Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
I thought about the D80 actually. I've even used it (seems like all my friends shoot Nikon), but there's only a $200-300 price gap between it and the Canon 40D, and I prefer the 40D. Plus there is no price gap at all between it and the K10D, and again, I would rather have the K10D over the D80. I am highly interested to see if Nikon announces a D90 at PMA though. Hopefully it will be a better upgrade than the rumored D60 is to the D40x.

01-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 561
Art,

Please convey my best regards to George Costanza.
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
Welp, I am officially back with Pentax now. Well, kind of. I spent a whopping $30 here locally on a old Pentax K1000 film camera kit. It included the kit SMC-M 50mm f/2 lens with it as well as a Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f/2.5. I figured it was worth $30 just to collect if nothing else. The 135mm lens is almost in mint condition. It looks like its hardly ever been used. Unfortunately it turns out there are some really mixed reviews on it.

In addition to that stuff I broke down and ordered a SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 off of ebay for $95. For once I actually had a pleasant shopping experience there. No one jumped in at the last second and outbid me, which has almost always been my experience there in the past. I guess that means I paid too much...lol

Oh well, now I just have to wait for a K20/K200D price to drop. Either that for a decent deal on a used K10D. I might be shooting film for a while...


PS: Solar, I'll pass that on to Costanza
02-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Welp, I am officially back with Pentax now. Well, kind of. I spent a whopping $30 here locally on a old Pentax K1000 film camera kit. It included the kit SMC-M 50mm f/2 lens with it as well as a Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f/2.5. I figured it was worth $30 just to collect if nothing else. The 135mm lens is almost in mint condition. It looks like its hardly ever been used. Unfortunately it turns out there are some really mixed reviews on it.
If that's the newer Takumar, the only real downside is the lack of SMC coating. It's probably optically no different than the A 135 (4 elements,4 groups). Unfortunately this is based on the compairison between the 2.8 versions. I'm guessing the 2.5 was not much different in optical configuration.Your results will probably depend more on the QC than anything.... Anyways enjoy it.
Pentax Prime Lenses without SMC Coating
"new" Takumar 135 2.5: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
In addition to that stuff I broke down and ordered a SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 off of ebay for $95. For once I actually had a pleasant shopping experience there. No one jumped in at the last second and outbid me, which has almost always been my experience there in the past. I guess that means I paid too much...lol
You bought it at a somewhat historically high price times... BUT it's still well worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Oh well, now I just have to wait for a K20/K200D price to drop. Either that for a decent deal on a used K10D. I might be shooting film for a while...
Baby steps......

02-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #50
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
You bought it at a somewhat historically high price times... BUT it's still well worth it.
I was afraid of that, but it was at least $30 less then KEH was asking, and there was no way I was getting involved with the frantic biding on the 50mm 1.4's. They still had 2 days to go and were already up to $100. I saw that I could get the M version for much less then the A, but I figured they A would be nicer once I finally plunk down the change for a digital body.
02-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #51
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I was afraid of that, but it was at least $30 less then KEH was asking, and there was no way I was getting involved with the frantic biding on the 50mm 1.4's. They still had 2 days to go and were already up to $100. I saw that I could get the M version for much less then the A, but I figured they A would be nicer once I finally plunk down the change for a digital body.
and the'd go much higher (the 1.4's)... especially if I was bidding. Of course if I didn't someone would get one for like $30
I was a bit surprised at the current KEH prices. Guess I haven't been lens shopping lately.
Think I paid $50 for my f1.7 (A version).
02-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #52
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
Yeah, I would have liked to of had the 1.4, but no way was I going up to the $200 range to get one. At that point your getting into the range of new FA 50's and within a whisper of the new DA*55 coming out soon (assuming it will be $300-400).

Not that I really care, I almost always manually focus when using primes anyway, so an FA would just be a waste for me, plus I'll be stepping down to f/2 or lower most of the time anyway, so no need to waste $100 more for the 1.4.
02-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #53
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4
Old Pentax lenses are getting pricey. My SMC-A 50 - f1.7 was about the same price. It's no wonder - it's a great lens, it's very small and light, sharp as all hell. Perfect for portraits.

02-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #54
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
Well, my return is complete. I broke down and ordered a K100D today. $370 was just too good of a price for even me not to justify it. Beach Camera/BuyDig both had it at that price and I noticed today that Beach no longer had it, so in a panic I placed an order from BuyDig before it was gone from there too.

It’s a shame, I’ve really enjoyed using the old K1000 I bought, but I simply can’t justify the film/development/scanning costs. It's amazing how much more deliberate you become from using an old camera like that. You don't even have to shoot a lot, just one roll of film will do. It really makes you pay attention to what you're doing. I think I will still shoot a roll of film every once in a while just to stay sharp.

At any rate, this K100D will be more than good enough for me until the K20D drops to a justifiable price in a year or two. And even then my K100D with the 21mm pancake lens will make a better street camera due to size (I’ve given up hope on an affordable digital range finder).

I guess I need to get one of those snazzy K100D proud owner signatures now that I see all over here.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-200mm, camera, canon, dslr, ef, f/1.4, frame, lenses, pentax, photography, prices, usm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning to Photography and Pentax after 30years. Touchwood Welcomes and Introductions 3 10-08-2010 04:38 AM
thinking about buying the pentax k-x LosHollyBeach Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 01-28-2010 07:54 PM
Returning to Pentax Seaslater Welcomes and Introductions 1 06-22-2009 02:56 AM
Returning my Pentax *16-50 f2.8 benjikan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 39 03-16-2008 06:35 AM
returning my Sigma flash -- gonna go official Pentax mattdm Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 14 02-24-2008 06:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top