Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Hi sorry to be unclear. I will be driving across the country but plan to do some hiking at places like yellowstone, rocky mountain, utah parks, etc... Yes a ND filter good idea, because I also wanted to ask about that. I had seen something that was a "variable" ND filter basically your turn the filter to have various degrees of stops on the filter. Have you used one of those? There are more expensive ones, but there was one I think made by polaroid that was only about $40 or so I think...
No experience with ND filters, but my little research a while ago shows that the old saying 'you get what you pay for" also applies here.

08-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Hi sorry to be unclear. I will be driving across the country but plan to do some hiking at places like yellowstone, rocky mountain, utah parks, etc... Yes a ND filter good idea, because I also wanted to ask about that. I had seen something that was a "variable" ND filter basically your turn the filter to have various degrees of stops on the filter. Have you used one of those? There are more expensive ones, but there was one I think made by polaroid that was only about $40 or so I think...
Have tried the variable ND filters; at least, the one I tried was variable in that it degraded image quality in various degrees - threw it away.

I use B+W ND filters, only, and they're just great, so I can at least recommend those, although they are expensive. Still: we spend thousands on our lenses, sticking a cola-bottle quality filter in front of them to save a few bucks seems silly.

As I said: good experiences with B+W here. Other brands may be fine also, but I have no first-hand experience with ND filters from those.