Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

K100D Date won't save?

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and was hoping all you experts out there can give me some advice, before I decide to send my K100D in for repair.

When I power the camera up, the back screen comes on and always asks me to set the date and time. It always shows the date as 1-1-2006 and the time as 00-00

If I set the date and time correctly, then power the camera off, it doesn't remember this and powers back up with the same screen again asking me to set the date and time.

It seems to remember other settings that I change, white balance and ISO settings etc, its just the date and time that it has an issue with. I suspected some sort of internal battery problem, but why does it remember other settings?

It was running on firmware version 1.0 and I've just updated that to the latest 1.2, but the problem is still there. Everything else on the camera appears to work fine.

Any ideas would be most welcome, or is it off to the repair shop?

Other than that its a great camera that I have enjoyed using. The new K20D looks very tempting though!

01-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you may be hitting the menu button instead of the OK button when you are setting the Date/Time. If you hit menu it does not save the new settings. Are the new date and time shown in the exif data for pictures taken prior to turning the camera off? Ken.
02-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sounds like you may be hitting the menu button instead of the OK button when you are setting the Date/Time. If you hit menu it does not save the new settings. Are the new date and time shown in the exif data for pictures taken prior to turning the camera off? Ken.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

No, I am using the "Enter" button and following the procedure correctly. Its the same as my Fuji S5000 so something I am familiar with, as on that camera the date has to be reset after removing the batteries for recharging. If I set the date correctly, and then take a picture without turning the camera off, the correct date and time is stored in the exif data. If I then power the camera off and on again, the date goes back to 1-1-2006 and time to 00-00. This wrong time and date will then be shown in the exif data of the next picture taken. Weird eh? Another problem I noticed is that if I plug the camera into my PC and download photos to Googles Picassa programme, some photos are in the wrong order they were taken. I guess thats because the time and dates are all wrong. If however, I put the SD card in to my PC's card reader slot, they then down load correctly!

I think a visit to the repair shop is in order, but thanks for your suggestion.

Regards...Dave.
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

Hi Dave. I have an older Garmin 12XL GPS and the internal battery would get a trickle charge from the AAs. If you did not leave batteries in the unit eventually the internal battery would run down and cause problems. So your question got me to wondering if the K100D has an internal battery or uses some sort of capacitance means of saving the info.

Based on Pentax FAQ page -
PENTAX Products : Digital Cameras

"How long does the date / time stay in memory when the battery is removed?

The camera will remember the date/time, and the internal clock will continue to run for approximately 48 hours after the battery is removed. Note: The above data is based on testing after the camera has already run with a new, fully charged battery for a minimum of 12 hours. A brand new camera that has not yet passed 48 hours with a fully charged battery may display different results."

Based on this info I assume it is an internal capacitance design - perhaps you just need to leave the new batteries in the unit (suggest CRV3) as per above - long enough to get the internal voltage/memory design/capacitor high enough to store the date/time info? Ken.

Last edited by bbpa103; 02-04-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Newer info
02-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for that reply Ken.
I'll try that now. I normally use high capacity rechargeables, but just lately have been swopping them into my Fuji S5000, so the K100D has been sitting around with no batteries in it at times. What you explained does make sense, so I'll charge the batteries fully, and leave them in the camera for a few days and then have ago at setting the date and time again to see if it does stay set correctly.

Watch this space!!
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well I tried your idea Ken, but sadly it didn't work. I left some fully charged batteries in for several days, but alas as soon as I power off the date and time go back to 1-1-2006 and a time of 00-00. If I leave it powered up for a couple of minutes, the time does advance and that new time is stored in the exif data, but as soon as I switch off its back to default. Anything else I change such as white balance, or ISO settings etc is remembered, but I suspect as the time is a "rolling" thing, it must use a different method to store it?

It looks like its off to the repair shop, but thanks for your input Ken.

Best Wishes......Dave.
02-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #7

Hi Dave. Interested in the shop's verdict. Ken.

02-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

just wondering, Dave.. did you update the firmware?
02-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K110D came back from Pentax repair (I broke it) with a different problem that may help you troubleshoot. My camera's date holds as long as there are batteries in the camera. Off/on is no problem. I can't change the batteries fast enough not to lose the date, which comes up as you describe. All other settings stay intact. This confirms the date is held differently then all other settings. I >suspect< other settings are kept in non-volatile memory that is written only occasionally. The ever changing date is stored in volatile but always powered memory. The alternate power source is broken on my K110D so the date is reset when the batteries are removed.

I live with it, the K110D astro camera is used almost exclusively with external power. It would be a problem for me if my K100D daytime camera kept losing the date & time.
04-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
My K110D came back from Pentax repair (I broke it) with a different problem that may help you troubleshoot. My camera's date holds as long as there are batteries in the camera. Off/on is no problem. I can't change the batteries fast enough not to lose the date, which comes up as you describe. All other settings stay intact.
I have the same problem with my K100D (and my Fuji FinePix S5500 and my Nikon Coolpix 2500).

Ahh, the advantages of my *istD which has a separate button cell for the clock.