Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
I was debating between Canon and Nikon, but saw Pentax at a lower price point (with better glass, at that) and did a hands on of all three, and preferred the feel of the K-r to the Canikons, also liked the controls/UI more. So it's an ergonomics thing, as well as price considerations when I bought (though that's shifted over the past year).

08-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Before buying K5 I did also look Bodies and lenses from Nikon, Canon and Sony. I did choosen K5 (=Pentax) cos I did not find small size body full of features from other brands. Pentax sensor OS and WR body.K5 is full of features, enough for me, easy to use, i love it.I not want full frame body cos of big size body and lenses. That time Nikon D300s was old, D7000 was looking good but K5 looked little better and also little cheeper and i not want carry OS on all lenses. SD cards. Canon have only one not FF body good 7D enough but too big size for me. Sony not have body for my needs.

5D i was thinking also seriously but size and weight of all package is something that i do not want to carry around. I like my K5, even it is not perfect but it is perfect choise for me!
08-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
Pentaxian

-Value
-A joy to use with old lenses
-Built-in Shake Reduction
-It's something not everyone else has
-Pentax cameras produce images unlike any other

On the last point, I've found myself looking at pictures taken by others and thinking "why do these look so...different? I really like them." Then I went to peek at the Exif and saw they were taken by a Pentax. It's just that intangible look that keeps me around...
08-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I can't remember the brand of my first M42 match needle SLR. It was an inexpensive system I obtained in 1976. I was hooked. In 1981 I came upon some money, sold my first SLR and the 2 prime lenses I had acquired, and used both to find a better system. A Minneapolis camera shop showed me several camera systems, but I fell in love with the Pentax Super Program. Well, I drooled over the top of the line Pentax LX too, but I didn't have THAT much money. I purchased the A 50mm/1.7 with the body, then over time added the Pentax-A 28mm, the Pentax-A 70-210mm (which I will soon be selling), and finally a 3rd party 28-80mm (mostly for snapshots - it wasn't the equal of the Pentax lenses). I loved my Ektachrome ... and when it become difficult to buy except via mail order, my Super Program increasingly sat on the shelf while I played with early Olympus digital cameras.

My wife saw my dwindling interest in photography and on my recommendation, bought me my K-r in late 2011. While I have 3 Pentax AF lenses, I plan on keeping my old 50 & 28mm lenses. I'd keep my 70-210 but I promised I would do some 'weeding' to pay for other camera gear I have my eye on. I sold my Super Program as a kit to acquire the AF lenses. I'm glad I chose Pentax over Canon, Nikon and Minolta back then.

08-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I am a convert from nikon. The reasons for my Pentax pass are SR, the Fa* 85 and the silent shutter of the k5. I know I don't have a nice old story of Pentax selection. The other reasons are being different from the rest as a Pentaxian and the limited lenses. It feels good to be Pentaxian. It almost feels extraordinary when you use the FA* 85 and the k-5 together So the last step of evolution in the k5 lured me into Pentax.
08-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #36
Pentaxian

quiet K-5 shutter, FA31 and FA77 are 3 reasons
08-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me it was a Natural progression from my Old MZ-50 with kit lens to MZ-S and LX-1. I hadn't made the switch to digital as yet when advertised all my lenses for sale. It was the encouragement of a very close Friend who finally pushed me over the line to switch to Digital and keep my old glass and stay with Pentax. I'm really glad I stayed.
08-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Those ohh so lovely limited primes
Glenn

08-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Why did I start? Old K-mount glass.
Why do I continue? New K-mount glass, superb APS-C bodies, being different.
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
Site Supporter

I have always like a brand that was a little bit different -- didn't really want a camera that said Nikon or Canon on it. The biggest things were the small size of the cameras, the ergonomics, and the cheapness of the glass (not nearly so cheap now though, unfortunately).

Those were shooting film. Now, I would say that it has to do with SR in body, still compact size, nice glass and weather sealing for a reasonable price. Oh, and I have figured out over time that the most important thing is right behind the viewfinder and not the brand that's written on the camera.
08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Hi,

1- I grew-up using my fathers ME-Super, so the brand name was known to me. I also bought an MZ-7 with a 28-105 that I still own.

2- Often, I find myself attracted toward underdogs because they usually tend to offer better value. I find Pentax has good value compared to the others, mainly due to the weather resistance of the equipment, but also:

3- In-body stabilization, facilitates backward compatibility. Even though I don't own old lenses(Except the 28-105), backward compatibility is a big plus. It gives me a perception that the brand cares and values its customers.

4- Weather Resistance. I like to fish and often in adverse weather condition. It makes Pentax a natural choice.

Marc

Last edited by mamethot; 08-08-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Other than weather sealing, SR and ergonomics, there is the cost that keeps me from switching to Canon's big lenses like the 500 or 600mm F/4. I think the K-5 has better image quality than the EOS-7D. It is hard to tell sometimes because people edit their photos. It can't beat the Mark IV but that camera is $6,000.00 and their new big lenses are now in the five figure range. My Sigma 500mm F/4.5 is half that cost.

I barely have to edit my photos when I did the best job in the field. I look forward to the new model that will replace the K-5.

I also like my little 100mm macro F/2.8 WR. I can hold that lens with my two fingers with the lens hood on from it longest length. I like that portability when I am shooting without my big lenses.
08-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #43

because it was way cheaper than nikon
08-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
because it was way cheaper than nikon
Actually, just as good as Nikon.
08-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Ok this may sound stupid but... Because I like to stand out.
That's OK I feel I based mine on stupider things )

1) I saw the K-x. It came in red (at that time, no other SLR did).
2) I was browsing photos of the K-x and saw some had really old lenses mounted on them. The idea was novel. Retro. Un-Canikon. So I thought, "nice!"
3) AA's - never thought how handy those things can be.
4) I was irritated by how some of my peers and acquaintances always declared "Nikon epic" and "Canon magic" when they took a photo with their Rebels and DXX's

As to the question "WHY" do I shoot Pentax up to now? well...

1) Budget for quality: given all the money in the world, I'll probably be lugging a Phase One....
2) Lenses: I now have 4, and they're all great!
3) Simply too lazy to start in another system again...