Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does any insurance company offer standalone camera gear coverage?

Hey all.

My insurance company doesn't cover accidental camera gear damage unless it's caused by flood or explosion. I'm looking for coverage that covers everything on my gear. Accidental damage, theft, you-name-it.

Is there a company that offers standalone insurance that does this?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

08-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've let it lapse but I had a separate rider on my house insurance through State farm (really should update the list and renew it). Insured for replacement value and covered almost all issues. For many items the deductible means you won't claim anyway. You could of course pay for a lower deductible
08-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ninja'd ^ ...What he said!

I don't have one myself, but I have Liberty Mutual and we discussed having a rider specifically for camera gear. I think it was about $80-100/year, and that is with 2 cars and home insurance with them as well. I decided against it, as I don't necessarily carry that much gear at one time to make it worthwhile. If you ended up making a claim, the deductible will likely be around $500 (you can pay for a cheaper one, or pay less for a higher deductible), and then the premium would go up. If your stuff is stolen from home or vehicle you're covered (under those policies), so it doesn't leave much room for theft anyway, as those are the most likely places for theft to occur.
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If your stuff is strictly personal, i.e. you don't make money from photography and you don't write-off equipment on your taxes, you can usually get a rider or a personal articles addition to your regular home insurance or renters insurance. If photography is a business, you need a policy specifically for photo equipment which is available from some specialty places or through a trade association, or you can get an inland marine policy from your usual insurance company.

08-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
i.e. you don't make money from photography and you don't write-off equipment on your taxes

Quite correct. Most people never bother to read the contract before signing their name onto it, but... If one tries to get a non-business related policy and later cash in on it... That would be insurance fraud, and also evn the Internal Revenue Serive would pick up on it. Would they (the IRS) act on it??
08-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're shooting professionally, then you can get separate policies that cover theft as well as liability for shooting events, weddings, and so forth. These usually run about $500/yr.
08-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My USAA homeowners insurance has a personal property rider for my camera equipment. I can add individual items (with a value >= $100) to it and pay a premium based on the total value. All perils are covered and there is no deductible. I don't know if you can get one without homeowners or rental insurance (which you absolutely should have anyway).

08-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

First off, read your policy. If your camera isn't specifically excluded, it's covered. If it is excluded and your insurance company is unwilling to write an affordable rider, switch companies.

The possibility of loss through theft was a great concern for me when we went to the British Isles, so after reading my policy, I contacted my insurance company. The first response I received was my camera equipment wasn't covered under the provision of 'electronic equipment such as cell phones'. When I pointed out they're interpretation was incorrect and asked for a supervisor, I experienced a back flip in which they stated they were wrong and it was covered up to the amount of my theft insurance (which far exceeds all of my equipment put together). Not 100% convinced another flip might come about if I had to file a claim, I asked for and received an email stating confirmation of coverage.
08-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
First off, read your policy. If your camera isn't specifically excluded, it's covered. If it is excluded and your insurance company is unwilling to write an affordable rider, switch companies.
After reading the separate policy they sent me for the camera gear, I'm wondering if there's much sense in bothering with it. It only covers breakage if it's caused by fire, lightning, explosion, windstorm, earthquake, car collision or attempted theft/vandalism. It doesn't say anything specifically about theft, either.

What I want is insurance that will cover virtually everything. Like if I slip & fall down on the camera, or the strap breaks, etc. I don't know if such a thing exists, though.
08-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
After reading the separate policy they sent me for the camera gear, I'm wondering if there's much sense in bothering with it. It only covers breakage if it's caused by fire, lightning, explosion, windstorm, earthquake, car collision or attempted theft/vandalism. It doesn't say anything specifically about theft, either.

What I want is insurance that will cover virtually everything. Like if I slip & fall down on the camera, or the strap breaks, etc. I don't know if such a thing exists, though.
You might try here: Worth Ave Group | Camera Insurance

The problem with most camera specific insurances I see is they are geared (and priced) towards the professional photographer.
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You might try here: Worth Ave Group | Camera Insurance
Thanks. I'll check with them. - Bob :-)