Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Who would pay double the price of a K10D to buy essentially the same camera with just a new Samsung sensor module?
Mr RiceHigh :

Would you happen to have a blog for your so much loved 5D? In my humble opinion of a low-life-no-good-Pentax-K10D inferior user , I would love to read the wisdom of such a highest-ordered photographer , YOU . After all , Sir RiceHigh , if you spend that much time in blogging something you hate , aka Pentax , it's quite normal to spend at least an equal amount of time and passion for beloved one . I strongly suggest you do it , if you've not already done so because you spend so much time blasting Pentax away . My Goodness , you even know how bad is K20D when it's not even in you hand ! Such great foresight ! Put it in blog , please .

Just think of the poor souls that you will enlighten out there . Do it for the human spirits , for the greater good of mankind . The world will be much better place with all your advices . Much nicer photos to look at .

BTW , what kind of rice do you feast upon that , I beg your pardon , you get so hot dang HIGH ? Seriously , aquatic , hill-grown ,long grain , short grain , medium , pearl , brown , white , wild ,basmati , jasmine , polished , instant , converted , aborio , parboiled, or talc ??? Maybe I get get HIGH like you so I can take some decent photo for once . I give you my promise that I won't spend time on my HIGH to "devalue" other products but for and only for that supreme photo . You know what I am talking about right ? The photo that just makes me wetting my own pants .

Thanks so much in advance !

PS: Please forgive me if I don't come back to this thread to reply to you . You see , I am such a novice so much of my time is consumed by the search for better photo tips , practicing and comparing so perhaps one day , I pray dearly everyday , I can take a good photo .

PS II : To others . Sorry for the OT .

02-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

One more reason...

* Because the Samsung model will cost less with all of the above...
02-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
If its really so, then ppls should really all go Samsung when they are decided.
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Mr RiceHigh :

Would you happen to have a blog for your so much loved 5D? .
Well, if he has nothing bad to say about the 5D, why would he have a blog?

Blog are only to bitch blindly about things you don't like right?

02-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Who would pay double the price of a K10D to buy essentially the same camera with just a new Samsung sensor module?
I hear you! But wait, there is more!

Some people have been known to pay more than double the price of a 40D to buy essentially a 20D (with only 3fps and an X-sync of 1/200s: can you believe it?) with just a different sensor module inside... why would anyone do that?!... :ugh:
02-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Maybe not exactly... GX20 Body: $1399.00

According to CNET.com's Lori Grunin: "... OK, so We do know something that I haven't seen elsewhere, though: the price. The body-only version will be $1,399.95--inexplicably $100 more than its identical twin, the Pentax K20D--and will ship in March."

Edit: Now she is saying they are both $1300 for k20d and gx20: source video: Video: Pentax K20D & Samsung GX-20 - CNET Reviews

Go figure!

source: Samsung 14.6-megapixel dSLR joins Pentax in game of leapfrog | PMA 2008 - CNET Blogs

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote

Last edited by solar1; 02-01-2008 at 01:26 PM.
02-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I just got my K10D a few weeks ago because I'm not at a point where spending twice as much on a state of the art camera would make me a better photographer.

I'm new once again to photography after a 10 year sabatical from the hobby and I felt the K10D would satisfy my wants and needs and still be a better machine than a Rebel.

Maybe I'll be ready for a K20D when the K30D's are coming out.
I was in EXACTLY the same position as you approximately 6 months ago when I got back into photography after a long sabbatical and I can tell you personally the K10D is perfect for me, it's got more options than any film camera I ever had and it seems great for a "re-learner" like me. I'm relearning photography and learning D-SLR at the same time. I think you'll have the same experience. Like you I'll also be looking at the K20D when the K30D or K40D is coming out.

02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Have you ACTUALLY used the camera? I have and I can say unequivocally that for my metier the improvement in resolution and finesse is a good enough reason for me to adopt it as soon as it becomes available.

Ben
02-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #39
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Have you ACTUALLY used the camera? I have and I can say unequivocally that for my metier the improvement in resolution and finesse is a good enough reason for me to adopt it as soon as it becomes available.

Ben
Ben, with all due respect, I believe the point RH - like him or not - was trying to make was more about the price difference between the two cameras. And unless you are ACTUALLY paying for your K20D, I don't know that you are in a position to comment on such a comment.

