Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I lucky? Possibly

I'm suprised sometimes at how many threads/people are discussing issues of all kind regarding their Pentax gear such as focus fine adjustment, exposure problems, SDM failure and so on...
I just wanted to say that I've NEVER had any problems with the reliability and the accuracy of my Pentax equipment, and I've own several Pentax cameras, old and new lenses including third party. Sharpness has always been great for me, using the proper settings and taking the time to understand the strenght and weakness of my lenses
Am I lucky too? Possibly.

08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I'm suprised sometimes at how many threads/people are discussing issues of all kind regarding their Pentax gear such as focus fine adjustment, exposure problems, SDM failure and so on...
I just wanted to say that I've NEVER had any problems with the reliability and the accuracy of my Pentax equipment, and I've own several Pentax cameras, old and new lenses including third party. Sharpness has always been great for me, using the proper settings and taking the time to understand the strenght and weakness of my lenses
Am I lucky too? Possibly.
It should be mentioned that nobody will post a thread bragging about how they aren't having any issues with their ear and everything is working fine and dandy.

Erm. OP excluded of course. :-D

Its just that as with anything those with problems will be far more vocal then the majority who aren't.
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, just bear in mind, 95% of the time, no one has issues. It's just the 5% of people that do, tend to complain about it, A LOT(Like they should)
08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Well, I've owned my K-r for 7 months. I found the infamous front focus and e-dial issues in the first couple months. Front focus was handled via a menu tweak and the e-dial was fixed with a couple small squirts of quality electronics contact cleaner. Folks here pointed me toward the answers, fixed them, no complaints about my Pentax camera gear.

08-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

In the first couple of months I owned the K-5 I had some lockups after charging the battery. Not anymore. I haven't had to calibrate any lenses, either. I usually don't shoot wide open, though. So far, the equipment has been darn good.
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've never had an issue with my k-x that I could not solve myself or find a work-around. I consider myself pretty fortunate.
08-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I have no complaints with the quality.
08-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Knocking on my head as I write this, other than crappy batteries I bought I have never had a problem with Pentax equipment.

08-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My ist failed after a while but I wasn't expecting it to last forever at $50. When I got the ist it had issues with the on board flash and I was aware of that. But I figured if I got a year out of it I'd be lucky. My K-x has been really good to me and I love it. Ditto most of my Pentax SLR's. I'd love to add a K-30 as a second DSLR body but with the vet bill and the dentist (Hello life....) I'm not getting one this year, maybe not next either, unless works picks up a lot more and the flaky people around here stop cancelling last minute.

The irony is I could make my rent and what I'd need to buy one in maybe 4-5 sittings if people would just show up for their darned appts. But it's been like that all summer. People book then flake and the most I ever get out of it is their $50 deposit. Money is just tight all around, people are backing off from spending again, and it's also about as hot as most people can stand it. Unfortunately that won't change around here until at least November but I do hope to do better this Winter after the election is over and the major heat is gone.
08-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My K-r has been great for the past couple years. I do use AF fine adjustment but I think that comes down to differences between lenses. Some need no adjustment, some I do a +/- 1. My Tamron 17-50 gets a -5.
08-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I've also had no real issues with my K-r. The e-dial was a bit skippy early on, but some contact cleaner solved that, not had a problem since. Everything else is plenty fine.
08-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The AF on my K-x works fine on all my pentax lenses... My Tamron 17-50 was a little hit and miss when I first got it but after a little practice appears sharp as a tack (although it get VERY little use)...