Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Fa limited are the reasons. Full stop,

08-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
That's OK I feel I based mine on stupider things )

4) I was irritated by how some of my peers and acquaintances always declared "Nikon epic" and "Canon magic" when they took a photo with their Rebels and DXX's
Irritating some of the Canonites is a good enough reason. I sometimes think the Canonites don't invite me to their flickr events is because I would indirectly throw cold water on their parties.
08-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AA batteries + excellent ergonomics.
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #49
Forum Member

Like a lot of Pentax users, I migrated from a Pentax film SLR, a K-1000 in my case. I went thru intermediary digital phases (Nikon P&S, Canon bridge), but when I was ready to make the jump to DLSR there were a number of things that brought me back to Pentax, the Kr specifically.

The first was low light capability; at my price point it was either a D5100 or Kr. There were no Canons in my price range with real good low light capability, Pentax & Nikon were far & away the best at this price point. Shake/Vibration Reduction (SR/VR) was the next consideration and Pentax's in-body SR won this hands down. That I could mount any compatible lens, with or w/o an adapter, and still have full SR, was a major selling point. I still have and use a Pentax M 50mm and a Vivitar 28-80 macro from my film days that mount and work perfectly, with full SR, on any Pentax DLSR body. Yes, you can use older film Nikkor lenses on a Nikon DLSR, but they won't have VR and IMO unless you always shoot from a tripod, that's a negative, IMO. But what really sealed the deal was visiting a Fry's and holding both. The Pentax just seemed to fit my hands better and the controls were more intuitive.

08-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I started out in high school with my dad's old Nikon F2 Photomic with a Vivitar 35/2.8, Nikkor 50/1.4 and Vivitar 70-150/3.8. Wanted AF so got a Canon EOS A2 with 28-105 zoom. Got to college and wanted more lenses but couldn't really afford AF glass so the only other lens I bought was a cheap Canon 22-55 for wider angles. Sold that AF stuff and switched to a Canon T90 which was basically a hi-end EOS camera with manual focus and cheap FD mount glass. Went a little nuts and got a Kiron 28/2, Canon 50/1.4, Tokina 35-70/2.8 & Vivtar 70-210/2.8-4 (Komine). After college it was a lot more time consuming to shoot slides & scan them like I had been doing so sold off the T90 outfit for basically the same as I bought it for...actually more I think. I also bought and sold a Canonet QL17 and bought and kept a Yashica Electro 35 GS.

When I finally decided to go digital, I wanted the cheapest/best option for low light. The built-in IS and good low light performance of the K-x sucked me in, and then I upgraded to the K-r because I never could get used to not having visible focus points in the K-x viewfinder. I'm sticking with Pentax because even the entry level K-r has things like AF fine adjustment which I use religiously when I get a new lens. Even though the implementation of this feature on the K-r kinda stinks (it doesn't remember your setting for each lens, so I keep a list of correction factors saved as a draft in my gmail and pull out my phone if I need to double check). So far there isn't any other system which combines the small size (for SLRs) of Pentax with in-body IS and good low-light/high ISO performance.

In short, you can do better in low light with other cameras, but with in-body IS you can get by with cheaper and smaller non-stabilized lenses. Something like a D700/D800 or 5DMkII/III with a 24-70 IS lens completely dwarfs my K-r with Tamron 17-50/2.8. Yeah, those FF cams are better but the price/size of my outfit is soooooooooo much less.
08-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #51
Site Supporter

I got my hands on a Pentax LX and SMC A 2/50 and whent travelling shortly after..well, I have not looked back (..at the shelf where my Nikon FE2 is almost permanently parked). Then came discovering the Takumars, K-mounts, DSLRs and the 67 system..and now Im so deep in, that I expect it will take years to get over (?). Regards
08-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I primary reason:
SR in body for all old lenses.
Very useful with longer focals.
I have use with Tamron 500mm and with TC2x (=1000mm)

Secondary reason:
I may have too many K mount lenses.

High iso performance and dynamic range are relatively equal with other brands.