That said, I rather enjoyed the OP's method of pointing out what improvements/features will make this new model a popular release in '08.

Rob
02-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
Ben, with all due respect, I believe the point RH - like him or not - was trying to make was more about the price difference between the two cameras. And unless you are ACTUALLY paying for your K20D, I don't know that you are in a position to comment on such a comment.
Unfortunately that was based on the ASSumption that the 2 are quite similar. An ASSumption that has yet to be proven. Specs can be misleading at this stage. Pentax has (arguably) usually understated changes that weren't large and/or global but changes are made.
Am I assuming an order of magnatude (as in 2x better)? Well the new sensor alone is a good reason for a good price increase based on the premium on first generation adoption of new technology.No his statement was pure garbage......
Quote:Who would pay double the price of a K10D to buy essentially the same camera with just a new Samsung sensor module?...............
As I said this assumes they are pretty equal... Let's see how that shakes out....Each will decide how much the same and how much different in the FUTURE when the cameras actually released... No sooner or later......
The biggest hit in modern history is the loss of logic.....

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
That said, I rather enjoyed the OP's method of pointing out what improvements/features will make this new model a popular release in '08.

Rob
I liked that myself.
02-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Am I assuming an order of magnatude (as in 2x better)? Well the new sensor alone is a good reason for a good price increase based on the premium on first generation adoption of new technology.No his statement was pure garbage......
An order of magnitude improved (x10 most generally accepted) it will not be, but you are correct the Samsung may be slightly higher spec'd than the Pentax even though apparently they share the same sensor and likely much of the main hardware. What we do know is that the Samsung is WiFi enabled and it's sure to be cheaper even though we don't know by how much at this stage. ;-)
02-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
An order of magnitude improved (x10 most generally accepted) it will not be, but you are correct the Samsung may be slightly higher spec'd than the Pentax even though apparently they share the same sensor and likely much of the main hardware. What we do know is that the Samsung is WiFi enabled and it's sure to be cheaper even though we don't know by how much at this stage. ;-)
Actually the question was k10/gx10 price vs k20/gx20 price. Currently the new sale price is being "negotiated" between Samsung and Hoya (err Pentax).
Pentax chiefs hold talks on price of K20D digital SLR camera news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
Hoya (err Pentax) wants higer profits and a possible loss of market share. Samsung is apparently taking the other road (low profit but increased market share) Poor Pentax is in the middle sort of. They just want to make cameras.
02-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #43
Syb
Veteran Member

Do you have a K10d and are you still happy with it - not missing the new features offered by K20d?

Did you only get interested in K20d after reading about it on this forum?

Do you think that being happy with something is not dependent on the fact that it is the very newest thing available?

Then you don't need a K20d. And you test negative on "EBA Pentaxis"
02-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Do you have a K10d and are you still happy with it - not missing the new features offered by K20d?

Did you only get interested in K20d after reading about it on this forum?

Do you think that being happy with something is not dependent on the fact that it is the very newest thing available?

Then you don't need a K20d. And you test negative on "EBA Pentaxis"
Well I have an *istD. Passed on the other D series. Sat out the k100. Didn't like the K10 (personal reasons) but the IQ and resolution is quite appealling on the k20 IF it's high iso is at least equiv. to my D and it's pixel resoltion is much higher (which isn't hard to do) ....k200 is a pass since if I'm going to go for a new camera I DO want the best I can get from Pentax.
I think the k200 is doomed if Hoya keeps the margin demand up.... More personal opinion.
Notice I didn't include frame rates ect... non-issue for me personally. I do wish Pentax would have taken a few hints from Nikon (import WB coefficients/tone curves) and included a metering "bias" adjustment (no not just exposure compensation, just a tweak of the "starting point" of the meter, if you get my drift). Of course this is all personal for my own selfish reasons and in no way affects any others........
One last thing.
Since they did implement "live view" I do wish it had a positional screen. Makes Macro in the dirt a bit easier.............The 2 seem so logical together.....
02-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #45
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm one of the ones who currently has a DS and wants to upgrade to the K10. Why not the K20? I simply can't afford it. It's good to know that the upgrade will still be such a great step up. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it. The K10 fund is up to just over $400, so I'm anticipating being able to get mine before the end of February.

Heather
Amen Heather!

Yours is the most practical post in this thread.

Thank you for that!

Don