Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Color Profiles when importing into Apple Aperture

I have a new K5 and am using Apple Aperture for post processing. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to this stuff, which is why I'm having a tough time finding the answers I need.

Problem: I LOVE shooting in Infrared Camera mode on my K5 and ADORE the results I get on the originals. However, when I import the RAW PEF or DNG files, in both AdobeRGB and sRGB, my files don't remain as I shot them. After import, the thumbnail looks just like the image on the camera. When I open the photo for editing it "reverts" the image to color. I understand that I am shooting in RAW, so all the color information is still there in the photo, so all Aperture is doing is reading all the color information.

I'm assuming that Aperture doesn't have the ability to interpret the Infrared Filter settings that are in camera. I hate then having the convert the image back to Infrared in app because the results are very much not the same.

Has anyone else experienced this, and have they found a solution. I would be so INCREDIBLY thankful for any help.

Thank you so much!

08-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a "feature" not a "problem" of RAW files, RAW files has the colour information. Also, colour space does not apply to RAW files, only jpegs.

One obvious solution is shoot JPEG (or RAW+Jpeg) so you get the jpeg file if that's what you like. Aperture can cope with jpegs as well as RAW's.
08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In-camera filters and color settings are only applied to JPEG. The Infrared filter is only applied to the JPEG preview if you are shooting in RAW only. If you shoot RAW+ the Infrared filter is applied to the JPEG.