Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
gREAT post!

01-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #17

"Reasons not to get the new Pentax K20DThere are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet. Like the K10D, the new K20D will win numerous awards and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was named camera of the year 2008 or 2009. So instead of listing what I would like the K20D to have, I listed what innovation the K20D offers and if you don’t like those innovations, the K20D is not for you.
"

I have not read all the posts regarding the new K20D but I did not think there were too many negative ones - some people mentioned their disappointment about certain upgrades that they wanted but are still lacking in the K20D.

All these discussions mean little as we are yet too see a review of this camera - it might end up a piece of rubbish. I personally like all the additions and for me the K20D gets 5 shiny stars for trying to satisfy the amatuer photographer - lets hope it turns out a good one.

I can't see that this camera is inovative and it wont win inovative awards. Most inovations that the K20D has was already in the K10D or the K100D Super - I am not sure that Dust Alert is a great inovation but I love what they have done with this camera for the price.

Lets wait for the reviews before we get too excited or too disappointed

Cheers
Keith
01-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Reasons not to get the new Pentax K20DThere are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet. Like the K10D, the new K20D will win numerous awards and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was named camera of the year 2008 or 2009. So instead of listing what I would like the K20D to have, I listed what innovation the K20D offers and if you don’t like those innovations, the K20D is not for you.

* To begin with, if you think that silver halide pictures are better than the new generation of digital single lens reflex cameras, don’t buy the K20D.

* If you don’t like a CMOS sensor, which gives the K20D some immunity against noise at higher ISO and also uses less power, giving you about 740 shots per battery charge compared to 500 with the K10D, then don’t buy the K20D.

* If you don’t like the fact that the K20D is backward compatible with around twenty-four millions lenses sold by Pentax since the beginning of their first single lens reflex camera, then you don’t want the K20D.

* If you prefer buying a new battery grip designed just for one model, instead of using your Pentax K10D grip on a new K20D, don’t get a K20D.

* If you want your RAW files in the manufacturer specified format only and not have the capability of also saving your RAW files in DGN format, which is compatible with all Photoshop products, then the K20D is not for you.
* If a 2.7” monitor is too big for you, don’t get the K20D.

* If you don’t need or will never need a flash sync for studio photography, don’t get the K20D.

* If you like to pay between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00 for a DSLR with about the same features as the K20D, but maybe with a smaller 10MP or 12 MP sensors instead of a 14.6 effective MP, you won’t be able to find a K20D at that price. You will have to spend about $1,299.00 U.S. to get a new K20D. If you don’t need digital or real-time preview, with capability of keeping the previewed picture, you don’t need the K20D.

* If you don’t want a rugged camera with dust and humidity protection so that you can keep shooting in any weather, the K20D is not for you.

* If you don’t want a great dust removal system, which included the only available “Dust Alert” system available today that shows a reverse image where the stubborn dust remains on the sensor, or want to purchase a $109.95 sensor scope to see whatever dust has remained accumulated on the sensor, then you certainly don’t want the K20D as it is the only DSLR that has the “Dust Alert” technology.

* If you think that live-view with an available grid display and zoom with AF selection is not useful in some situations like low angle shooting, etc, then maybe you don’t need a K20D.

* You don’t need focus adjustment for your lenses collection, there is no point to purchase the K20D.

* If you think that a burst mode of 20 images per second @1.6 MP could be useful in documenting an important event that can easily be transformed into a MPEG or other video format, you don’t need a K20D.

I could go on and on, but you must get the idea by now. There are more features in the new K20D than ever before in the history of photography, and somehow some of us still want more. Stop counting the pixels, stop comparing images enlarged 100 times, stop reading specifications and go out there and take pictures. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to program pictures?

Some images at: Pentax dslrs

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque
I have to say this is a marketing post, which by the way belongs to a dedicated forum like this one. It is well written and the author gets all my credits for it.
On the other hand, none of these "innovations", except maybe CMOS sensor and focus adjustment, are making me beleive, that I'll make better pictures with K20D than with my K100D. They are all just some improvements against older models to make better marketing, which Pentax is short of.
01-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I caught the humor in the original post: congratulations. On the other hand, I've not read much by way of negative comments, albeit, I don't come here as often as I used to!

