Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
body upgrade or lens?

I know this question is asked often but I am going to ask myself as well.

I have a Kx and the following lenses:
- 18-55 kit
-50-200 kit
35, 2.4
M 50 1.7
M 50, 2.8 macro
sigma 28-105, 2.8

I'd love to upgrade to a k30 (and then also have 2 bodies including current kx since I want to try to do more events/weddings, etc). or maybe lens would be a better purchase (something like 17-70, or 28-75 perhaps or a FA or DA 50?)

thoughts?

08-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
These are really two different approaches-- you could get a second body so that you have more flexibility in shooting weddings/events, or you could get a lens that expands your current camera's abilities-- (1) an ultrawide angle lens (DA 15, Sigma 10-20, DA 10-17, etc.), (2) a telephoto 55-300, (3) portrait lens like DA 70, FA 77, 28-75, (4) all-in-one travel zoom (18-135, 18-250), (5) a better short zoom lens (17-70 or 17-50 f/2.8). Since you already have two M 50s, I'd say you have the 50mm range covered unless you really want AF. What do you think you want more? An extra body to use your existing lenses with, or new lenses to shoot with?
08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Reposaari
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 25
If you're into events/weddings photography your kit seems ok. Any additional body (like a secondary Kx) will do just fine, don't overdo it with the newest ones (unless you have the extra cash).

In my opinion you need two zoom lenses, preferrably on two bodies, to have the flexibility needed in changing situations such as weddings and events. One zoom for wide angle, another for tele shoots.
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by jmarkku Quote
If you're into events/weddings photography your kit seems ok. Any additional body (like a secondary Kx) will do just fine, don't overdo it with the newest ones (unless you have the extra cash).

In my opinion you need two zoom lenses, preferrably on two bodies, to have the flexibility needed in changing situations such as weddings and events. One zoom for wide angle, another for tele shoots.
Agreed.

I usually say to get the lenses first. But if you're getting more serious about doing weddings and events, you must get a second body before your next one. Since it's a one-time event, you have to have a backup in case one breaks. You can actually get sued if you don't.


jmarkku is right - put a different lens on each camera, and use them both - for example, two different zooms, or one prime and one zoom. Then assume you drop one and break both the camera and lens (it really happens, and far too often). Make sure you still have a camera and lens that will get you through the rest of the event. As long as you always have your 3 zooms with you, you'll be covered.

You should take one or two classes on wedding photography. They usually cover both this and the need for insurance, as well as many other great tips.


Don't fuss about which body you get - another K-x will be fine. Remember that bodies depreciate, but lenses generally do not - especially if you buy used. Once you've got a second body, make sure you have a proper flash system. Then worry about upgrades.


Last edited by DSims; 08-14-2012 at 03:11 PM.
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,074
Agreed with the "second body".
It's always a dilemma choosing one over the other on a budget, but a second body is a wise choice, especially for what you need it for.
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,419
At the price of the K5 right now I'd go second body and grab one! Of course then you might do like me and neglect your poor Kx....
08-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
You need a second body if you are going to shoot weddings....but you are also going to need some additional lenses. You have to have something wide and fast. Same with something long. I would get a lens, do some second shooting and wait until the k30 isn't the only dslr Pentax is producing (better pricing when it isn't), then buy another camera, and then another lens. Welcome to the never ending LBA/CBA game.

Last edited by Allison; 08-14-2012 at 05:52 PM.
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
rbefly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,030
More Stuff, But Which Stuff?

Hi Jennverr,
Yes, another body is absolutely necessary for weddings. Along with that (and it doesn't have to be the latest version, another KX or KR would be fine) I'd look for a wider prime and a short tele prime, both f/2.8 or faster.
The rest of your kit is great, useful zooms and the 35 f/2.4 (GREAT lens!) and the 50's.
You'll also need a couple of flashes. The church may (usually) ban flash, but at the reception and other venues they'll be needed. Don't skimp on the power (guide #), remember you can always turn it down, but max power means just that. Ain't no more.
Another suggestion, this is becoming popular, shooting a roll or two of B + W FILM (yes, that stuff!) at weddings and other social events. For the price of a used AF film body that works with your existing lenses (Ahem...Pentax, of course) you can offer a service that others don't. Just an idea to toss around.
Good Luck!
Ron

