Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

How does AE-lock work on a K10D

This might be a newbie question, but I am confused about the operation of AE-L button on my new k10D.

Here is what I am doing...

I am in M mode ( or any other appropriate picture mode)

I am making sure that the Flash exposure correction is set to 0 ( would this even affect AE-lock anyway?)

For the sake of testing... I point the camera to a dark scene... Black sheets, dark curtains, an unlit room.. Anything low-light.

While the camera is focused on this dark scene I press the AE-L button, and a "*" comes up on the in the viewfinder screen, which I take to mean that the exposure has been locked.

I point to a normal or brightly lit subject focus ( pressing the shutter halfway , and making sure my AE-L "*" is still there.

I take the picture, expecting some sort of over-exposure since the AE-L had been set for a DARKER subject....but NOTHING.. The camera exposes the same as if I had not pressed AE-L

Maybe I am missing the point of AE-L or don't know how to set it.

Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.

01-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AE-L isn't usually very helpful in M mode. Since M mode is already locking your exposure. You set it and it doesn't change no matter what you point your camera at because it is manual, you have to make changes. It is more helpful in a mode like Av mode. In that mode, if you were pointed at a dark area the ss would be at a certain number, then if you move it to point at a light scene it ss would get faster. So this is where AE-L helps out. You point it at the darker area with your desired aperture value, press the AE-L, in this example you are locking your ss, then take the shot of your light scene, and as you were expecting the scene should be over exposed because the shutter is slower than needed. Try it on something other than M and see if you get what you expect.
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Travis,
thank you for the tip. I thought that AE-L also helped with flash power and such. I will test it tonight.

STILL in M mode , however:
n practical terms, for example, I might have a scene that has "trouble spot"... something backlit or maybe too reflective.. I was thinking that I woudl use AE-L and spot metering, then pull back and recompose the whole scene... Again maybe I am missing the actual concept of AE-L
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I wish AE locked on shutter half press without also engaging AF lock. That's one thing I do like about Canonz....

01-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
i should point out am trying to use the flah with AE-L
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think AE-L will work with flash. AE-L is there to be used to freeze an exposure set-up mainly for a one shot deal on any auto mode , except green mode (I haven't checked it on green yet...). When you have more than one picture to compensate, it's more efficient to use the exposure compensation system of the camera (or flash). But AE-L works ONLY on auto edxposure modes.
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hudsong Quote
I wish AE locked on shutter half press without also engaging AF lock. That's one thing I do like about Canonz....
True. I forget exactly where it is in the custom settings, you can tie in AF lock and AE lock together to the shutter pressed half way. For now you'll just have to keep it at two buttons. This does seem like something that could be set in the firmware. Maybe switch the AE-L button and shutter at half way in function.

As for AE in manual or maybe it's Tsv. I think it will serve some function. With AE-L on if you change the the shutter or aperture the other will adjust accordingly, keeping the exposure the same. In other automatic modes (Sv, Ts, Av etc) the AE-L will act as described above.