Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why do you shoot Pentax?

A simple enough inquiry. Despite canikon sneers and curious looks from the occasional point and shooter, all of us here have decided to stick by our pentaxes. Why do YOU shoot pentax? There are many who eased into digital with an arsenal of old glass at the ready. Do you stick by pentax for the price? Is it the weather sealing? The ruggedness? Do you just like the feel? Do you LIKE being out and about and not seeing another like camera?

I'm a convert, myself. I was born into the world of photography through film, and learned on a canon. I stuck by it too, as I progressed. I eventually ended up with an A-1 that is in unreal condition, and I would in truth never give it up. It's still just a joy to use, but then, much of my heart lies with film, and I've yet to find a good Pentax equivalent to the A-1 (feel free to point any out!) I started considering digital as I became more sensitive to my B&W chemicals. As a break from the rashes and burns, I looked into canon. I was immediately turned off by the idea of all new lenses. That lead me to nikon, which is better but not perfect. I looked around some more, and it was actually a very simple feature that led me to consider pentax; multiple exposures. I constantly used multiple exposures with film to various effects, and the fact that up to nine exposures were so deftly included drew me in. I then learned about the ruggedness and waterproofing of pentax's DSLRs. That gave me a nice feeling. I don't want to shy away from a storm or inclement condition. In truth, it's the sort of awe-inspiring sights like that, which we take for granted so easily, that I want to capture. I was staggeringly outbid on a k-7 which had been seemingly in grasp on ebay, and a bit of research led me to a more affordable k10d, which features much of the same stuff, if a bit less powerful and diverse. In truth, I overpayed slightly, but for a great condition camera with a bare 1000 shutter count I regret nothing. I have since been excited every time it snows or rains or thunders. Photography's about the world in front of us, and the awe and beauty everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I don't think it's about beauty in only the convenient places, and neither does my camera.

I'm a photographer, and I shoot Pentax.

08-03-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm relatively a young 'un and had absolutely no history with Pentax until 2009 when I got my K200D. If I'd been a Pentax film shooter, it would have been no question. My sister-in-law directed me towards Pentax, so I did some research and confirmed it for myself that that's what I wanted.

I'm not one to like something because it's underground or not mainstream. The main reason I'm liking Pentax these days is the combination of in-body stabilization and backwards compatibility of old lenses. I like that I was able to acquire a 50 mm f/1.7 and 135 mm f/3.5 for about $110 total and they are instantly shake-reduced.

Honestly, I haven't ever handled much of Canon or Nikon, so I can't say it's because of ergonomics (as far as buttons go, I really wish there were dedicated buttons on the K200D for WB and/or ISO).

I'm a photographer, and I shoot Pentax.
08-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #3

While I had a couple of film Pentax's, when the time came for a dSLR I researched the options and went into a shop and felt the camera in my hand. At that stage it was a Canon 500D (I think), a Nikon D60 and a Pentax K200D. I did have a couple of Pentax mount lenses but they were cheap ones. I deliberately removed them from the equation. The Canon felt like plastic, the Nikon was so-so, but the K200 felt substantial. It also had SR and was weather resistant and had AA batteries. I surfed the net to discover what people felt and the problems they had. But mostly because the Pentax felt better made and had better features.

I now have a K5 and have no regrets in my decision. Since getting the Pentax, I am amazed that neither Nikon nor Canon have anything like the green button functionality. Indeed, when my daughter was doing a photography course (Photojournalism degree), she had to shoot in manual all the time. The lecturer looked at the Exif to ensure that they were complying. She could easily cheat by just pressing the green button and get the shot. Due to the rarity of the Pentax (she was the only Pentax shooter), no one was the wiser!
08-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #4

I started photography in High School about 15 years ago. My first SLR was a Mamiya ZE which I proceeded to accidently break during a protest in Quebec City in 2001. While looking for a replacement that could handle the kind of usage I required I read a Nat Geo article by a man who was discribing all the adventures he'd been through with nothing but his k1000. He described it as the AK-47 of cameras.

