Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
If its any consolation if I were going into paid wedding photography I would also have to start by throwing away everything I have and dropping $4000 or so on new stuff (though I would likely jump ship for a FF camera).
And then spending $6000, and ending up having only one body and 2 standard fast zooms, plus some really cheap 50mm prime. No extra wide, no fisheye, no macro, no over 200mm, no fast primes - basically, no anything that makes photography fun or creative (which brides appreciate too)!

And then you realize how irresponsible you are not having a second body, so you get one. Finally, $8000 in, you say to yourself "I'm so glad I went with Canikon, because they have these amazing options: ultra-macro, tilt-shift, f/1.2 normal to portrait, f/1.4 wide, and f/2 long lenses. Gee, which one can I afford? I'll only be up to $10,000! And I'm so happy just knowing those other lenses are out there. I could use a few of them, and someday I'll get some - they're only about $2000 each!"

By the way PPPPPP42, I'm impressed with your lineup. You've done a very good job of putting together inexpensive, high-quality lenses in your kit!

Last edited by DSims; 08-21-2012 at 04:49 PM.
08-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I rather dislike AF and I wanted one set that also covers my film cameras, so the A lenses which is what I started with in film is the only option for me. They are slower than some of the new stuff even with the better fixed aperture ones I have, and most tend towards the slightly too long side because they were designed for a FF format. I have every A series zoom worth buying but I am still planning on a few more fast primes for specialty situations but the prices on A primes (especially the fast ones) are through the freaking roof.
I will be one of the first in line for the Pentax FF simply because all my lenses are ideal for it and it would eliminate the need for the more rare and expensive wide primes while instantly completing my lineup. It would also have at least as good if not better high ISO capability than the K5 which would be great since I find myself frequently dipping into the 800 ISO range to get the aperture I am looking for in the evenings or indoors. Luckily the K20D can do 400 ISO well, 800 is pushing it if you want super quality and 1600 needs PP desperately. If a used K5 comes along from people dumping it for "focus issues" when the replacement comes out you can be sure I will snap it up for the ISO boost until I can afford the FF.

Honestly though if I was just starting out and was super serious about pro photography and wanted to stay Pentax it would be the K5 replacement with those 3 DA* zooms I mentioned, that's all the lenses you'd ever need for a wedding and most photography in general which would make the cost well worth it. Consider it like buying a work vehicle or something.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 08-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.
08-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be one of the first in line for the Pentax FF simply because all my lenses are ideal for it and it would eliminate the need for the more rare and expensive wide primes while instantly completing my lineup.
Makes sense. Too bad the rapidly depreciating body will cost so much more than the lenses, though. But it should work well.

Honestly though if I was just starting out and was super serious about pro photography and wanted to stay Pentax it would be the K5 replacement with those 3 DA* zooms I mentioned, that's all the lenses you'd ever need for a wedding and most photography in general which would make the cost well worth it. Consider it like buying a work vehicle or something.
Yes, the DA*16-50 and 50-135 are really great zooms. Combined with the K-30 (or even the K-x) I think it's the best value in photography. However, when I tried the DA*60-250/4 in the store, I was disappointed. I thought my F70-210/4-5.6 was almost as good (although clearly slower). I ended up with a K200/2.5 and F300/4.5 instead - much better for me (as would be the DA*200 and 300, or even one of them alone, in my estimation). So while these are fantastic zooms, there's still much more you can do with primes in the 15-135mm range. If I'd gone with Canon or Nikon for the same money, I wouldn't even be close to having the complete set I have now.

jennverr, let us know how you like your K-30! If you get a couple of good lenses, I guarantee you won't be sitting around saying "gee, that photo would be so much better if I hadn't been using the K-x!" However, that doesn't mean the K-30 isn't worth it - right now I wish I had one myself (but I'll have to wait for whatever else comes out in the next 9 months).