Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does the K20D achieve 22 FPS?

Just to see if anyone knows the answer, how does pentax achieve 22 FPS (even though it is at 1.6 MP)

Are they using the mechanical shutter (I personally don't think so) or do they have an electronic shutter.

Is this the way of the future?

01-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm pretty sure it lifts the mirror up and the 22FPS/1.6MP is just the Live View readout/buffer getting stored to the SD card. As for the shutter speed/autofocus, don't know how that fits into it.
So I guess I really don't know....
01-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

^^ what he said

it has to be a point and shoot style approach to image capture
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just to see if anyone knows the answer, how does pentax achieve 22 FPS (even though it is at 1.6 MP)

Are they using the mechanical shutter (I personally don't think so) or do they have an electronic shutter.
Like those who've already responded, I think it has to be done electronically. I'm not sure what the difference is between this and video capture.

What I wonder is, for how long can the camera keep this up?

QuoteQuote:
Is this the way of the future?
I hope not, and I doubt it. We are already at the point where there are video cameras that take high-res video from which it's possible to extract a quite decent still photo. But it's not going to eliminate still cameras, at least I don't think it will any time soon.

Will

01-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I hope not, and I doubt it. We are already at the point where there are video cameras that take high-res video from which it's possible to extract a quite decent still photo. But it's not going to eliminate still cameras, at least I don't think it will any time soon.

Will
I don't think he was asking that, Will. I think he was asking whether electronic shutters were going to be the way of the future. And my reply would be "I hope so!" Having no mechanical shutter would eliminate the weakest component in a camera, and there would be other advantages too. This wouldn't convert the still camera into a movie camera; nobody wants that!
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I don't think he was asking that, Will. I think he was asking whether electronic shutters were going to be the way of the future. And my reply would be "I hope so!" Having no mechanical shutter would eliminate the weakest component in a camera, and there would be other advantages too. This wouldn't convert the still camera into a movie camera; nobody wants that!
Miserere,

Ah, I see. Sorry, Lowell, for the misunderstanding.

So now I'm wondering, what is the advantage of having the mirror in the camera? I don't know how "live view" works in the newer dslrs. I always thought it was the mirror that made the slr possible, and that the mirror in a dslr, which isn't strictly necessary (compact cameras don't have it) is necessary to allow us to have optical finders. If we could have optical finders and get rid of the shutter/mirror noise when shooting, well, THAT would be a plus. To be honest, I'd be willing to tolerate a small amount of parallax for that benefit. After all, our finders right now aren't 100%.

Will
01-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Miserere,

So now I'm wondering, what is the advantage of having the mirror in the camera? I don't know how "live view" works in the newer dslrs. I always thought it was the mirror that made the slr possible, and that the mirror in a dslr, which isn't strictly necessary (compact cameras don't have it) is necessary to allow us to have optical finders. If we could have optical finders and get rid of the shutter/mirror noise when shooting, well, THAT would be a plus. To be honest, I'd be willing to tolerate a small amount of parallax for that benefit. After all, our finders right now aren't 100%.

Will
You can always get an Epson digital rangefinder or Leica . Both have no mirror.
Advantage of a mirror is "live view" and much cheaper to produce then a linkage to the vf and much prettier than a bunch of "frame lines" all over your viewfinder for a select set of lenses which would get really confusing for a zoom.
As to shutters, both Canon and Nikon (I believe) have hybrid mechanical/electrical shutters. Drawback is the flush sensor/fill/capture cycle (shutter lag) when in "electrical mode'. Mechanical shutters are currently faster because the sensor is "ready" for filling as opposed to the above cycle.
Electrical shutters are the reason for the high flash synch speeds currently on THEIR cameras.
Anyone see any errors to this feel free......
Gaaakkk.. here I go again (second time this week I believe)
See survey of sync speeds......
Flash Sync Speed
01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Miserere,

Will
Will

if we follow along this line of thinking, i.e. electronic shutter being the wave of the future, then you start to see the SLR merging towards the present EV cameras. The problem is that on an EV camera, the immage just does not cut it in low light, and while they might get better and better at this, I can't see it being competitive enough to do things like focus accurately in manual mode.

Therefore, What I an really wondering about is how they incorporate what is necessary for an SLR in terms of focusing and viewing, with the electronics of 20 FPS. At present I can imagine for example that the mirror will never move that quickly, therefore I think the mirror goes up and stays there, combined with an electronic shutter.

In the future but what about a path splitter, or even something like an LCD wihch is transparent in one mode and reflective in another, such that the mirror does not move, but turns on and off.

Even an electronic shutter with classical mirror offers some interesting advantages, if they can make it fast enough, because it would give flash sync over the entire range.