That completely sold me. I found one locally and grabbed it with a 50m 1.7 and shot it for years. When it came time for me to make the switch to digital, I stuck with Pentax based solely on how my k1000 never let me down. I grabbed an ist-D and was quite pleased with it.

Since then I've been through a k-x and am now on my k-30 and not one of them has let me down yet.

I have to admit though, that I tend to route for the underdog so that is a small part of why I stuck with Pentax, but all the quality of their bodies is the main reason. The large selection of easy to find, inexpesive lenses sure helps too.

I'm a photographer, and I'm proud to shoot Pentax

08-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When I wanted to upgrade from my Fuji Finepix s9500 bridgecamera to a real DSLR in 2008, I did research everywhere. Eventually, I bought a photography magazine in which there was an extensive comparisson between DSLR's of all brands. And there it was, the K20D. At that time, according to the magazine, it was the best, most highly featured camera in its prosumer class. It was the most expensive in it's class too, but it had lots of bang for the buck. And it won the megapixel war from it's prosumer APSC peers, at that time. Back then, that was still very important to me.

Then I started researching Pentax itself some more. I liked the inbody shake reduction and the backwards compatiblity, which only added to the bang-for-the-buck ratio. As did the fact that really fast lenses for Pentax cost peanuts when compared to the other brands.

Finally I went to the store, and held a range of different brands, the Pentax K20D felt like a little tank. It made the other brands feel so very plasticcy.

But to be honest, the fact that I would be using a very rare piece of equipment also attracted me a lot. For some reason, I detest doing the same as everyone else. When everybody shoots Canon and Nikon, I have to shoot something else. So I was already biassed, and searching for alternatives. (If Pentax ever becomes super-popular, I'm going to have to switch!)

So, everything combined, Pentax was perfect for me. Now it gave me LBA. I ended up buy a K5. For which I sold my K20D... Which I regret, because I should have converted it to IR.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-03-2012 at 04:53 AM.
08-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought into Pentax a year ago when I did my research and determined that the k-x was the best entry level camera at its price level. Little did I know, the k-x is still pretty much the best entry level camera, as far as I am concerned (at least, until the k-30 just got released).

What kept me at Pentax was the idea that I could get a WR camera for so cheap compared to the other brands - and it's WR with WR lenses that don't need an extra filter. Also the best APS-C sensor with the best iteration of it in the k-5.
08-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I got into digital photography not too long ago, before that I only used some film cameras (which weren't Pentax or Canikon). When deciding to buy my first DSLR I did research and found that the K-r at the time offered the most features for its cost. The in-body stabilization and compatibility with old lenses was important to me. It seemed the other brands only offered cameras with intentional crippling, to force buyers to upgrade as soon as possible. Also, when I saw the K-r and D3100 in-store, the Nikon seemed to be made of cheaper plastics.. At that time I wasn't aware of the massive camera-wars going on on the internets, though. Didn't know that your camera brand choice was more important than political or religious convictions!
08-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I played once or twice with my Dad SuperA and the A50/1.7 and 28/2.8 and i loved that ! but hadn't the money to keep playing with it

like Clavius, i got a Fuji S9500 which was very good, and handle quite well some bad treatments ... but i hanted the fact that the manual focus ring was "by wire" and not a simple mechanical thing.
i patiently outgrow it and in 2009 or 2010 i got my K-x.

Why ? I had some Pentax A lenses (that i still use), and the Canon and Nikon entry level were so cheaply build, no real burst, nor speed when using raw. (i mainly shoot rock climbing and bouldering in some dusty and fungy forest so those were the main point i was looking at).

I saw one in red, at 480€ (the usual price was around 600€ at the time), i jumped on it, and never regret it.

The red color allows me to give it to friend, and somehow keep an eye on it, and ... nobody tries to steal it !! BWAHAHAHA !!

