Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #1

Is there a way for windows to show PEF thumbnails?

I have tried downloading the RAW patch but it wont show my PEF thumbnails...any solutions?

01-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

At Microsoft Professional Photography you can download the Pentax codecs required to view PEF files:

Microsoft Professional Photography
01-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
I love this forum...quick answers all the time.... thanks!
It says Vista only..is that right?

Last edited by shaolin95; 01-29-2008 at 11:32 AM.
01-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by polvda Quote
At Microsoft Professional Photography you can download the Pentax codecs required to view PEF files:

Microsoft Professional Photography
Here is a direct link to the download that you use for installing the codec in Vista.

01-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin95 Quote
I love this forum...quick answers all the time.... thanks!
It says Vista only..is that right?
I haven't tried it on anything else, but I'm guessing it only works with Vista, since that is what it says.
01-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, how does one do this in Windows XP? I am not interested in installing a whole new inferior OS just to view thumbnails!

Actually, I'll ask in the correct forum. ;-)
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolin95 Quote
I have tried downloading the RAW patch but it wont show my PEF thumbnails...any solutions?
In Windows XP SP2, I use the freeware utility you can download here:

Welcome to Digital Picture Magic

Will

01-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So, how does one do this in Windows XP? I am not interested in installing a whole new inferior OS just to view thumbnails!

If you are watching this thread still, it's worth thinking about using Picasa (free download). It serves to download files from camera to PC, offers basic (but surprisingly effective) PP facilities (on a non-destructive basis) and acts as a reasonably proficient photo manager.
01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Inferior OS? I use XP pro at work, and Vista on my home machines. As a result of my constant flip flopping, I find myself seeking out software downloads to grant my XP features from Vista which are already built in.

But anyways... I don't recommend using a shell add-on to general native previews. I run the PEF codec released from Pentax on my Vista machines. The thumbs generate fine, but loading it up in Windows Photo Gallery is slow (even on my 3.3ghz Core2Duo machine)

Adobe Bridge allows me to work with my RAW files a lot faster.
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #10

It depends on the camera.
Some of the codecs are Vista only and some include XP.
01-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just download Picassa. It's free and will organize thumbnails as well as display all RAW photos in sequence along with jpeg. Download takes a few seconds... no muss, no fuss.

Jason
01-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
In Windows XP SP2, I use the freeware utility you can download here:

Welcome to Digital Picture Magic
Thanks Will! The community version of dpMagic does indeed allow thumbnail viewing of PEFs in Explorer. And that's all I need, since I already have Raw Therapee associated with the file extension as my first port of call.
01-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

The Pentax codex will only work on Vista - it does not work on XP. Windows XP does not use WIC (Window Imaging Component) since it was release in the late summer of 2006 just before Vista's release.

The MS Camera RAW viewer - which is no longer supported or upgraded by MS - never did support Pentax. There are multiple 3rd party add ons that will allow you to view Pentax RAW files - but they do not natively allow you to see thumbnails in explorer - or at least nothing has worked on my XP laptop since 2005. Now with XP service pack 3 (not released yet) WIC just might get support, but since I am running Vista on my main box - I just do not care.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks Will! The community version of dpMagic does indeed allow thumbnail viewing of PEFs in Explorer. And that's all I need, since I already have Raw Therapee associated with the file extension as my first port of call.
Thanks for the tip on dpMagic, I installed the Community version and works like a charm! I've been wanting Explorer thumbnails for quite some time now.

- Andrew
01-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
Thanks for the tip on dpMagic, I installed the Community version and works like a charm! I've been wanting Explorer thumbnails for quite some time now.
Andrew & rparmar: Glad dpMagic works for you.

To pass the credit where it's due, I am pretty sure I got the idea from my fellow Texan Roy, about a year ago in another thread in this forum.

Will