Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
I realize this. It's just I was looking back to the photos from the wedding I assisted with and I just feel some disappointment over some of them, where i I felt like what if I had a better lens here? Having 2 bodies won't mean anything if the photos look like crap will it? I have no intention of shooting a wedding by myself right now fwiw. I want to do more shoots as a 2nd shooter before that would happen. That being said, I supposed I could just say eff it, and get everything I want now at once and be done with it edit: actually that's what i think i am going to do! thanks for helping me decide./
If you are not satisfied with some of the pictures taken, this is one more reason why you should have another lens that covers the medium long focal range. Probaly your 50-200 is not sufficient (though a a decent lens). Next steps could be the 18-135 or 55-300. But they are quite different in the focal range covered. As for the short / medium range the 18-55 and the 35 f2.4 could be enough.

08-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I will be rather blunt to the point of impolite so excuse me since I am trying to give more realistic advice about what would work well or best, not to be confused with what some people get away with using or what worked best years ago.

The KX is backup camera quality to a wedding photographer at best due to its lack of fast controls like a front dial among other things. Due to the confused lighting in a ceremony and the need to tightly control depth of field a GOOD wedding photographer would shoot the whole wedding on M and control the aperture and shutter with front and rear dials.
The lenses all need to go, the M's don't talk to the camera so you can't make the fast adjustments necessary in an ongoing ceremony and the zooms are all the cheap stuff in both image quality and aperture, especially since all are variable aperture and painfully slow on the telephoto end.

You get one shot at everything in a wedding so having top gear isn't just to impress people. A pair of K5's would do nicely due to its extra controls and good high ISO which is damn near critical in a situation where you may have crap lighting and want to use minimal or no flash (like an old church during a wedding). I would suggest waiting until the K5 successor comes out and buying used unless you want to spend the extra to get the replacement itself for its supposedly improved AF (also critical). The K30 is a good argument though as it has most everything the K5 does unlike the previous 2nd rate camera lines (and possibly improved AF I hear 1st hand) and the price is quite reasonable. You could also buy one of the few remaining K5's new at a discount and keep the KX as purely a backup until you can afford more.

For lenses you need to be looking at the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 with fixed 2.8 aperture and the DA* 60-250 F4 for when you get stuck in the bleachers. With a tiny crop sensor you won't need to go much farther than 250mm unless you want to take a picture of just their face from across the church or do a portrait from across the street. They also have the quality to allow easier cropping while still keeping the image quality up.

If its any consolation if I were going into paid wedding photography I would also have to start by throwing away everything I have and dropping $4000 or so on new stuff (though I would likely jump ship for a FF camera).

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 08-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
08-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm more or less with PPPPPP42.
Just trying to be diplomatic in my earlier post
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

That's why I was saying the K5. To tell the truth a K5 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 could be had from the used market for under $1,000 if you look hard enough, and it would make a hell of a kit for a wedding I would think.

08-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Due to the confused lighting in a ceremony and the need to tightly control depth of field a GOOD wedding photographer would shoot the whole wedding on M and control the aperture and shutter with front and rear dials.
The lenses all need to go, the M's don't talk to the camera so you can't make the fast adjustments necessary in an ongoing ceremony and the zooms are all the cheap stuff in both image quality and aperture, especially since all are variable aperture and painfully slow on the telephoto end.
You seem a little muddled here. You're saying to shoot in Manual, but then say Auto lenses are needed? Why, if you're shooting in manual?

I don't see a problem with a slow variable aperture lens. A P-TTL flash will make up for that, and the primes can be used when flash can't.

I agree with you that the DA* zooms are the way to go, but what the OP has can do the job for now. Most everyone agrees, as do you, that a body is the main priority.
08-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Shoot manual with A lens or newer so you can control the aperture and shutter speed with front and rear dials and have the camera meter normally. For the reception flash would be OK but I consider any flash that can be avoided during the actual ceremony to be critical as it is a rather obnoxious distraction to all involved, assuming its allowed at all.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 08-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.
08-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Shoot manual with A lens or newer so you can control the aperture and shutter speed with front and rear dials and have the camera meter normally. For the reception flash would be OK but I consider any flash that can be avoided during the actual ceremony to be critical as it is a rather obnoxious distraction to all involved, assuming its allowed at all.
The only difference between shooting a A lens and a fully manual lens is that with the manual lens, you need to meter with the Green button. In either case, you control the aperture and shutter speed, with front and rear dials on a K-30, or with the front dial and an extra push on a K-x. The lighting during the ceremony will remain constant, so you do not need to meter every shot. I'm sure the OP knows this, as she(?) is shooting with M lenses.
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #23

Original Poster
Okay, i did it. I bought the body, and it's a white k30 and it will be here tomorrow! Still thinking about getting another lens though. Thanks again everyone! I'm so excited!

