Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why you shouldn't buy a Pentax K20D!

Reasons not to get the new Pentax K20DThere are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet. Like the K10D, the new K20D will win numerous awards and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was named camera of the year 2008 or 2009. So instead of listing what I would like the K20D to have, I listed what innovation the K20D offers and if you don’t like those innovations, the K20D is not for you.

* To begin with, if you think that silver halide pictures are better than the new generation of digital single lens reflex cameras, don’t buy the K20D.

* If you don’t like a CMOS sensor, which gives the K20D some immunity against noise at higher ISO and also uses less power, giving you about 740 shots per battery charge compared to 500 with the K10D, then don’t buy the K20D.

* If you don’t like the fact that the K20D is backward compatible with around twenty-four millions lenses sold by Pentax since the beginning of their first single lens reflex camera, then you don’t want the K20D.

* If you prefer buying a new battery grip designed just for one model, instead of using your Pentax K10D grip on a new K20D, don’t get a K20D.

* If you want your RAW files in the manufacturer specified format only and not have the capability of also saving your RAW files in DGN format, which is compatible with all Photoshop products, then the K20D is not for you.
* If a 2.7” monitor is too big for you, don’t get the K20D.

* If you don’t need or will never need a flash sync for studio photography, don’t get the K20D.

* If you like to pay between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00 for a DSLR with about the same features as the K20D, but maybe with a smaller 10MP or 12 MP sensors instead of a 14.6 effective MP, you won’t be able to find a K20D at that price. You will have to spend about $1,299.00 U.S. to get a new K20D. If you don’t need digital or real-time preview, with capability of keeping the previewed picture, you don’t need the K20D.

* If you don’t want a rugged camera with dust and humidity protection so that you can keep shooting in any weather, the K20D is not for you.

* If you don’t want a great dust removal system, which included the only available “Dust Alert” system available today that shows a reverse image where the stubborn dust remains on the sensor, or want to purchase a $109.95 sensor scope to see whatever dust has remained accumulated on the sensor, then you certainly don’t want the K20D as it is the only DSLR that has the “Dust Alert” technology.

* If you think that live-view with an available grid display and zoom with AF selection is not useful in some situations like low angle shooting, etc, then maybe you don’t need a K20D.

* You don’t need focus adjustment for your lenses collection, there is no point to purchase the K20D.

* If you think that a burst mode of 20 images per second @1.6 MP could be useful in documenting an important event that can easily be transformed into a MPEG or other video format, you don’t need a K20D.

I could go on and on, but you must get the idea by now. There are more features in the new K20D than ever before in the history of photography, and somehow some of us still want more. Stop counting the pixels, stop comparing images enlarged 100 times, stop reading specifications and go out there and take pictures. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to program pictures?

Some images at: Pentax dslrs

Thank you for reading,

Yvon Bourque

01-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great post. There are some other reasons not to buy the K20D.

* Two images side by side on the lcd at the same time. Who needs that.
* Larger type setting on menus. Useless for people with 20/20 vision.
* Intravalometer. Some would rather hit the shutter button every half hour 24/7 for weeks.
* B&W infrared in camera processing. Why would anyone want images that look out of the ordinary?
Can't wait till mine arrives.

thanks
barondla

ps How long till there is a K20D book?
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Stop counting the pixels, stop comparing images enlarged 100 times, stop reading specifications and go out there and take pictures. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to program pictures?
Ironically, if you just go out and use your k10d or k20d to take pictures, focusing, looking in the VF, syncing with flash, moving your hand to the battery grip to take a portrait (only to move it back again because your thumb didnt find any AF button), using the available buttons on the body to change settings, then the experience will be the same, no reason to get a k20d instead of your k10d then.

It is when you get back home, and start pixel peeping and compare your k20d shots with a new sensor to your k10d shots, comparing detail and noise, then you will see the differences.

the k20d is a k10d with new firmare and new sensor. more or less. so if you dont pixel peep then stay with your k10d.
01-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great post. There are some other reasons not to buy the K20D.

