Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Ed in GA

FPS, how important is it to the average user?

Here's an interesting poll.

The Online Photographer

I think the results might be surprising.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 01-28-2008 at 12:51 PM.
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me, not a lot. I shoot usually well timed single shots, very rarely multi frame.

for me 20 FPS is not of much interest, however if at full resolution, I can see it being of interest for sports photographers, who stillrely to some extent on luck to get just the right moment even at 6-9 FPS. I pity, however, the photo editors who will have their work load trippled by the first full resolution 20+ FPS sprtts camera.
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

The results resonate pretty well with my own experience, 3 fps is enough for my shooting but the camera being ready when I want to shoot is very important. The 3 raw buffer and the loooong write time on the K100D have caught me several times.

However I do understand some peoples need for more fps, we don't all shoot the same and I think there have been some quite rude remarks (not necessarily on this board) from photographers who don't seem to understand that for some, a few more fps is the difference between getting the shot or not.
01-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don't even put the camera in continuous drive mode. Single click, single release.

01-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #5

3 FPS is enough for me.. 3 frames buffer is a disaster
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

FPS doesn't matter in the slightest to me - I shoot 95% Landscapes, fortunately mountains don't move too quickly !!

simon
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #7

I dont find the results surprising at all... Noone of quite alot photographers I know uses continious shooting often. Just occasionally, and noone ever said he needs more and more FPS.
3FPS is perfectly enough, at least for me.

01-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

3FPS while adequate has been a bit lacking in several Rally type races I have attended. This is partially a factor of my inexperience, but also a factor that one does not always have ample time to shoot a quickly moving subject that is moving parallel to your position. 5FPS would provide more wiggle room for these cases.
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
3FPS while adequate has been a bit lacking in several Rally type races I have attended. This is partially a factor of my inexperience, but also a factor that one does not always have ample time to shoot a quickly moving subject that is moving parallel to your position. 5FPS would provide more wiggle room for these cases.
If your goal is to capture the vehicle at a specific angle and composition, I would really recommend you learn to anticipate for the shot rather than leaving it up to chance with the FPS race. If you get your 5FPS, and the perfect moment happens right at .3s, then you'll still miss. So what will you demand next? 7FPS? 10FPS? where will that end?

I currently use continuous shooting primarily to make film strips where the series of shots are placed next to each other. 3FPS has been more than enough (I even sometimes skip a picture or 2 in my final product because there are too many shots already)
01-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While I rarely use this feature (continious drive mode), I still consider it an important specification when shopping for a new camera. At this point, I think it is quite reasonable to expect a serious camera to offer 3-fps or quicker. Therefore, that 3-fps is now the very minimum, with cameras offering more gaining a slight advantage and those offering less likely dropped from further consideration. However, this particular spec is only one of many things considered. Consequently, a slower camera in this regard can regain the upper hand over a quicker camera by offering other features or advantages.

But, that said, I expected a bit more than 3-fps with the K20D priced at $1200, and that camera's 21-fps at 1.6 megapixels is simply downright silly. The camera in my comparatively inexpensive cellphone offers nearly the same resolution.

stewart
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My T90 did 4.5 FPS. Burned through a lot of film, and still wasn't fast enough to catch that perfect shot by chance. High FPS, for the most part, is a crutch. Better, I think, to refine one's technique, IMHO.
01-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think it would be nice but I have no need. I shot with a friend that has a Nikon D300 and also an older Nikon D1H he bought for the FPS advantage. We shot baseball together and my shots where just as good in the heat of the action. (I think) his goal was to get shots bat on ball. With the older Nikon he could do it with a burst. I could do it with my K10 and *istds just as well if not more often. Timing it is all about timing. again. I would use it if it was there but even now I don't use the continuos mode that often
01-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Have you seen the photo of a projectile just after it left the barrel of the 155mm howitzer? Now try to time that!! I reckon with 20fps I'd have a good chance of capturing it in one of the frames and 1500x1000 resolution still shows up pretty good on my monitor.
01-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

hardly ever go to continious drive mode. if ever, just for kicks. back then, I thought it was important, but 3fps fits my style just fine, as mentioned above, 5 would be better, for that rare chance, but, my timing has been better, and have been able to catch that right shot in the 3 fps burst
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Have you seen the photo of a projectile just after it left the barrel of the 155mm howitzer? Now try to time that!! I reckon with 20fps I'd have a good chance of capturing it in one of the frames and 1500x1000 resolution still shows up pretty good on my monitor.
Something like this?

YouTube - Missile caught by high speed camera

That camera is going fair bit faster than 20 FPS...