Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Something like this?

YouTube - Missile caught by high speed camera

That camera is going fair bit faster than 20 FPS...
That is COOL!!!

01-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm not too sure on it being a selling feature because it's not anywhere in the same league as MP, durability, battery life, how far the built in flash fires, kit lens, oh and of course screen size.

Very few of my customers ask about FPS and the ones that do work for the local newspaper or they are birders. When I tell them the K10D or Rebel XTi does 3FPS they are surprised as all heck and tell me they'd never use it.

I personall want better FPS because I want to do Eagle/Hawk/Hummingbird and Tennis photography, but I'd use it selectively. Most pro's that I know that shoot birds hardly use the higher FPS, but rather set the camera at the slow mode, 3FPS, because they burst when the bird stops, wait, burst, wait, burst.

When I shoot with guys that own MKII's they typically switch between track focus and the area select and between slow burst and full burst. Not once have I seen these guys bring me a stack of perfectly made shots, but having the bursts has the advantage of being able to pick the sharpest image of the bunch as well as different wing angles and such. We have a couple of huge birders that frequent the store on a daily basis and they are amazing shooters, but each technique seems to vary, but the constant has always been that the best guys never use the full burst mode more than 1% of the time.
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
...(snip) Better, I think, to refine one's technique, IMHO.
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
...(snip)... Timing it is all about timing. ...(snip)...

Actually, I suspect the ideal would be to have technique AND adequately quick tools available to do the job. Notice I did not define 3-fps as inadequate since that would very much depend on the situation.

Regardless, in my opinion, the skill and timing arguments are rather silly in this context since there is absolutely nothing inherent in a higher frame rate camera which prevents that photographer from developing the exact same skills and timing as a photographer (yourself, for example) with a slower frame rate camera.

stewart
01-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #19

Hi Duck,

Thats not a missile, its a fin stabilized projectile fired from the main gun of a tank.

Hi Kguru,

Yep, I've seen 155's go, and 8" also. If you get right behind the gun and slightly above you can see the rounds from an M2 HB also, if the shooter is firing at something far enough away so you can see the rounds above the horizon. Also see .30 rounds the same way. Lots of fun, long ago.

Cheers,

Phil

01-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #20

Hi Stewart,

I've taken thousands of photos at car races (long time ago) with a Canon Pellix with no motor drive and with excellent results. There is some technique involved but its easily done. Had a great time at the Spa (Francorchamps?) Belgium GP's and the Nurburgring GP's back in the sixties. Also the Indianapolis National Drag Races. A few years ago I had to throw about the whole lot out (mostly Ektachromes) due to fungus or something on them. Couldn't get it off, it ruined about all of them. Hated that.

Cheers,

Phil
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Have you seen the photo of a projectile just after it left the barrel of the 155mm howitzer? Now try to time that!! I reckon with 20fps I'd have a good chance of capturing it in one of the frames and 1500x1000 resolution still shows up pretty good on my monitor.
Pardon my asking, but have you ever actually tried to photograph a projectile being fired from a howitzer, or do you have plans to do so in the near future? If not, I should think that you have no real need for 20fps, even if it is fun to dream about.

Rob
01-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Though it seems like something good, I don't use continuous mode, except in the rarest cases. The small buffer causes more problems than low FPS.

When I see someone blasting away - pht, pht, pht, pht - I wonder why they paid so much for a "Point and Shoot" :-)

01-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

3 fps is no issue for the majority of users. I guess most of the pro-shooters who are into that kind of high-speed continuous shooting won't buy Pentax anyway.

The small buffer and slow buffer clearing time of the K100D IS a problem. Even a casual user like me have filled up the buffer before, and it felt like AGES before the camera was ready to go again.

I had to tell the kids - wait a while, the camera isn't ready yet. Their response - "Get a new camera." But my camera IS new- hmmm....

I really enjoy using the K100D, but this particular limitation is annoying...
01-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not yet had a need for continuous shooting, so I guess that 3fps is more than enough. I suspect that all the gnashing of teeth over this feature is confined to a relatively small percentage of users. Some of them probably have a legitimate need for a higher fps rate, but I'd be willing to bet that others only imagine that they do. Seriously, does anyone really need 6fps to photograph a child running around on a soccer field?

Rob
01-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Before the advent of xxFPS, do you think many people said to themselves, "you know, I really wish I could take a picture of a projectile coming out of that tank, you know, for kicks"?

Yeah, I don't think so.

When you get your 20FPS at 14MP, no doubt you'll wish for 50. You'll never be happy, so please. Chill. Working within the constraints of the medium is half the challenge and half the fun.
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Pardon my asking, but have you ever actually tried to photograph a projectile being fired from a howitzer, or do you have plans to do so in the near future? If not, I should think that you have no real need for 20fps, even if it is fun to dream about.
Rob
I used the projectile example in response to the opinions that timing skill is a better answer than high fps. I don't necessarily have an opportunity to photograph a projectile, but there are similar situations in which timing is a matter of luck rather than skills, hence higher fps = better odds.

Last edited by Kguru; 01-28-2008 at 10:18 PM.
01-29-2008, 04:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
Hi Stewart,

I've taken thousands of photos at car races (long time ago) with a Canon Pellix with no motor drive and with excellent results. (snip)...

Well, greetings to you, Phil. I've also shot my share of fairly quick subjects over the years, also with a manual film advance or slow motor drive camera. However, that was years ago, things have changed, and I certainly don't want to go back to all of that. As such, I expect a bit more convenience when laying my money down on a more modern camera today. And a reasonably quick fps shooting rate (as defined earlier) is just one of the conveniences I expect. The K10D and K20D cameras provide that, but just barely.

stewart
01-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Not trying to prove any point just want to show you a (fairly old-tech looking) US Navy photo.
By the way it was noted photo taken by D Menta, so it wasn't a frame out of a movie camera.

Last edited by Kguru; 01-29-2008 at 04:34 AM.
01-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I have not yet had a need for continuous shooting ...(snip).... a relatively small percentage of users. Some of them probably have a legitimate need for a higher fps rate, but I'd be willing to bet that others only imagine that they do. Seriously, does anyone really need 6fps to photograph a child running around on a soccer field?

You seem to be focusing your arguments on the basis of "need" alone, Rob. Why would you not consider "want" a legitimate reason for seeking a higher continuous frame rate? There are lots of things in life I don't absolutely need, but certainly some of them are things I might want.

stewart
01-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
Hi Duck,

Thats not a missile, its a fin stabilized projectile fired from the main gun of a tank.
Yeah, I know. They mislabeled the video.