* Two images side by side on the lcd at the same time. Who needs that.
* Larger type setting on menus. Useless for people with 20/20 vision.
* Intravalometer. Some would rather hit the shutter button every half hour 24/7 for weeks.
* B&W infrared in camera processing. Why would anyone want images that look out of the ordinary?
Can't wait till mine arrives.

thanks
barondla

ps How long till there is a K20D book?:D
I already started and as soon as the K20D hits the stores, the book will be out, I hope. Lots more general photography stuff in the upcoming books.

Thanks for asking.

01-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #5

I like the feature that allows you to adjust the autofocus calibration on specific lenses. It would be really useful with my 21mm DA lens. But the same plastic body is a deal breaker for me. If you want to know why, see my posts about cracks on the K10D baseplate. Too bad. Even my Olympus P&S cameras have metal bodies.

Richard
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Reasons not to get the new Pentax K20D. There are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet. (snip)...

I'm simply amazed there are so many posts actually praising a camera few have even held in their hands yet, Yvon. Further, since I don't intend to purchase the K20D, I find efforts such as yours, to define in an absurd manner why one such as myself might make that decision, both somewhat demeaning and belittling. Absolutely none of the reasons you so facetiously provided apply to me and I certainly don't want anyone thinking otherwise.

You went on to conclude with, "stop counting the pixels," "stop comparing images," and "stop reading specifications." In my opinion, only an utter fool would buy a camera without doing each of those, very carefully.

The K20D is a competent camera and I've said nothing whatsoever against it. However, it is not the camera for me. And, again, that decision is not based on any of the preposterous reasons you gave.

stewart
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahh, what the heck.

Reasons not to get the new Pentax K20DThere are so many negative posts that are bashing the new K20D and that even though the camera is not out yet.
Have there been many negative posts? If so, I would blame it on too much hype, because the camera looks fine.

QuoteQuote:
...I listed what innovation the K20D offers and if you don’t like those innovations, the K20D is not for you.
There is that 'innovation' word again...hmmm...where did I see that before?

QuoteQuote:
* If you don’t like a CMOS sensor, which gives the K20D some immunity against noise at higher ISO and also uses less power, giving you about 740 shots per battery charge compared to 500 with the K10D, then don’t buy the K20D.
Canon has had the CMOS sensor since the beginning, so this isn't the Innovation you were talking about. I'm happy that it is providing a lower noise profile (although the K10D sets a low bar to cross) but we're not yet innovating.

QuoteQuote:
* If you don’t like the fact that the K20D is backward compatible with around twenty-four millions lenses sold by Pentax since the beginning of their first single lens reflex camera, then you don’t want the K20D.
Hmmm...this one is tenuous. The 'green button' is an awkward leftover from the original *istD design, which of course originally had no support for K- and M- bayonet lenses. Anyway, since the Olympus 4/3 system really supports all 24 million Pentax lenses, and the EOS system supports almost all of them, this doesn't yet qualify as innovative.

QuoteQuote:
* If you prefer buying a new battery grip designed just for one model, instead of using your Pentax K10D grip on a new K20D, don’t get a K20D.
Hey, this is a nice thought. This isn't innovative except maybe in the DSLR realm - you might be on to something here.

QuoteQuote:
* If you want your RAW files in the manufacturer specified format only and not have the capability of also saving your RAW files in DGN format, which is compatible with all Photoshop products, then the K20D is not for you.
I'm glad Pentax kept it. (Can't really be called innovative, though, since many other cameras have it too.)

QuoteQuote:
* If a 2.7” monitor is too big for you, don’t get the K20D.
Is the innovation here that they can sell cameras with .3" less monitor?

QuoteQuote:
* If you don’t need or will never need a flash sync for studio photography, don’t get the K20D.
Now the age-old PC sync is innovative? Wow.

QuoteQuote:
* If you like to pay between $2,000.00 and $5,000.00 for a DSLR with about the same features as the K20D, but maybe with a smaller 10MP or 12 MP sensors instead of a 14.6 effective MP, you won’t be able to find a K20D at that price. You will have to spend about $1,299.00 U.S. to get a new K20D. If you don’t need digital or real-time preview, with capability of keeping the previewed picture, you don’t need the K20D.
$2k to $5k? Are you comparing it to the 5D and/or D3? If so, we need to talk about pixel pitch and how I honestly believe that a 12MP FF sensor is innovative, while packing more and more pixels into APS-C is not.

