Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what are the fundamental differences between CCD and CMOS sensors?

Please give your point of views on photographing experience with K10 / K200 ( I believe they both share the same CCD sensor, which camera produces better images in your opinion?)
against later CMOS sensors ( K-20,K-7,K-x,K-r,K-5 and K-30)? What are the most noticeable differences?
I started with K-x so have not been exposed to CCD technologies, some people still claim that CCD produces nicer to view images than CMOS.
I am thinking about getting K10 or K200 and do some experiments, including IR, which one would you recommend?
kind regards
jack

08-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ccd's produce less noise than cmos sensors but are no good for video as they overheat more easily. The cmos sensors in the k-5/k-30/k-01 are hands-down better than what was found in older Pentax DSLRs, so I wouldn't worry too much about the theoretical differences between the two sensor types, as newer is better, at least for now
08-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I currently have a K-5 which produces really good images, theres plenty of evidence around the forum to demonstrate how good the sensor is... but I am constantly in a state of wishing I had not sold my K200D. It might "only" have been 10Mp, and it might not have been able to do video (really... that is totally irrelevant to me) and it doesnt have live view or fast AF or even a decent burst mode... but when I look at my older pictures, I find that I like what I produced with that, much better than what I currently produce with the K-5. In my compacts, I have a few xMOS sensor and some CCDs and far and away I prefer the CCD results. I'm starting to wonder if its eye of the beholder (or was that eye of the beerholder) stuff. In any case, I'm contemplating selling my K-5 body and getting a K200D second hand from somewhere. I used the K200D a lot... I just don't take the K-5 out much any more.

In summary... I love the results off a CCD for still photography.

08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you All,
I have K10 coming my way with the lens I wanted to purchase.
I was going to sell it straight away to recover some funds but I might sell something else and keep K10 for a while.
I believe the K10 sensor is the same as K200 although K200 has 2 years younger electronics, kind of similar to K5/K-30 arrangement.
I do prefer in most cases photos and performance from K-30 over K-5 , so probably I should get K200 instead of K10...
any comments??
08-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

As a K200D owner I'm biased, because I love it. But my understanding is that CCD sensors are superior at low ISOs, showing better colour and contrast and more likeable noise patterns. They can't do video, they're worse at high ISOs and they're more expensive to produce etc etc but they have better IQ where it's most important.
08-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
thank you All,

- - - - - -I believe the K10 sensor is the same as K200 although K200 has 2 years younger electronics, kind of similar to K5/K-30 arrangement-- -- -- --

- -- - -- - -- so probably I should get K200 instead of K10...
any comments??
It is true that the K10D and the K200D have the same sensor, but they have different processing engines, so if you shoot JPEG only, you might see a difference. I cannot imagine that there will be much of a difference for those that shoot raw? I other aspects, I should say that the K10D is a more sophisticated camera feature-wise than the K200D.

I have as well the K200D as the K-5 and no doubt, today I prefer the K-5 over the K200D due to the many features of the K-5 plus the excellent ISO handling. But I think that all of us K200D owners are indeed very fond of that camera and very pleased with its image quality at low ISO. I have absolutely no intention to depart with mine!

Hmmm.....one of the next days I shall arrange for a shoot out between my K-5 and my K200D: Same scene, same lens, same (low) ISO, same exposure. And then, we shall see if anyone can tell the difference.........
08-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
thank you All,
I have K10 coming my way with the lens I wanted to purchase.
I was going to sell it straight away to recover some funds but I might sell something else and keep K10 for a while.
I believe the K10 sensor is the same as K200 although K200 has 2 years younger electronics, kind of similar to K5/K-30 arrangement.
My understanding has always been that the K10d sensor is the same as the K200d. I don't think I will ever sell the K10d because of the unique quality of that sensor at ISO 100-200. I have a 40 year old SMC K135/2.5 almost permanently mounted on it, and that lens sings on that sensor like no other combo I have. The quality is hard to describe or reproduce on the web, but I can see it right away on my own screen.

BTW, If you need ISO 400 or 800, I have found that keeping the camera ISO at 200, shooting raw and bumping the exposure up with the raw converter in your computer gives nicer results. Later models have better AF and high ISO, but for what you get for a K10d used, it is hard to think about parting with it. I'm more tempted to score a few more and dedicate each to another favorite older piece of fast glass.

Last edited by GeneV; 08-18-2012 at 06:47 AM.