Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
feeling better about the DA 18-135

As one of the original unhappy owners, it's nice to wipe a smudge or two from this lens' reputation. My early copy was unsatisfactory on my K-7, and having received it used I felt no comfort in sending it in for repairs without a purchase date or receipt. Since any copy would have been in warranty it probably would have been no problem but I received a decent offer and the new owner kept it (as far as I know) so no real harm done.. except to my hurt feelings about what should have been a fine lens plus my handing out low marks on a fairly new lens.

Last week I won an auction copy from a new K30 owner. This one looks like new and feels better than I remember the other lens - very tight and smooth rings, for example. Images took more scrutiny before showing some off-axis issues, nothing as appalling as the first copy. And tonight while toying with it I set AF fine-tuning to -4 on my K-5 and now it really looks nice. I look forward to trying this setting in daylight to see if results are even better than yesterday.

Anyway, just thought this note should go public. I do not regret disliking the old copy, as it wasn't a good match to my body du jour - but I'm really happy to have a high-quality copy like most other owners. I expect more K30s will be parted from their 18-135s and soon others will enjoy copies of a very handy lens.

And away go some of the lenses in that kit I raved about less than two months ago...

08-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
... I expect more K30s will be parted from their 18-135s ...
OT but why is this? I would think the 18-135 would be a good choice for most entry- to mid-range users.
08-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hmmmm, had to buy two lenses to get a good one... exactly why I don't buy used, and passed the one you didn't like onto someone else... another reason why I don't like to buy used. Since you can still buy the 18-55 with your kit, you have to ask for the 18-135, I'm not clear on why someone would order the 18-135 and then sell it either.

OP, Have you had your coffee this morning yet?
08-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
OT but why is this? I would think the 18-135 would be a good choice for most entry- to mid-range users.
I was unclear for sure - the seller was someone who had many good Pentax lenses, and felt the 18-135 would not get used. Anyone just coming into Pentax would be well served to hold on to it!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmmm, had to buy two lenses to get a good one... exactly why I don't buy used, and passed the one you didn't like onto someone else... another reason why I don't like to buy used.
I offer a 10-day waiting period on any sale to folks on this forum, so while I could be unscrupulous about it I feel OK about this. You as a buyer might not, and I'm OK with that too.
I posted this around 10pm local time - It's 7am here now, and coffee sounds good! Thanks for the prompt...

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 08-11-2012 at 07:52 AM.