Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Advice Needed Ordering a K10D I'm going Digital!

Greetings all, I hope this falls on the ears of some of the sage moderator Pentaxians.
I am finally convinced that film is not going to rally and displace Digital SLR's from the scene. So I am ordering a K10D today to take advantage of the available rebates. I have used Pentax film SLR's since I could hold a camera, primarily with Tamron Adaptall II Glass. I Have all the P/KA adapters to keep my sanity and use my old glass I have listed. I will pay around $ 650.00 for the body, now keeping in mind the 35-135, and 70-250 and 24mm Tamron Adaptall II's I have along with the 50mm 1.7 Pentax-M, what lens in the Pentax or Tamron pantheon of offerings do I purchase. I have a pain level of under $500.00.
I have been processing from film to digital for years and using Picture window, so I am not a digital newbie. I shoot a lot of landscape, some weddings and a good amount of portrait. The Tamron's have served me very well.
Any input is appreciated
Thanks!

Last edited by 71Matador250; 01-28-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Fat fingered
01-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are two things to keep in mind. The first being the choice of lenses you currently use (35-135, and 70-250 and 24mm). Before making a suggestion here, we need to understand whether you intend to replace these lenses or supplement them with other focal lengths. For example, the excellent Tamron AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro lens ($480, also available in a Pentax version for roughly the same price) could replace all of them, while being fully optimized to digital image sensors at the same time.

And that leads us to the second issue of the the crop factor (1.5x) associated with digital image sensors. In case you're not familiar with this, the crop factor is applied to digital cameras to relate the field-of-view normally associated with 35mm film cameras. In other words, a 50mm lens attached to a digital camera offers a field-of-view very similar to a 75mm lens (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm) on a film camera. This means your 35-135 lens attached to a digital camera would perform very much like a 52-200mm lens on a film camera. This is a concern with wide angle lenses since they lose much of their wide angle coverage when attached to a digital camera. For example, a 28mm lens becomes a 42mm lens on a digital camera. By the way, the Tamron 18-250mm zoom mentioned above becomes the equivalent of a 27-375mm lens.

So, once again, taking into account the 1.5x crop factor, you need to decide if you intend to replace your existing lenses or supplement them with other focal lengths. Once you answer that question, we would be better able to make suggestions. By the way, welcome to the forum.

stewart
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I think that what you are missing is something on the wide end. When you get the K10D, all you lenses will have a 1.5 magnification factor due to the sensor size. If you want cheap and light weight lens, the DA18-55 kit lens is a good performer for the money you pay to add it to the body (<$100). You could also consider the Pentax 16-45. I believe this is in your price range and several people swear by them.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-28-2008 at 01:09 PM.
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would seek to primarily supplement. I appreciate the primer on crop factor, I was familiar but your explanation was helpful. I have been considering the Tamron 28-75, and I noticed the mention of the 16-45 Pentax. I have been looking through the board on usage of older lenses. All of mine are KA compatable. Though I would have to manual focus, it is not a problem. I really appreciate the assistance. Basically, I have the funds set aside, now how are they best spent to fit into an compliment my photography? I have been looking at lenses for weeks now and am looking for some input from others that have been there.

01-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I went with the Pentax 16-45. I believe I do need something on the wider end. I'll let you know how it works, it should be here Friday or Monday.
01-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome from someone else in OK!

I was going to suggest the Pentax 18-250 as well, but you beat me to the punch. You sure have a nice range of glass. The K10d is my first DSLR as well, after many years of film SLR, and I couldn't be happier with it. I'll bet you are counting the days now until delivery.
01-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, PentaxPoke, I had wrestled with getting the 18-250. I decided with what I had, the 16-45 could be a valuable addition. Most who review it speak of sharp images and good contrast, but reviews are mere opinion and almost everone has one. It looked sturdy and had an attractive price is what it came down to ! And you are right my patience will be tested waiting on it. I have to make a trip to Little Rock for a couple of days maybe that will get my mind off it!

Last edited by 71Matador250; 01-29-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Arthritic Morning Fingers