Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Oceanic!

The following is a collection of my opinions, and experiances. (yes, I have issues with my spelling)

Opinion:

Camera manufactures want you to have "The Fear". The fear that you might need a feature, a meaga pixle more, a higher shutter speed, a better battery.....the list goes on. They want you to be afraid that you might buy a camera that doesn't have that "Feature X" that is a must have. They use this fear to drive your purchase into the next model bracket.

Specification Anxiaty sells.

Step away from the fear, and really consider what you need. Clear your mind of the adds, the spec sheets, the reviews, Rice-Highs's blog...

Really consider what you need. Consider the other stuff in addition to the camera body. Lenses, camera bag, tripod, filters, more lenses, sensor cleaning kit, computer upgrade? New monitor, E-bay finds, more lenses....

Experiance:

I got to the point were my point and shoot was just not cutting it. I wanted to take photos like I used to with my K1000. I noticed prices dropping for DSLR's. Maybe it was time to buy?

I started reading reviews. I memorized spec sheets like my nephews memorize Pokemon cards. I become obsesed. I had "the fear" and didn't even know it. I had no idea of what I even wanted the camera for, but I was convinced that only a N*kon D200 would do. Without the D200, people would mock my e-bay postings. But it was way out of my price range. I would have to settle for the D80...Sigh....

I the middle of all this i had forgotten why I even wanted a camera.

Somehow, in my specification driven dimensia, I went and flipped through my old photo collections. I rembered why I enjoy photography. I remembered that I used a Spotmatic, or my trusty K1000. I pulled my K1000 out of storage. Poor old camera, stuck shutter, never got repaired. This camera has a light meter. Oh, it also lets you adjust the shutter speed, aperture, and focus. Not even a timer. The fear went away...I realised, this was all I needed.

Then I made a list of fetures that I wished the K1000 had. I wished for a mirror lockup. Depth of field preview, and a spot-meter.

Long storry short, after looking at the D40 (no Depth of Field), the C*anon Rebel (no spot meter), I bought a K100D. And I could get on with the enjoyable part of the hoby. Taking photos.

Sure, there are features that I now have on my wish list for the next camera body. Penta-prism viewfinder, on-body controls for ISO, metering, focus points etc (kinda sounding like the K10D).

I expect I'll buy the K20D, just about the time "The Fear" is building for the K30D. Then I'll have that pentaprism viewfinder.

And until then, I'll enjoy my K100D.

Good luck with your purchase. Relax. Breath deep. Focus.

Eric.

01-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Camera manufactures want you to have "The Fear".
This is true for just about anything on sale - especially deodorant!
01-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Just pick the camera that will give you the level of control that you want. I first bought the *ist Ds because I had a SF-1 and a lens to fit (a Tokina 28-70mm AF Macro) it. I really liked by Ds and it served me well and it still serves me will. Now when I go out to shoot and my son comes along - he gets the Ds and I use the K10D. I got the K10D because it gave me more control and simplified control over the photographic process than the Ds.

I am not going to upgrade to the K20D - because the K10D still fills my requirements. If the Ds had the dedicated AF button and the second wheel - then I would not have purchased the K10D.

I - like the other petrified photographers - used to shoot Kodachrome 25, 64 - Ektachrome 160 and later Fujichrome 100. When I first tried Agfachrome 400 - I found out that I did not like it all that much as I had to use f stops that gave me too much DOF (go figure - that is why my co-workers always ask me how I control what is in focus - as compaired to their P&S "everything is in focus"). I do not like to shoot over ISO 800 - most of my stuff is in the 100-200 range. I am very disappointed that the K20D does not go down to ISO 25.

I have used multi shot (fps) sequences two or three times and for me 3 fps is just fine (your mileage will vary). My co-worker who has a C*non 20D and shot images for his daughter's soccer team - he bragged about taking 500 frames - of which 3 were usable. I went showed him my sequence of images I took In NZ of a cricket match - he asked how did I get so many keepers (I know very little about the game but it is cool) it comes down to experience (in how to use the cameras features) I guess - rather that depending on the camera to think for you.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic. A birthday present from Dad, something like 30 years ago. There was practically no control on it, just the shutter and film advance.

That's how I first learnt my photography...composition, exposure...the basic principles haven't changed.

01-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #35
Inactive Account

K10D joy

I have just picked up aK10D for £450 and it is a sheer delight. Stocks are running out so huury upif you are interested in a terrific camera which is a delight to use. The K20D will be twice the price and the K200D will be nowhere near as well specified in user control terms.
01-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #36

Hey Duck,

I remember very well when Ektachrome 160 came out. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Blazing speed, it really expanded the color world. But then I also used my share of Pan-X, Plus-X, and Tri-X. Still have my dad's Weston Master (715) and it still works.

Cheers,

Phil
01-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Wait, what? What camera are you talking about?
ACP - Zenit-E
01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Very cool. I once had an Aires Penta-35...it's selenium meter quit working in the sixties...

(I was able to fix my Norwood Colormatic, though!)

Attached Images

01-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I doubt any other camera beats the character of the Zenit E. I've never oiled it, or had any maintenance work done to it. I can nail hammers in very easily with its diecast aluminium body, I can drop it 10 feet over and over again and it'll still work (proven, I'm afraid).
The only thing I have to do is compensate 1 stop, because of the old selenium meter. And the images often come out better exposed than when I'm using Prakticas with TTL metering.
Add to that the smell of the leather never-ready case, and I'm sold. I know I'll never sell my Zenit ever.

(pity it only has 5 shutter speeds + B)

So as not to be completely OT, I believe older cameras are a lot better made, a lot sturdier, and a lot better to work with.
Ansel Adams never had 5 FPS or AE or fast AF (or any AF at all), but that didn't stop him from being a great photographer.

It's not the camera which takes the pictures, it's the person behind it. Get over it. Stop complaining. If you think 5 fps is so important, buy a Canikolympusony.