Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #16

Low light capability & features

I entered the film era watching my Dad processing his own b&w. I was given a Praktika Nova 35mm slr, super basic and fully manual with no light meter), followed that with my own Canon Ae1 & program.

Family and lack of $$$ got in the way of serious photography for many years until my first digital, which was the Fuji s7000. Brilliant little camera, reminiscent of the feel and materials used to build the Kx. The s7000 clipped highlights, but awesome macro and stunning monochrome.(yes the EVF was so bad, no point being there !!) I used Live view exclusively and so, can't be bothered with the moaning about the K=01.

I wanted a Kx, but Pentax importer in NZ was hopeless and Caniksony all had the monopoly. I ended up settling for a Canon 450D, which I liked the feel and AF, but the results and feature set werent a match for the Kx.

I enjoy a fair bit of low light shooting, plus superior dynamic range,built in HDR, filters etc were calling me still. I ended up getting one on Ebay and sold the 450d.

I like the way Pentax gets so much out of the same sensor used by Sony themselves and even against the Nikon. The clean high iso shots at 1600, the colours from jpeg, dynamic range, use of old legacy glass, solid feel, built in SR, WR capability, Kx still capable of keeping up with entry level cams.

Maybe also i like under dogs, love prime lenses, someone willing to challenge the staus quo.

Give me any camera and I'll take photo's.................but Pentax suits my purposes right now, they take a lot of beating in the Low and mid range APS-C level.

08-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started on a Zenit, progressed to a spottie, then left for a nikon F kit that was just too good a deal, next camera was a nikon as well (hated this one) then aI went to Canon for the AE1 and A1, that kit got stolen and I went to the MZ5 which was the nicest of all the bodies i tried at the time. added an mz 50 as a backup and when digital came along and the ds came out i made the leap (i had tried the canons and nikons but the ds was just so nice)
Have other cameras in film though I'm not completely brand loyal (Fad, Konica, Mamiya, Canon, Oly and Bronica aside from Pentax in my film kit, and an Oly 300 that is my wife's dslr)
the great old lenses and excellent value bodies keep me with pentax. My second choice would be nikon
08-03-2012, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax K1000

I started with Minolta many, many years ago but sold them. When I moved to Nevada I needed a camera so I bought a Pentax K1000 with a M 50 2.0 at a pawn shop in Reno in the early 80s. That camera and lens have put up with more crap and they are still working strong. It has photographed the antics of my drunk friends, my four kids, and now my 12 grandkids. I have never looked back.

I own a lot more cameras now, and a couple are even digital. But I wish that Pentax would build a digital K1000 that was true to the original, I would buy it in a heartbeat, and I bet a whole bunch of other people would too.
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a used Pentax in a pawn shop in 1961. I've never seen the need to change brands for the latest and greatest, and Pentax has followed a policy of upgrading while still maintaining compatibility with the old. I could gradually move into the bayonet mount when my original Pentax wore out. My normal kit is the three DA lenses I own, an M 100/4 macro and my "mistress" the M 400/5.6. My wife uses the MZ-S and FA 24-90, but is starting to get a little fed up with the hassle of getting film developed, so there is probably a second dSLR in the not so distant future in our family.

08-03-2012, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Albums
Because I choose to, (it's a PENTAX thing). If you don"t get it, you never will!
08-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I cut my teeth on my father's 70's vintage Minolta. I shot for the school newsletter and yearbook, and quickly learned how to manage the manual settings. My girlfriend (now wife) had an X-700 and the program mode was nice, but still full-manual was very useful.

I'll also buy rugged over delicate when choosing any equipment. Yeah, it may mean heavier but if I can't trust something to work, I don't want it around. In-camera shake-reduction meant I could use any lenses on the camera and reap the technology benefit.

So when it came time to look for DSLRs, I found Pentax was on top of these two criteria. That the image quality was as good as the competition sealed the deal. I enjoy macro and some other specialty photography, so the Pentax line of primes really attracted me.
08-03-2012, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok this may sound stupid but... Because I like to stand out.
08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #23

I went to a store to try a d3100, because of the tv ad that that showed the "assistant" mode that explained each settings. I was hesitant after handling the d3100, so I went to a local store that I knew sold dslr. They sell only pentaxes. I didn't even knew what a pentax was, but the camera just felt right in my hands when I tried it. But I was still hesitant mostly because I was still riding the canikon fanboi wave. After doing my research on entry level dslr, I picked the k-x. No regrets ever since.

08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Started out on a Rebel because I found one in a Walmart for $285 in 2009. I also knew Canon had a good reputation among astrophotographers, and I love astronomy. It served me well, but as I learned more about the dslr market, I came to appreciate Pentax for many of the same reasons as others: IBIS, weather sealing, ergonomics, decades of K-mount lenses.
08-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #25

I got into photography for a hobby about 20 years ago. At that time I held the latest Nikon and Cannon along with the PZ-1. Needless to say, I fell in love with the PZ--1. I have always stuck with Pentax and probably always will. I don't even look at other camera brands. Besides, I have always been a little different and maybe even an oddball to a certain extent.
08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian

When I bought my first DSLR, the decision was easy, as I owned 3 Pentax SLR bodies and 6 lenses.