08-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I mainly shot Minolta 20+ years ago. When I decided to step up from P&S to Digital SLRs I looked around and did a LOT of research. At that time the K-x was the Pentax camera in the spotlight. The reviews of the K-x were uniformly positive. The in camera SR made LOADS more sense to me than the lens-based VR in canikons. I had handled D60s and the fact that most reviewers commented on the Pentax build quality and some compared it to the pasticy feel of the canikons struck a cord too. The capper for me was that I got the K-x, 18-55, and 55-300 all BNIB for $634 shipped!

The K-x is a great little camera. Being able to use any lens that fit and have image stabilization was brilliant! The K-5 is another winner from Pentax. I shoot Pentax because their cameras offer so much more thoughtful feature for photographers at reasonable prices.
08-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #10

During my film days, (1980) I used all Konica cameras which I loved how they felt and looked. I went from Konica film to my first Pentax, I liked the feel and looks. I also enjoyed the quality which is excellent in my opinion. I have had four Pentax and still use all of my lens, another plus. I currently use K-20 and K-100, waiting to see what happens this fall and will trade or sell my K-100 and Keep my K-20 for backup. At this time I am really liking the K-30 but have not held one as of yet, and have not seen if the K-30 has the grip option, I need to have my grip. I also have not done much research on that option as of yet.

Another plus is this site. I plan on being a site supporter in the near future and at that time I will post my Avatar of me in my special camera hat and vest. I also want to take this opportunity to thank all of your whom participate in this forum, what a wonderful resource I have found.

I have a really good friend whom feels the same about his Nikon. There are many great cameras, just like cars and trucks all for the choosing!

Thank you all

Theo
08-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
During my film days, (1980) I used all Konica cameras which I loved how they felt and looked. I went from Konica film to my first Pentax, I liked the feel and looks. I also enjoyed the quality which is excellent in my opinion. I have had four Pentax and still use all of my lens, another plus. I currently use K-20 and K-100, waiting to see what happens this fall and will trade or sell my K-100 and Keep my K-20 for backup. At this time I am really liking the K-30 but have not held one as of yet, and have not seen if the K-30 has the grip option, I need to have my grip. I also have not done much research on that option as of yet.

Another plus is this site. I plan on being a site supporter in the near future and at that time I will post my Avatar of me in my special camera hat and vest. I also want to take this opportunity to thank all of your whom participate in this forum, what a wonderful resource I have found.

I have a really good friend whom feels the same about his Nikon. There are many great cameras, just like cars and trucks all for the choosing!

Thank you all

Theo
Theo,

FYI there is no grip option for the K-30 - sorry.
08-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
Forum Member

I started in photography with an ME Super in like 1981. got out of it after the military and didn't take real pictures again for years--always used a crappy APS point and shoot film camera. When I finally bought a digital point and shoot for a trip to Lisbon in 2008, I figured I woudl get better results if I got a DSLR. When it came time to buy, there was no real choice. The ability to use vintage lenses and the in body SR makes it a no brainer. Got the K100d from Woot refurbished. Started the dreaded LBA. A few years later I got a K20d refurbished from Woot as well.

I have always liked the Pentax design and ergonomics better than Nikon or Canon. When I go to B&H Photo and try out all the hot cameras the Pentax always fells better in my hand and seems laid out better than the Canikons. I think they have some real advantages--whether or not they make the sort of business decisions that allow them to capitalize on their advantages.

And the whole backwards lens compatibility thing is so cool and fun.

just waiting for the FULL FRAME!!!
08-03-2012, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

1) Backward compatibility with lenses
2) Cost
3) Ergonomics
4) It does the job.
08-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
like Clavius, i got a Fuji S9500 which was very good, and handle quite well some bad treatments
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The S9500 served me very well. But that EVF was bad though. Peering through the OVF of the K20D for the first time opened up a world to me.
08-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But that EVF was bad though. Peering through the OVF of the K20D for the first time opened up a world to me.
indeed, to go to an OVF was such an amazing thing for me too!!