard for IQ, and the buzz is gone. You purchase the DA* 50-135. Sharpest zoom ever made, IQ increases again.

4) Apr '08: The buzz dies even quicker this time. You buy the 31mm limited. New worlds of portraiture are open to you.

5) May '08: Palms sweaty, you break down and buy the K20D after reading all the positive reviews, including Rice High's.

So, in conclusion: Don't bother buying the K10D, you'll have the K20d in 4 months anyway.

01-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
hmm...

The problem is... none of those are really true...

I don't see any advantages (for me) of a K200D or K20D over the K10D
With the awesome holiday rebate that runs through the end of the month, I can get a K10D for like $500 after rebate which isn't bad.
I could care less about AA batteries...

man... now i'm even closer to pulling the trigger.

01-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

hmm...

The problem is... none of those are really true...

I don't see any advantages (for me) of a K200D or K20D over the K10D
With the awesome holiday rebate that runs through the end of the month, I can get a K10D for like $500 after rebate which isn't bad.
I could care less about AA batteries...

man... now i'm even closer to pulling the trigger.
Do it. C'mon, just do it. Don't be a wimp. You can do it. Hold your breath and squeeeeeeze that trigger.
01-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #6

There aren't any! If you feel the need to move up from your ist DL then the K10D is an excellent camera, especially given the really good deals around at the moment.

Most people who own a K10D will not be getting the best out of the camera, or do not need any more than it offers (which is a 'hell-of-a-lot'). Buying a K20D instead will not advance your photography one iota unless it has some feature that you desperately need.

Otherwise I suggest you wait for th 'K30D' or 'K40D' or or or.......... and never buy a new camera!

Anyway, whatever you choose to do, Good Luck
01-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm playing around with a 14mp camera at the moment, and my good old K100D is pretty much matching it picture for picture. So I don't think that anyone should rush to the store and buy the latest greatest camera.
Sure there will be some improvements, but unless you plan on making poster sized pictures you'll rarely see the differences.

However lenses as pointed out make a big difference. That's where you should spend your money if you want improved image quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

5) May '08: Palms sweaty, you break down and buy the K20D after reading all the positive reviews, including Rice High's.
Thanks for the laugh this line gave me jsherman

I don't mind Rice High, he's just stating his honest opinion in most cases.
It doesn't mean that he's right or wrong.
I've seen him offer some very good advice to some people, although he's usually ridiculed for it.

01-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #8

You really like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 as it does not have a Pentax mount and want to switch to Canon. That was my dilema when I chose the K10D. I did not regret my decision aside from the AWB, sometimes I really don't want to play around with the white balance .
01-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nah! go on...jump! JUMP!! I said ...you're going to anyway, so why wait?
Cheers.
01-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't mind Rice High, he's just stating his honest opinion in most cases.
Most people here state their honest opinions. RH doesn't have mere opinions; he has an agenda.

"Because it has something that you don't have, Max. It has a philosophy. And that is what makes it dangerous." -- Videodrome
01-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The other question is will you keep the DL? Do you have a need for a backup body? The *ist series is still getting $250-300 on Ebay ($300 at least with a kit lens, box and all original parts) So if you got $300 less the Ebay/Paypal fees, you should net at least $250.00 SO the K10D would only cost you $250 or so out of pocket. At that price, the decision would be a no brainer.

The minute you look at the first pic on the larger LCD you'll be happy. The increased feature set is well worth the upgrade.

There are a couple of downsides though. TTL/P-TTL flash on the *ist series and the K10D is only P-TTL so if you do a lot of flash shooting and have an older flash now, you'll need to upgrade the flash. But the K10D has wireless and adjustable Ev comp which is a huge plus IMO.

Higher ISO shooting. *ist series cameras (and K100/110) shoot high ISO's better but the K10D does a decent job.
01-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the only reason not to, is if you intend to discard it and get a K20D when it becomes available.

I don't know shipping dates yet, but the K10D was announced in may-june time frame, and I got mine dec 23. They were scarce at that.

I have shot over 6000 frames with it in a year,

Therefore if you need the features the K10- has can you go 6 months and 3000 plus photos ( perhaps a holiday or 2) without it. if the answer is yes, buy a lens or something else now, if it is no get the K10, prices wont get much better and it will make a much better back up to you rnext camera.

Since you won a DL, all yo loose is the 3200 ISO. If it was a DS, i would say keep the DS because it can do TTL flash with old lenses

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-28-2008 at 06:23 AM.
01-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #13

Original Poster
Actually the DL doesn't do TTL... only P-TTL. The other big thing that I dislike about the DL is the focus hunting and only one AF point.... soooo many times I have had trouble setting up a shot because it'll only focus right in the middle of the screen.

I don't know what I'm missing as far as SR goes... I've never had it so I don't miss it. But the focus speed of the DL is a drag and I miss a lot of shots because of it. My main hope is that a K10 fixes that problem. If I'm still not happy, then I'll just have to get a DA* 16-50 to go with it eventually :-)

I'm going to the camera store to get some hands-on time and then I'm probably going to place my order tomorrow.

Thanks for the pep talk guys!
01-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the DL doesn't do TTL... only P-TTL. The other big thing that I dislike about the DL is the focus hunting and only one AF point.... soooo many times I have had trouble setting up a shot because it'll only focus right in the middle of the screen.

I don't know what I'm missing as far as SR goes... I've never had it so I don't miss it. But the focus speed of the DL is a drag and I miss a lot of shots because of it. My main hope is that a K10 fixes that problem. If I'm still not happy, then I'll just have to get a DA* 16-50 to go with it eventually :-)

I'm going to the camera store to get some hands-on time and then I'm probably going to place my order tomorrow.

Thanks for the pep talk guys!
As I said in my post, all you give up is iso3200. *istD and DS have TTL, I kept my *istD for these 2 reasons, Tke shake reduction on the K10 is very good, I use it with long lenses, and have had acceptible shots at 1/30 of a second with 300mm. The question is, I can't comment on how much of that is technique and how much is the SR. For interior and low light spots, SR is a real benefit.
I cannot comment on only 1 focusing sensor as both my bodies have multiple sensors, but I spend most time in center focus and spot metering.
01-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #15

Original Poster
I guess the only time that I miss multiple focus points is when I'm doing portraits. I rarely do a portrait where the subject's eyes are directly in the middle of the photo so it gets difficult to frame your shot.

Giving up on ISO3200 isn't a big deal as I never find my 3200 shots acceptable on my DL anyway... they're 99% throw-away photos.. (actually ISO1600 shot are too mostly)

The big main reason that I want a K10D is the SDM lens support because I'll definately be getting a DA * 16-50 sometime this spring, if I get the K10...