Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
K-5: How low can it go?

Well, now Fry's has gotten into the low-low-low pricing for the K-5 with their current $799 deal (no coupon). Before that it was BuyDig with $809 and we've seen it bounce around this range for a little while.

The question is - can the K-5 go any lower in price?

As a corollary - what do the buyers at Fry's, BuyDig, etc. know about the K-5 replacement?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/194668-frys-k-5-799-a.html

08-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
I watched the k7 pricing, and it went to $100 of the price I was able to pick up my K20 at the end of its product run. So the K20 's low was $650 +/- and the K7 was about $750. About a year ago I was thinking that about $850 to $800 would be the low for the K5. However, last January Samy's camera in LA was selling K5 for $750. Someone posted here about the price, logged into the site and just bought it. So, I am going to guess $750 as the low for the K5.

That said, when you start thinking about the K30's introductory price, its specs are pretty close to the K5 and its price has been trimmed, the $750 low for the K5 might actually be a tad high. It all has to do with the number of cameras Pentax has in inventory and how fast they want to move them. That is in part is why I think that the K5 is going to probably be the best deal around between now and Photokia in mid September. Pentax has to introduce something, the K5's feature set meets just about everyone's needs, and its price is soft due to the end of its product cycle.

So, I just went to google to take a look at how the prices were trending and I came across...So, if some place has a stock of 99 units and is selling them for $500 with the kit lens - who knows what the low price will be.... [disclamer - I know nothing about this retailer].

08-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
[disclamer - I know nothing about this retailer]
Hey, look, they have 99 of the K5 Silver Limited's in stock; Ordering...Right...Now...
08-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
psychdoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bham
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 943
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
So, I just went to google to take a look at how the prices were trending and I came across... Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD [4353] - $500.00 : Camerabusy, The Art of E-commerce So, if some place has a stock of 99 units and is selling them for $500 with the kit lens - who knows what the low price will be.... [disclamer - I know nothing about this retailer].
is camerabusy.com a fake site ? | trust rating for camerabusy.com | is camerabusy.com safe to use | is camerabusy.com legit | is camerabusy safe

08-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,649
they are bought from Gold Supplier which are sellers from Alibaba and i can tell you from experience i purchased from a gold supplier years ago and it was a knockoff...buyer beware
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
By November if there are any left I can see 699 or even lower once K3 hits and K30 takes it's first drop, and wuite likely a K300 in a kr level body with the same sensor hits at 599 or so
08-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I watched the k7 pricing, and it went to $100 of the price I was able to pick up my K20 at the end of its product run. So the K20 's low was $650 +/- and the K7 was about $750. About a year ago I was thinking that about $850 to $800 would be the low for the K5. However, last January Samy's camera in LA was selling K5 for $750. Someone posted here about the price, logged into the site and just bought it. So, I am going to guess $750 as the low for the K5.

That said, when you start thinking about the K30's introductory price, its specs are pretty close to the K5 and its price has been trimmed, the $750 low for the K5 might actually be a tad high. It all has to do with the number of cameras Pentax has in inventory and how fast they want to move them. That is in part is why I think that the K5 is going to probably be the best deal around between now and Photokia in mid September. Pentax has to introduce something, the K5's feature set meets just about everyone's needs, and its price is soft due to the end of its product cycle.

So, I just went to google to take a look at how the prices were trending and I came across...So, if some place has a stock of 99 units and is selling them for $500 with the kit lens - who knows what the low price will be.... [disclamer - I know nothing about this retailer].


CameraBusy.com is not a site that ought to be trusted IMHO. Too many detours, errors, and other issues for my comfort level. For example, it's registered as a US site some places, others its listed as Canadian, but the WhoIs data has Beijing listed as do some of the links to source materials.......oh, and the site is 46 whole days old.......hmmmm........

Domain name: camerabusy.com
Domain Title: Camerabusy, The Art of E-commerce
Description: Camerabusy : - Television Speakers Lenses Digital SLRs Phones Camcorders Theater Laptops
Domain Age: 0 Years, 46 Days
Website Speed: Average
City: beijing
08-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Hey, look, they have 99 of the K5 Silver Limited's in stock; Ordering...Right...Now...
Point taken - I should have probably looked first. The softness in the price here lately has been pretty surprising....



08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
CameraBusy.com is not a site that ought to be trusted IMHO. Too many detours, errors, and other issues for my comfort level. For example, it's registered as a US site some places, others its listed as Canadian, but the WhoIs data has Beijing listed as do some of the links to source materials.......oh, and the site is 46 whole days old.......hmmmm........

Domain name: camerabusy.com
Domain Title: Camerabusy, The Art of E-commerce
Description: Camerabusy : - Television Speakers Lenses Digital SLRs Phones Camcorders Theater Laptops
Domain Age: 0 Years, 46 Days
Website Speed: Average
City: beijing
they've popped up under other names, wouldn't trust them a bit.
08-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
I'm darn pleased, having jumped at $799 authorized.

With the pricing policy Pentax implemented, I doubt I could get a smoking deal like with the K10 at the very end of 2007. $640 shipped from Amazon, plus the $100 rebate would be hard to match, I think.

As a corollary, I was waiting on the supposed price drop of the 5D2 when the Mk3 was finally on sale. It's dropped from $2499, to $2299, to $2049 (if I remember right)...so how low could the K-5 go, unless the K-3 blows it away? It won't be FF, so let's not go there
08-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,039
We all assume that a new Pentax will be introduced at photokina, delivered probably next year. Prices may drop even further as soon as people start selling K5's. At some point the price will stabilize again. It happens all the time a new camera is about to being introduced... shops may clear their stocks at even lower prices.
08-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member
sam-joseph's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,086
I'm keen for at least two k5's from that camerabusy mob. When I changed the currency at the top of the page to Australian Dollars, the price changed to $81.11 AUD!!!
That's just too cheap to pass up. Woman, pass the credit card.....

Regards
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buydig, camera, dslr, k-5, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Nikon D3s kit, low mileage, low price Aboudd Sold Items 2 06-03-2012 02:09 PM
People Punk Gig - low low light schmik Post Your Photos! 8 12-09-2011 06:10 AM
Low light shooting capabilities GX20 at low ISO cabstar Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 12-04-2008 11:01 AM
Da Lens Prices ! Low Low Low 247nino Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 04-14-2008 11:55 AM
Low Light - Low Experience - Fix $$$ ? daacon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 04-26-2007 07:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top