08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Everyone who has gotten one so far has been pretty thrilled with it, congratulations on your new camera, er, stormtrooper.
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

most of the time i would say the lens, but if you are going to do events you need 2 bodies. a second used kx though would be sufficient (and have the advantage of operating in exactly the same fashion so swapping between bodies is mindless)
at some point though 2-3 good zooms will be needed (a wide zoom like the 10-20 (or say a DA14 or DA15 instead) a normal fast zoom like the tamron 28-70 2.8 and a longer zoom if you cover evens that need the reach (like a 70-200 2.8) a fast 50-55 is very useful for portraits, you can live with the manual primes you have for a while but at some point an AF like the da55 will just make life much simpler for fast paced events where you can't afford to miss a shot. you could also go the apsc zoom road with a 17-50 (Tamron or Sigma) 2.8 and a 50-135 2.8 (Pentax or Sigma) and leave the ultra wide for later
As mentioned a good reliable flash is also needed. the metz line i think is better than the current Pentax line dollar for dollar. That may change in September though because the rumor is the Pentax line is being updated
08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

saw you got the k30 after i posted. for a new lens you might want to watch the link in this thread. apparently refurb 50-135 sigmas keep popping up at the sigma store and the price is excellent

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-sig...ml#post2068431
08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #27

Original Poster
er, stormtrooper.

lol don't ruin it for me!!
08-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Actually the stormtrooper is the one I would prefer if it were offered in other models, its amazingly cooler in the sun than the black ones and EVERYBODY stops to look at them.
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Some wedding photographers shoot almost exclusively with primes. This is partly to differentiate themselves - especially with faster lenses and nicer backgrounds/better subject isolation. As a second shooter you can certainly afford to take the "risk" of using this approach, and it may even accelerate your career in photography.

If you don't go with primes here, you can often shoot an entire event with a DA*50-135. Set the aperture at f/3.2 or f/3.5. Although you'll miss some shots, you'll hit many, which will be a lot more interesting than the guy who shoots at f/5.6 or f/8.

And a 200mm prime nearly guarantees you'll get some interesting shots at fast apertures.

I'm guessing that your lenses and/or aperture is the reason you don't like many of your shots, especially since you expressed enthusiasm for your DA35. Quality lenses are good stopped down only 1/3 or 2/3 stops; cheap lenses generally start slower and need even more stopping down beyond that! Your DA35/2.4 doesn't need to be stopped down at all, since it originally was an f/2 lens (FA35/2). Top lenses like the DA*55, FA77, or FA31 are so good in their original design that they often don't need to be stopped down at all.

Last edited by DSims; 08-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
08-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Looking again at your lens list, only the DA35/2.4 and M50/1.7 (plus M50/2.8 macro for details) will get you where you want to go. You have nothing higher quality over 50mm (Sigma 28-105 is good at f/5.6, according to many reviewers - not a sign of a top lens). I think you should first pick a lens (or very similar one) from the following list, and keep it on one of your bodies:

DA*50-135, FA77, A or M100/2.8 (non-macro), K135/2.5, K200/2.5.

Next, you'll probably feel better when you have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 or DA*16-50/2.8 (or it's upcoming successor - don't know how far off it is). Be prepared to replace either one in the future, but both are good enough to get you awfully close to the ideal for this entire zoom range. Put it on the other camera body. Believe me, there are way too many primes in this focal length range, all of which are slightly better than these zooms. But get one of these lenses, and then you can relax and take your time purchasing primes here, because you'll already have something that's "good enough" (even if only barely) and you won't have to scramble to fill in all the focal lengths. While I personally prefer the DA*16-50, I think the Tamron 17-50 plus a longer lens would be a higher priority. Since you have 2 bodies now, don't bother with the Tamron 28-75. You currently have no high quality lens in the 17-34mm range, and you need to.

So, yes, you should just go for it. Just the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and one of the 100 or 135mm primes will be good enough. It will do a nice job right now, and once you start using them it will also become clear where you might want to go from here. Do just a little more research and then pick two. You need to get your hands on them and use them - remember, you can sell what you don't like. Keep your kit lenses and/or Sigma as a backup for now while you go through this process. It needn't be a never-ending process as some would have you believe - you can settle down and only periodically replace or upgrade, as with automobiles. You can decide when you're at that point.