QuoteQuote:
* If you don’t want a rugged camera with dust and humidity protection so that you can keep shooting in any weather, the K20D is not for you.
Along with the grip, good for Pentax for keeping this.

QuoteQuote:
* If you don’t want a great dust removal system, which included the only available “Dust Alert” system available today that shows a reverse image where the stubborn dust remains on the sensor, or want to purchase a $109.95 sensor scope to see whatever dust has remained accumulated on the sensor, then you certainly don’t want the K20D as it is the only DSLR that has the “Dust Alert” technology.
"Dust Alert"?!? LOL!

Oh sheesh - you're not kidding.

QuoteQuote:
* If you think that live-view with an available grid display and zoom with AF selection is not useful in some situations like low angle shooting, etc, then maybe you don’t need a K20D.
Whether or not I want/need Live View, it has already been implemented in other DSLRs, so it doesn't qualify as innovation.

QuoteQuote:
* You don’t need focus adjustment for your lenses collection, there is no point to purchase the K20D.
Now this is a good one - does the K20D allow adjustments on a per-lens basis? (Like the 5D MkIII?) If so, I'll grant you that this is innovative in its class.

QuoteQuote:
* If you think that a burst mode of 20 images per second @1.6 MP could be useful in documenting an important event that can easily be transformed into a MPEG or other video format, you don’t need a K20D.
Hmmm...innovative perhaps. Useful, I doubt.

QuoteQuote:
I could go on and on, but you must get the idea by now.
I sure do!

I've seen some glowing reports on how uber-fantastic the K20D is. The first was from a guy selling Pentax cameras, the other was from a guy sponsored by Pentax cameras, and now a guy who makes money selling books about Pentax cameras.

From my side, the best innovation that Pentax unveiled with the K20D is a better marketing strategy. Congratulations Yvon!

01-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Ahh, what the heck.

From my side, the best innovation that Pentax unveiled with the K20D is a better marketing strategy. Congratulations Yvon!
Life is short. Don't take me or yourself too seriously. I just wanted to reverse the usual negative title and negative contents with an apparent negative title with a positive outcome.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #9

When I update my K100D, it will be to a camera with bigger sensor, not smaller
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I'm simply amazed there are so many posts actually praising a camera few have even held in their hands yet, Yvon. Further, since I don't intend to purchase the K20D, I find efforts such as yours, to define in an absurd manner why one such as myself might make that decision, both somewhat demeaning and belittling. Absolutely none of the reasons you so facetiously provided apply to me and I certainly don't want anyone thinking otherwise.

You went on to conclude with, "stop counting the pixels," "stop comparing images," and "stop reading specifications." In my opinion, only an utter fool would buy a camera without doing each of those, very carefully.

The K20D is a competent camera and I've said nothing whatsoever against it. However, it is not the camera for me. And, again, that decision is not based on any of the preposterous reasons you gave.

stewart
Stewart,

You take this too seriously. I never meant to be demeaning or belittling anyone. I thought and still think that my post is actually funny in a way. As for the "stop counting the pixels," "stop comparing images," and "stop reading specifications." my point is only that too many people worry about getting the technically perfect image, one that looks as good enlarged 100 times as if it was at a 1 to 1 ratio. Printed images are usually not looked at with a magnifying glass, but rather from a few feet when framed and on a wall.

As an example in another field, here is one of my past experience. I play guitar and have been playing since I was a young boy. About 10 years ago, computers took over music (Similarly to the photographic world) and digital recording and digital studios started to appear. I built my own studio and started composing and recording music. It was wonderful in that I did not need any other musicians to produce a good CD. Through a MIDI interface, and several sound modules, synthetizers, etc, I was able to record the drums, piano, bass, and other instruments. I could correct mistakes digitally, I was able to change tempo without altering pitch, I was able to enter an instrument digital sound one note at a time. I was spending hours and hours programming the other parts of the music so that I could finally add my part with the guitar. Mind you, my guitar part was analog. After a year of doing that, I realised that I was spending all my time programming the music and less and less time playing guitar, which is what I love the most to begin with. I sold my studio and only kept one eight tracks digital recorder. Now, I play guitar music only, and I am able to include many guitar parts, all really played by me physically, not programmed.