08-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Welcome to the never ending LBA/CBA game.
Amen to that!
08-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
Thanks everyone I am going to start with the lens... and wait till the k30 goes down. I don't have any gigs lined up (yet), and if I do, I can borrow my friend's k10d again for a second body. i just keep having dreams about the k30. i don't know why i can't stop obsessing over it haha!

so now, the question is
17-70, or 28-75?
this is always so hard for me. i spend HOURS looking at lenses, and reading reviews, looking at samples, etc. I just can't make decisions.
i like the range better on the 17-70 but am reading much better reviews of the others.
i think i eventually would like an AF 50, but I can wait on that. yea sometimes i just don't trust my bad eyes.
i love my 35 very much, so i'm glad i have that.
i am also going to look into another flash, probably the metz af50. going to try out my friend's to see how i like it.

oooh new stuff!
08-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,688
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Thanks everyone I am going to start with the lens
Interesting. Six people gave advice above, all of whom advised to get a second body. Not one poster suggested you need another lens. It's almost like you don't need any advice, except that now you're asking about two lenses that have very different purposes, which indicates to me that you don't really know.

I agree with the six posters above, you need a second body to shoot a wedding. You should not rely on borrowing someone else's gear. What if he's away, needs his camera on the day, or it's broken, or he simply doesn't want to lend it again? If you have any intention of shooting even one wedding, the responsible way to proceed is to buy the second body. After you shoot a wedding or three, you will have a much clearer idea of whether you need to add something else. IMO, lenses are lower in priority than the body, flash and off-camera lighting gear (light stand, umbrella, reflectors).

QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
i am also going to look into another flash, probably the metz af50. going to try out my friend's to see how i like it.
Which flash do you have now?

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-18-2012 at 07:25 AM.
08-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,731
What are you thinking? Just buy the K-30! A spare/second body is essential for event photography.
Lenses can wait. The ones you are looking at do not really add to your current kit.
Once you have made a pile of cash from future weddings, splash out and get some high quality fast zooms in the 16/17-50 and 50/70-135/200 range and there'll be no stopping you.
08-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Interesting. Six people gave advice above, all of whom advised to get a second body. Not one poster suggested you need another lens. It's almost like you don't need any advice, except that now you're asking about two lenses that have very different purposes, which indicates to me that you don't really know.

I agree with the six posters above, you need a second body to shoot a wedding. You should not rely on borrowing someone else's gear. What if he's away, needs his camera on the day, or it's broken, or he simply doesn't want to lend it again? If you have any intention of shooting even one wedding, the responsible way to proceed is to buy the second body. After you shoot a wedding or three, you will have a much clearer idea of whether you need to add something else. IMO, lenses are lower in priority than the body, flash and off-camera lighting gear (light stand, umbrella, reflectors).

I realize this. It's just I was looking back to the photos from the wedding I assisted with and I just feel some disappointment over some of them, where i I felt like what if I had a better lens here? Having 2 bodies won't mean anything if the photos look like crap will it? I have no intention of shooting a wedding by myself right now fwiw. I want to do more shoots as a 2nd shooter before that would happen. That being said, I supposed I could just say eff it, and get everything I want now at once and be done with it edit: actually that's what i think i am going to do! thanks for helping me decide./

Last edited by jennverr; 08-18-2012 at 08:18 AM.
08-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,688
QuoteOriginally posted by jennverr Quote
Having 2 bodies won't mean anything if the photos look like crap will it? I have no intention of shooting a wedding by myself right now fwiw. I want to do more shoots as a 2nd shooter before that would happen.
Even a second shooter needs a backup body in case of failure and to minimize lens changes. If your photos look like crap, you need to work on technique. The lenses you have now are up to the task in the right hands.

You haven't mentioned your flash?
08-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: washington, dc
Posts: 224
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Even a second shooter needs a backup body in case of failure and to minimize lens changes. If your photos look like crap, you need to work on technique. The lenses you have now are up to the task in the right hands.

You haven't mentioned your flash?
I have a Nikon sb24, and thinking about getting a Metz. Going to try out a friend's first.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, kit, kx, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which weather sealed body to which to upgrade? Nick Siebers Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 11-22-2010 09:34 PM
upgrade path: new lens or new body? tom_charnock Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 07-01-2010 10:25 AM
Next Upgrade, Body or Lens, advice jqjones Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 04-27-2010 09:20 AM
new lenses or upgrade body cinaibur Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 34 08-01-2009 10:26 AM
Should I upgrade now my K200 body? Enc0der Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 03-13-2009 09:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top