The step to my first (Pentax) SLR in 1981 was more complicated.
In hindsight, the reasons were:
1) I still had in mind the hype about the Spotmatic and the SMC Takumars.
2) The girlfriend of my best friend was a professional photographer and used a LX, and the shots with her M 1.4/50 were just fantastic.
3) I was still at university and short on money - even selling my Exa/Exakta SLRs would not have been enough to buy into a full Pentax/Nikon/Canon system. But the PK bayonet was used by a range of other brands and offered the possibility to first get such a camera/lens, and later change step by step to Pentax gear.

So I bought a new, very cheap Porst (PK bayonet, and specs as the Pentax ME) with a 2.0/50 lens. As I found the IQ wasn't any better than with the 2.8/50 Meyer Domiplan I had before, I very soon bought a Pentax SMC-M 2/50, which was MUCH better. Then I sold the complete Porst package, and the money was just enough to buy a used Pentax ME Super body.

Then I left university and, for a couple of years, money wasn't a big problem. I added a Super A with an A 1.4/50, 3 Tokina zooms, and a lot of additional gear. And (mainly for holidays) a Z-10 with the F 28-80. And for light, lighter, and very light travelling an Agfa Selectronic S, Minox GT, and Minox BL (all of them used).
08-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
Veteran Member

There are many things that helped bring me into the Pentax camp and will keep me around for some time. Other than my dad's old film Pentax gear and the middle school photography class I took I didn't have any hands on experience with Pentax. All of my digital SLR experience was with Canons and Nikons until I ordered my K-5 online without ever having handled it before. I based my decision off of reviews and this forum. The price point of the K-5 was a little higher than what I initially wanted to spend on a prosumer DSLR but after stacking up the feature set it offered against the competition, it was the best all-round option for me. Here's a list, in no particular order, of the features of the K-5 that appealed to me a lot: smallish size, full metal casing, weather resistance, 100% viewfinder, 7 frames per second, in-body auto focus motor, customizable user settings, TAv mode, in-body shake reduction, and, of course, its top rated sensor that gives a large dynamic range and great high ISO performance. The availability of WR lenses, the DA* f/2.8 zooms in my case, that weren't as expensive or as large as the competition's was also important to me. Then there are the little Pentax Limited lenses that are just awesome. I also really like the green button and I feel that the ergonomics of the K-5 are practically perfect. I've got very little to nit-pick about when it comes to my Pentax camera and lenses. Some things I wish I had with my Pentax set up though are: better auto focus, less purple fringing, faster flash sync, an upgrade path to 135 full frame, and more third party support.

I could eventually be led astray to Nikon, but hopefully not at the exclusion of Pentax. The benefits that appeal to me with switching to Nikon are the full frame cameras, more complete lens catalog, better flash system, better auto focus, and greater third party support to round out the lens options, flash system, and post processing software. The things that I don't like about such an idea are the generally higher prices, the large size of the cameras and lenses, and the not-as-good ergonomics. Canon's not even on my radar due to their lack luster sensors as of late and what I consider to be poor ergonomics. Nikon shares some of the same sensor technology as Pentax, has the front and rear dials on their mid to upper level bodies, and has a TAv mode on some cameras nowadays. Those would make me feel more comfortable with their set up coming from Pentax.

In sum, as a hobbyist/enthusiast, Pentax is ideal for me but if I were to ever need all the bells and whistles that would help for paid work I'd have to say Nikon offers more. I think that under the new Ricoh ownership/partnership Pentax stands a good chance to fill out the gaps in their system and make Pentax a more viable option for a larger base of photographers. I'm certainly hoping so. I also like rooting for the underdog.

Last edited by TomTextura; 08-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.
08-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Pentax fits my needs almost perfectly. I want slow, high quality glass for landscape photography, with outstanding color rendition. With Pentax, I've been able to build both a zoom and prime kit for landscapes for a reasonable cost. I could not do that with either Canon or Nikon. There is just no equivalent, price-wise, in Canikon land to lenses like the DA 16-45, DA 15, or older K and even M series primes. Nikon comes closest to competing with Pentax's older glass, but the older Nikon glass has inferior coatings, and some of the best of the older Nikon glass still tends to fetch more than the comparable Pentax offerings. And I prefer the color rendition of Pentax glass to anything I've seen from Nikon and particularly Canon. Color is a critical component of my work, and I get lots of compliments on that score from people who see my pictures. Other photographers assume I have some sort of post-processing trick for color, but really, I don't do much with the color in post; I rely mostly on the glass and good light.
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I was shooting Nikons ( FE & FM2) manual focus. Decided I wanted to go auto focus. I felt since I needed new glass, I was free to choose any brand. I tried Nikon, Canon and Minolta. I knew I wanted one of those, but none felt as good as what I was using. A good friend was the Pentax sales rep for Arizona, and asked me to do some part time demo stuff. He had a Pz-1. I played with it & fell in love. At that time I had a Canon credit card, so I charged my first Pentax purchase to that. Canon financed my entry to the world of Pentax. Here i shall remain.
I am a photographer and I shoot Pentax.
08-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #30

I won't discuss what 35mm SLR's I shoot, but will keep things to the digital side.

Since the retirement of my Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR to the collection, my current stable of digital gear includes -

DSLR's
Pentax K20D
Sony A100
Olympus E-520

P&S
(newly purchased) Nikon P7100

I shoot with a variety of makes and models because they all have their pros & cons depending on my photographic goals at the time.