01-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

heres some advice.. anyone who thinks the k20d is going to be crap... dont buy it and dont bother whinging about it until you actually have it sitting infront of you.
-anyone that thinks it is going to be awesome.. join me and buy one. simple,.

the k100ds and k10d are fantastic cameras ,so theres no reason that the k20d would be a step down from them. i dont really think pentax will release something that is average in comparison to their previous models and if they do.. well , i will look at moving to NIKON.

i made a dangerous mistake and had a look at some of their high end dslr's and i was slightly concerned that some of their camera bodys are twice the price of anything pentax sells. it sort of made me wonder why NIKON can charge more than pentax can, and where the money is going.. surely if nikon can produce a $3,000+ camera, pentax could do the same to match specs and features and build quality? how can their be such a huge difference in pricing? im curious.... and concerned at the same time...

dont get me wrong, i absolutely love my k100ds and i wouldnt change it for the world (until the k20d comes out).... however, it has got me wondering... if i continue to pursue my career in photography,... am i going to hit a brick wall with pentax,... ?? i really hope not..

Last edited by distorted_vision; 01-31-2008 at 12:23 AM.
01-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my point of view, nobody here thinks K20D is going to be crap... this is not the point. For sure it is going to be a hell of a camera for the money. The point is what you are wondering: Why can Nikon sell cameras for $3,000... It's marketing mate! And as I said: that is what Pentax is short of. Pentax is not a BRAND name like Canon, Nikon. They know that, so they don't compete with them. From here I can see e new marketing strategy: new approach at the market segment, Pentax is covering.
01-31-2008, 01:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
From my point of view, nobody here thinks K20D is going to be crap... this is not the point. For sure it is going to be a hell of a camera for the money. The point is what you are wondering: Why can Nikon sell cameras for $3,000... It's marketing mate! And as I said: that is what Pentax is short of. Pentax is not a BRAND name like Canon, Nikon. They know that, so they don't compete with them. From here I can see e new marketing strategy: new approach at the market segment, Pentax is covering.
marketing... yes, that would make alot of sense actually.. thanks for pointing that out mate!
i cant wait to get the k20d!! i was very close to upgrading to the k10d, but seeing as the k20d is available sooner rather than later.. i will just wait a bit longer!

01-31-2008, 03:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I was ready to upgrade, I would also take K20D, but I'm just not yet. K100D works for me, and I have a lot to learn also.
01-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #24
Forum Member

I think some people have had a sense of humour/irony failure
01-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i think some people have the sense of a majical wasteland, full of fluffy pink and green rabbits and an overwhelming amount of fig trees, rustling in the summer nights breeze, .... aaahhh
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I just got my K10D a few weeks ago because I'm not at a point where spending twice as much on a state of the art camera would make me a better photographer.

I'm new once again to photography after a 10 year sabatical from the hobby and I felt the K10D would satisfy my wants and needs and still be a better machine than a Rebel.

Maybe I'll be ready for a K20D when the K30D's are coming out.
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I just got my K10D a few weeks ago because I'm not at a point where spending twice as much on a state of the art camera would make me a better photographer.

I'm new once again to photography after a 10 year sabatical from the hobby and I felt the K10D would satisfy my wants and needs and still be a better machine than a Rebel.

Maybe I'll be ready for a K20D when the K30D's are coming out.
At last, an honest person, someone who admits their limits.

At least you'll get a great price on the K20D
01-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
i made a dangerous mistake and had a look at some of their high end dslr's and i was slightly concerned that some of their camera bodys are twice the price of anything pentax sells. it sort of made me wonder why NIKON can charge more than pentax can, and where the money is going..
In a word EGO. Kind of like when we were kids. My daddy can whoop your daddy
01-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In a word EGO. Kind of like when we were kids. My daddy can whoop your daddy
yeh, i get ya..
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

One reason is Adequate, already!

Who would pay double the price of a K10D to buy essentially the same camera with just a new Samsung sensor module?