Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
msatlas: The K-x has AF fine adjustment. You go into the debug menu to get to it. More info here.

As far as the focus indicator, I'll admit it's kinda nice to have the red light in the center rather than the green octagon, but I always use the center focus point anyway, so it's no biggie for me.

08-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter

For a beginner's first DSLR, I'd go with the K-x. I also have the K5, and K20d with bigger sensors, but I really don't see that as making much difference in my results. I'd go with the K-x over later models for two reasons: size, price and batteries. The camera is small and fits in a large waist pack. The K-x, well purchased, will be half the K30. When you first buy one, you don't really know what you want in a DSLR and I recommend not spending tons of money finding out. The same is true for the batteries. The K-x appears to be the last entry-level Pentax DSLR which will take AA batteries. That is a shame. When you start out, carrying a charger and batteries that don't fit anything else (including your next DSLR) is a real pain. Put some lithium batteries in a K-x, and you've got an entire vacation of photos (using the VF) with power to spare.
08-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The K-x appears to be the last entry-level Pentax DSLR which will take AA batteries. That is a shame.
Gene, the K-r and K-30 use AA batteries, you just need an adapter:
pentax kr aa battery adapter | eBay
08-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Gene, the K-r and K-30 use AA batteries, you just need an adapter
As does the K-5 if you get the battery grip.

08-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think it was already mentioned, but here we go:
K-x: Its a DSLR, its small, its cute. Probably can't get one that is new and with warranty.
K-r: An improvement over the K-x, even though they use the same sensor. The K-r has focus indicators in the viewfinder, which can be very helpful. With an adapter it can use AA batteries.
K-01: Mirrorless, better sensor than the two previously mentioned cameras (same sensor as K-5, though doesn't record as many bits). Great camera for most things, no front/backfocusing problems because it only has contrast detect. The only problem with this might be if you want to take a shot of something moving quickly, like animals. But you can try manual focus with those. It has focus peaking.
K-30: Basically the K-r, with the K-01's sensor and focus peaking. Also weather resistant, which can be great - so a small drizzle doesn't scare you (you need a WR lens for the system to be WR though).
K-5: Pentax' top of the line camera, but recently discontinued to make room for their next flagship (which hasn't yet been announced), which means you can get a great deal on it. It, generally speaking, has great AF, ISO, and bit depth/dynamic range. The 'pro' camera.

I own a K-r and a K-01. Oh, another thing is, the K-01 doesn't look like a big badass camera, it looks like a fun camera (and it is fun to use), which means that people around you will be more relaxed. If you walk around the streets with a black DSLR people can get suspicious and tense. Between the K-r and K-01, I almost prefer the K-01 for most things, except, when I need the focus to be really quick or when shooting in really low light conditions.
Just remembered one more thing - the K-01 and the K-5 are much more silent than the K-r. The shutter (or rather, the mirror) in the K-r is so loud it annoys some people, though its nothing absurd. Dunno about the K-30.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-18-2012 at 07:39 AM.
08-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Gene, the K-r and K-30 use AA batteries, you just need an adapter:
pentax kr aa battery adapter | eBay
The K-r adapter is one more thing to lose or break. The design for proprietary batteries and an adapter adds size and cost. However, the K-r would be my second choice for a beginner camera because this adapter is usable. It is not my first choice because the K-r ends up slightly bigger and is presently significantly higher priced. Of course, I thought it was also a mistake to drop the support for the double lithiums you could use in the K100d.

As to the K5, well you can probably run anything on AAs if you have a big enough adapter. I own that K5 grip and adapter, and I have never used it with AAs. If you are going to carry the proprietary batteries along, the adapter in the grip just adds space and weight.
08-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
K-30: Basically the K-r, with the K-01's sensor and focus peaking. Also weather resistant, which can be great - so a small drizzle doesn't scare you (you need a WR lens for the system to be WR though).
The K-r and K-30 have a plastic shell, come in colours, and use the same battery. Other than these minor similarities, please tell me what justifies your statement. Aside from the items you mentioned (focus peaking, weather-resistance and better sensor), the K-30 has dual wheels, TAv mode, User Modes, 100% pentaprism OVF, more buttons, improved processor, improved low light auto-focus, AF-C tracking, faster CDAF, improved video and probably more. The K-30 and K-r are in different leagues.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
08-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The K-30 and K-r are in different leagues.
You wrote a nice list and are right. I guess the K-30 isn't just the next one in the K-m, K-x,K-r line, but an altogether different evolutionary branch.

08-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Pentaxian

You wrote a nice list and are right. I guess the K-30 isn't just the next one in the K-m, K-x,K-r line, but an altogether different evolutionary branch.
I still think we'll see a K-r replacement. There's room for a lower cost body with K-r controls, upgraded sensor and improved AF.
08-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Like Na Horuk, I first got a K-r and now have a K-01 as well.
I prefer using it over the K-r because I find the live view + focus peaking more fun and precise than the small VF of the K-r.
Also with the 40XS, it makes a great and compact walk around kit. Like a big P&S but with awesome IQ.

For street shooting, the AF of the K-r is faster, but the K-01 shutter is almost silent, which is great for stealth shoots

In the end I vote for the K-01 (except if you want to try astrophotography with the GPS module, the K-01 is not compatible).
08-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
Site Supporter

I would say it is the branch which started and seemed to have ended with the K200d.