Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #1

K-x or k-01?

Hi guys! I am new to photography and would like decide on my first serious camera. After searching around, i narrow down to the k-x but seeing price for the k-01 from singapore, i wonder would it be a better choice? just 530SGD for the body. I guess i would be doing alot on street and landscape photography.

Or should i really just save alittle for the new k-30? would that be a overkill as a first dslr? I was thinking of the k-r as well but was taken alittle back after hearing all the issues from the k-r owners. Any suggestions?

08-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you interested in action photography at all, or do you care for a viewfinder? If so, I'd get a K-x over the K-01. If not, then the K-01 is better in most other respects, although I don't think a K-30 would be overkill at all as it's even easier to use thanks to its second scrollwheel!
08-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I think the K-30 would be a brilliant beginner's camera. Pentax doesn't have the touchy-feely friendly walkthrough guide modes that Canon and Nikon reportedly do, but if you can spend five minutes reading about photographic fundamentals, you should be fine.

The K-x is quite dated. I was looking at it but went for the newer K-r at the time, though I really want to upgrade to the 30, 5 or whatever comes next (am waiting for announcement of the K-5's successor). But really, the K-30 would be a great bit of kit for the price. Definitely not overkill at all. I think you'd be really pleased with it as it won't have quite the same limitations as the entry level bodies (WR, two wheels, better sensor).
08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a K-x and K20D. The K-x has good high ISO performance and is compact for a DSLR, but the K20D controls make it much nicer to use in most situations. For image quality, the K-30 is superior to the K-x in every way and the features are mid-level, not entry-level like the K-x.

There is nothing about the K-01 that is superior to the K-30 unless you value the slightly smaller size. The K-30 has several advantages over the K-01, most notably a superb optical viewfinder, more sophisticated controls and faster autofocus.

Is the K-30 too much camera for a someone new to DSLR's? Not IMO! I will never again buy a camera without dual wheels and TAv mode (or auto ISO in M-mode). Great controls make a camera easier to use, not harder, and the K-30 still has helper modes for people who don't care to learn. It eclipses the lower level bodies from Pentax and beats anything available from any other manufacturer at anywhere near the price (for photography, not video, which I know nothing about, don't use and don't care for).

Get the K-30, it's a LOT more camera than the K-x or K-01.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.
08-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

My opinion is that a serious camera has a viewfinder.Between the two you are considering the K-X is the better choice.
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help. Honestly somethings are still quite alien to me, would be searching around and look more in depth later on.

For now, i guess i might give the k-01 a skip, too certain on the viewfinder part but i would hate to realise i might just need the viewfinder after buying it. Im seriously considering the k-30 and perhaps the older models like k20d
08-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

The K30 would be a great beginner, intermediate and semi-professional camera. Saves you upgrading later if you feel you really do love photography more than you expected. More importantly. What lens can you afford with what body. better lens with worse body gets better results than the opposite in a lot of circumstances. K30 has amazing low light performance. If you get an average kit lens, i would go a cheapish full range one like a sigma 18-200 and then get a nifty 50mm f1.8 asap for incredible quality. you will be happy for yonks with that setup. or even get the new 40mm pancake
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
My opinion is that a serious camera has a viewfinder.Between the two you are considering the K-X is the better choice.
I'd have to agree with this, but I'm biased. ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
For image quality, the K-30 is superior to the K-x in every way
I don't doubt the K-30's better, but I have a hard time imagining how much better the image quality could be when I can take a head shot of someone & when viewed at full size see the individual fibers of their irises in detail. The K-30 looks like a sweet camera, tho. :-)

08-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

For your 1st camera get a K30-Kr-Kx in that order of preference- the Kx is the smallest of the three though. Not a huge jump picture quality wise more high ISO improvement and better controls and 100% Pentaprisim of the K30. (the last two reasons made me get a K7 over a Kx for my first camera and glad I did)
I would only consider the K-01 if you were after a second camera to complement a K10/K20/K7 due to its small size/movie mode and high ISO capabilities.
08-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #10

Although the kx is a great beginner camera, in use I had a few issues with it. It often struggled to lock focus, loud shutter/mirror, when using rechargeable batteries it never had an accurate battery level meter, no focus confirmation dot. I know this is little but the screen never seemed to show colours and exposure properly and wasn't very good for checking focus.
photos on the camera had a matte feel to them, sometimes seeming bland, i used both the K7 and Kx at the same shoots and got much better and glossier results with the K7. The K7 wasn't considered pentax's best effort. The K5 got rid of all of the problems for me with the previous cameras and the K30 seems to be all the image and feature benefits with a more basic body.
08-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'd have to agree with this, but I'm biased. ;-)

I don't doubt the K-30's better, but I have a hard time imagining how much better the image quality could be when I can take a head shot of someone & when viewed at full size see the individual fibers of their irises in detail. The K-30 looks like a sweet camera, tho. :-)
Image size and clarity are not everything.
By all means it is a great camera, but if they can afford better, why not go for it
08-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x is still very capable camera, still use it as well as K-5 but K-30 is right now on the top of my list, just posted on the another thread:
for everyday casual photos I much prefer K-30, lighter,smaller, can use very convenient AA'a batteries ,faster Pentax lenses correction in the camera, much faster processing and recording photos to SD card,
faster and more precise AF and MF confirmation + all Live View ( which I do not use , except on the Q - there is no other choice) improvements.
I took well over 1000 photos with my K-30 , some there:
Pentax K-30 - a set on Flickr
will upload some more tonight
08-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Image size and clarity are not everything.
By all means it is a great camera, but if they can afford better, why not go for it
Agreed. If I was a moneyed kinda guy, I'd buy a K-30 or a K-5.
08-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I upgraded from a K-x to a K-r. No issues with either camera. K-r adds 3 very useful features to me:

AF points visible in viewfinder - this ended up being a deal breaker for me with the K-x. I like to select focus points manually and was constantly taking my eye away from the finder to select AF points on the K-x.

AF fine adjustment - this is only a very basic implementation on the K-r, but at least it's there. It doesn't remember the setting specific to each lens so you have to remember the correction factor for each of your lenses and adjust each time you switch. I keep a list saved as a draft in my gmail and if I can't remember a setting for a lens I just pull out my phone and it's right there. Cumbersome but better than not having it on the K-x. I have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 which I thought was a dud on my K-x but with the K-r I dialed in a -5 AF fine adjustment and the lens is great now that it's focusing properly. A lot of my other lenses only need a +1 or -1 but even that slight correction makes a noticeable improvement in keeper rate.

Much higher resolution screen - this is more just nice as it has enough sharpness that you can much more readily judge correct focus. A nice side effect is when I hand the camera to non-camera people to look at a shot they're usually surprised to see such a sharp image on the back of a camera. So it's kinda like instant justification of carrying all this crap around compared to a p&s.
08-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Forum Member

I like everything about the K-x except for the handling and the viewfinder. Specifically the lack of AF points in the viewfinder. But even with that said, I still love it and its a beast of a camera years after its release. So I would definitely recommend that if its STRICTLY between those two. However if you do street photography, I would definitely get the K-01 no doubt. Its even easier to carry, and more importantly, people don't seem to be threatened when you are pointing something rectangular and brightly colored at them as opposed to a bulkY black SLR and a big lens sticking out, this can't be overstated in my opinion, its a HUGE advantage for street photography. However, in most other ways, I am going to recommend a K-x or something else with a viewfinder.