Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you hear the sound for your K10D/K100D?
Yes, I've a K100D. 1134.38%
No, I've a K100D. 515.63%
Yes, I've a K10D. 1546.88%
No, I've a K10D. 39.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Weird Sound of K100D (K10D 2?) in B/Sensor Cleaning Mode

When my K100D is put into Sensor Cleaning Mode or in B mode, it will generate some kind of heardable (not in a very noisy place) weird noise which sounds irregularly and like "wee, we, wee.. wee....". The sound will disappear until the shutter closed.

I further checked to see if the sound generated is dependent of the On or Off of the SR system but found that there was no difference here. But the interesting thing is if I shaked my camera more, the sound will be louder and the frequency is higher.

I just wish to see if your K100D or K10D behaves the same or not, please reply by making an entry to the poll. Thanks.

12-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I noticed a noise from the k10 whenever the SR is working.
12-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quaffle Quote
I noticed a noise from the k10 whenever the SR is working.
Do you notice the noise when the SR is turned off?

Also, I came across somwhere (in the Pentax user manual?) that SR will be disabled in B mode. Anyone can confirm about ths?
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes the sound exists whether SR is ON or OFF... Though I can only just hear it on the K10d in a very quiet environment...

01-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noisy, darn cameras.

Got a stethoscope? Try listening to any digital camera with one; they all make little hums, whistles, buzzes, whirs, clicks. So do most electrical/electronic devices.

Personally, I think those crafty Pentax engineers have found a way to miniaturize some of their hardier citizens and stuff them in the K-series boxes.

They run around in squeaky soled shoes, wheezing from exertion, sighing when switches are turned and whistling when something nice is captured. That sensor sound is from the little squeegee and the Windex; it chirps when they need to buff with a towel.

If you get up real early in the morning and listen before you move the camera about, there is a running water sound, something like sizzling bacon and another like teeth being brushed. Now and then a big pfhtptptp erupts too-your guess is as good as any about what causes that.

Who the heck listens to a camera????????
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Who the heck listens to a camera????????
LOL, yes thats what it comes down to... it seems based on the responses it is a normal thing.. so no need to worry...
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Forum Member

i think of anything i buy like my car... its good to be familiour with all the visual parts and sounds that it has... so that when the time comes that something doesn't look or sound right... you may just catch something before it gets worse..

so i think its good to know the sounds your camera makes..

01-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all inputs for the poll so far. Now, I can make sure it is normal for that sound will be generated as long as the shutter is opened.

I did actually guess that it is normal AND that the cause is the SR system is applying electricity (and magnetic) to hold the CCD (as stable as possible). I have no solid info nor evidence on this, but just try to make a sensible guess.

However, the potential problem hidden behind this noise is that the CCD is actually not absolutely stable and my practical experience for long time exposure verify my this guess. Do note that no circuitry in this planet is noiseless, but only mechanical ones are totally sturdy.
01-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Forum Member

Huh? Don't understand the question.
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Ed in GA

I hear the Shutter and the auto-focus.

Are there other sounds I should be hearing?

01-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #11

I hear the shutter and the autofocus. I only hear the shake reduction when I tell it to "shake it's booty", so to speak. If you have it enabled for startup, you'll hear it a lot.
01-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I laughed out loud at jfdavis58's post. I've had multiple digital cameras and users forever have been asking about this or that sound. I never even notice the sounds unless they are pointed out to me. Some people hear the most minute sounds. Maybe that industrial hearing loss I have is a good thing in some cases?
I also didn't "get" the question of this pole. Sure I hear the k10d, I also feel it.
01-05-2007, 06:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, don't you see the topic of the OP, it's about a *Weird* sound, not normal sound which you'll hear for a typical DSLR.

Still, now in the latest poll, quite some people say that they do not hear the sound. So, whether this is normal or not is yet to be confirmed.
01-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

yep.. just did the test with mine in B mode.. it makes a "weird" in the sense its not easy to liken to anything continuous sound when the shutter is held pressed..

with the camera right to my ear.. a whooshing.. whirring. chirping.. sound..

could be some minute jananese "bugs" still in there that might be causing the banding and bad focus issues i read about..

could just be the plumbing the little guys use after going to the loo.. bulb mode probably flushes out the tanks..

trog