Comparing this to photography would mean to me stopping worrying about all of the technicality of the DSLRS, (I already know that the DSLRS are so much better than my old 35mm or even my medium format camera) and enjoy composing pictures. Photography should be composition, not programming, in my point-of-vue.

Cheers,

Yvon

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 01-29-2008 at 12:46 AM.
01-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #11

Innovative

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Ahh, what the heck.

Have there been many negative posts? If so, I would blame it on too much hype, because the camera looks fine.

There is that 'innovation' word again...hmmm...where did I see that before?

Canon has had the CMOS sensor since the beginning, so this isn't the Innovation you were talking about. I'm happy that it is providing a lower noise profile (although the K10D sets a low bar to cross) but we're not yet innovating.

Hmmm...this one is tenuous. The 'green button' is an awkward leftover from the original *istD design, which of course originally had no support for K- and M- bayonet lenses. Anyway, since the Olympus 4/3 system really supports all 24 million Pentax lenses, and the EOS system supports almost all of them, this doesn't yet qualify as innovative.

Hey, this is a nice thought. This isn't innovative except maybe in the DSLR realm - you might be on to something here.

I'm glad Pentax kept it. (Can't really be called innovative, though, since many other cameras have it too.)

Is the innovation here that they can sell cameras with .3" less monitor?

Now the age-old PC sync is innovative? Wow.

$2k to $5k? Are you comparing it to the 5D and/or D3? If so, we need to talk about pixel pitch and how I honestly believe that a 12MP FF sensor is innovative, while packing more and more pixels into APS-C is not.

Along with the grip, good for Pentax for keeping this.

"Dust Alert"?!? LOL!

Oh sheesh - you're not kidding.

Whether or not I want/need Live View, it has already been implemented in other DSLRs, so it doesn't qualify as innovation.

Now this is a good one - does the K20D allow adjustments on a per-lens basis? (Like the 5D MkIII?) If so, I'll grant you that this is innovative in its class.

Hmmm...innovative perhaps. Useful, I doubt.

I sure do!

I've seen some glowing reports on how uber-fantastic the K20D is. The first was from a guy selling Pentax cameras, the other was from a guy sponsored by Pentax cameras, and now a guy who makes money selling books about Pentax cameras.

I'd say that packing all that into a camera that is only $1,299 is pretty innovative... look what cameras you keep going back to to compare it with!
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I purchased my K10D the moment it became available, because it was a huge step from my istDS in both functionality and IQ.
I honestly don't see all this Bells and Whistles of K20D as a reason to upgrade from my K10D.
With the exception of the sensor, of course, but I will not upgrade for the sensor alone. And BTW we'll have to see how good ISO 3200 and 6400 are in real life.
I am sure k20D is a good camera though, and for people who are still using DS/DL generation it make total sense to upgrade to K20D, it will be a pure joy for them.
As for myself, I will be waiting for new or considerably improved AF system from Pentax, maybe in a year, who knows.
01-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

I think this is a great post and people should lighten up a little.

Not only was it funny. It was informative for those you haven't read everything written about the K20D.
01-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm one of the ones who currently has a DS and wants to upgrade to the K10. Why not the K20? I simply can't afford it. It's good to know that the upgrade will still be such a great step up. I'm definitely looking forward to getting it. The K10 fund is up to just over $400, so I'm anticipating being able to get mine before the end of February.

Heather
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
I'd say that packing all that into a camera that is only $1,299 is pretty innovative... look what cameras you keep going back to to compare it with!
I believe I compared it (favorably) to a K10D. It was Yvon who compared it to '$2,000-$5,000 cameras'. So - no, I don't think the K20D has innovated since the K10D except for those things I pointed out earlier.

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe_M Quote
I think this is a great post and people should lighten up a little.
I think one of the worst attributes of brand-specific forums is the pack animal mentality. If you want to think it was funny, then fine. Not everyone here agrees.

Life is short. Don't take me or yourself too seriously. I just wanted to reverse the usual negative title and negative contents with an apparent negative title with a positive outcome.
I'm bewildered by the accusation that there has been much negative said about the K20D. If so, I haven't read any of it.

I do, however, feel the need to point out that this camera has been over-hyped and is now being over-praised as something other than what it is - namely, a sensible upgrade to the K10D. Don't post a long, somewhat condescending MarketingSpeak thread and expect everyone to love it.