Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why any one would carry bodies from two manufacturers.

I can't believe it is a weight issue, because to carry lenses for two manufacturers will outweigh any slight gain in bodies.

Note the following, weights without batteries

EV 510 470g, 136 x 92 x 68 (mm)
K10D 710g, 142 x 101 x 70 (mm)
K100/110 560g, 130 x 93 x 70 (mm)
*istD 550g, 129 x 94 x 60 (mm)
*istDS/DS2 505g, 129 x 93 x 66 (mm)
*istDL /DL2 470g, 125 x 93 x 67 (mm)

To have a second pentax body with shake reduction you will only add 90 grams (3 ounces) over the Olympus. go without shake reductionand an *istDL or DL2 is the same weight.

In addition withy the 4/3 sensor the crop factor is 2:1 and therefore it needs very special wide angle lenses to get the same field of view.

To me this makes absolutely NO sense

01-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can't believe it is a weight issue, because to carry lenses for two manufacturers will outweigh any slight gain in bodies.
I believe the OP is planning to adapt his existing Pentax lenses to the Oly mount, not carry two sets of lenses.

That being said, a second *ist or K100 body makes more sense to me.
01-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I believe the OP is planning to adapt his existing Pentax lenses to the Oly mount, not carry two sets of lenses.
If so, I am not sure he understands the difference with the formats and crop factors, he won't be able to go as wide with the e-510. their 7-14mm costs $1500 (equal field of view to the sigma 10-20)

the only lenses he can use are screw mounts, not K mounts, and if he is that worried about money, he is looking the wrong direction.
01-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To me this makes absolutely NO sense
Hi Lowell,

The only way this would work is if my Pentax glass will work on the E-510. Some of the reasons I'm thinking about the E-510 are it has shake reduction, live view, and a 2 to 1 crop factor. None of the smaller Pentax models have all of these things. At $488 it is no more than buying a new lens and it increases my choices of FOV significantly.

For traveling a smaller body than my K10D would be nice. I just came back from a sales meeting where Live view would have been nice to have. I know this isn't a standard solution but I've always thought of Pentax owners as a group willing to think "Outside the Box".

Regards,

Ken

01-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote

Here is a link tu the forum page about this "magic" ring (in Russian, has a lot of pictures so you will see how it looks like) - переходник "any lens" to OLYMPUS 4/3 (XXX-4/3) с одуванчиком - 1200руб :: Форум :: Клуб Foto.ru
Thanks for the link!! This might be what I'm looking for. This link takes you to an English translation on how it works. The price is $45. I need to do more research before I try this.

Thanks,

Ken
01-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hi Lowell,

The only way this would work is if my Pentax glass will work on the E-510. Some of the reasons I'm thinking about the E-510 are it has shake reduction, live view, and a 2 to 1 crop factor. None of the smaller Pentax models have all of these things. At $488 it is no more than buying a new lens and it increases my choices of FOV significantly.

For traveling a smaller body than my K10D would be nice. I just came back from a sales meeting where Live view would have been nice to have. I know this isn't a standard solution but I've always thought of Pentax owners as a group willing to think "Outside the Box".

Regards,

Ken
except for live view, which I think is more to appease the P&S market, since making focus decisions on it are dangerous at best, I would go for a K100D or K100Dsuper. Look at the sizes etc.

The 2-1 crop factor reduces your field of view, i.e. it makes things longer not wider, and as a result, for travel, where I find shorter lenses are better, you seem to be going the wrong way.

If you really want a travel camera, small compact, live preview etc, I would not use an SLR at all. Go for an EV camera. I have a Kodak 7590. which has a relitively fast f3.2 lens 10-1 zoom ratio and 38-380mm effective focal length. Major weaknesses are no SR and not wide enough, emphesis on wide. There is a more recient modle with a 24-150mm zoom and SR which would be perfect.
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster

If you really want a travel camera, small compact, live preview etc, I would not use an SLR at all. Go for an EV camera. I have a Kodak 7590. which has a relitively fast f3.2 lens 10-1 zoom ratio and 38-380mm effective focal length. Major weaknesses are no SR and not wide enough, emphesis on wide. There is a more recient modle with a 24-150mm zoom and SR which would be perfect.
The quality I'd get out of the E-510 along with my Pentax M 28mm lens will be much better than any P & S. I'm not into wide angle so the 28 gives me a FOV of 56mm and that, for me, is ideal. If I want low light I can use my A 50mm f 1.7, Can't get that from a P & S.
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter

The E510 is about same the size as a K100D. Don't forget you are adding a spacer to Oly to get infinity focus right. For size the Oly to get would be the E410. Much smaller than E510 but you lose IS.
thanks
barondla

01-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The E510 is about same the size as a K100D. Don't forget you are adding a spacer to Oly to get infinity focus right. For size the Oly to get would be the E410. Much smaller than E510 but you lose IS.
thanks
barondla
I would hate to lose SR but the size might be worth it. It's an option I'm looking at.

Thanks,
Ken
01-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi again Ken

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
I've always thought of Pentax owners as a group willing to think "Outside the Box".
I'd like to assure you that it was not my intention to dissuade you from considering the E-510, but merely to try and point out some of the serious downsides of doing so from the perspective of a Pentax user ! If you had made your point earlier that:

QuoteQuote:
I'm not into wide angle
....the responses you received might possibly have taken on a slightly different complexion ! The 2x magnification factor of the E-510 would undoubtedly appeal to long-distance telephoto photographers, but I still can't help thinking that either the K100D super or the forthcoming K200D would hold more attraction for you ? Just think about it for a moment: you'd have all the benefits of the K100D super but with the addition of a 10MP sensor and the brilliant Sv mode, topped off by full weather-sealing similar to the K10D. What more could you ask for ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.
01-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi again Ken

....the responses you received might possibly have taken on a slightly different complexion ! The 2x magnification factor of the E-510 would undoubtedly appeal to long-distance telephoto photographers, but I still can't help thinking that either the K100D super or the forthcoming K200D would hold more attraction for you ? Just think about it for a moment: you'd have all the benefits of the K100D super but with the addition of a 10MP sensor and the brilliant Sv mode, topped off by full weather-sealing similar to the K10D. What more could you ask for ?

Best regards
Richard
Hi Richard,

What more could I want? Well, Live view, smaller body, less noisy shutter and in the case of the K200D a lot less money. Matching the E-510 with my M 28mm gives me a FOV of 56mm which is just about right for me. The adapter and body would cost me $530. I'm looking at it as a high IQ P & S setup. The more I think about the E410 is of interest. Smaller and cheaper yet. I'd hate to lose SR but the size might be worth it.
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Regards,

Ken
Yup, I think that's the appeal of the E-410/510 for those who do bought one - as a pretty good travel camera. I tried one myself (E-510), and I found it to be a pleasant experience. The live view implementation is quite clunky, though, more for static objects, as there is a noticeable delay between pressing the shutter button and the actual mirror flipping itself.

Well, I probably am one of those you're referring to as willing to think outside the box, as I don't see any problem with you going the E-510 direction.

Hi Richard,

What more could I want? Well, Live view, smaller body, less noisy shutter and in the case of the K200D a lot less money. Matching the E-510 with my M 28mm gives me a FOV of 56mm which is just about right for me. The adapter and body would cost me $530. I'm looking at it as a high IQ P & S setup. The more I think about the E410 is of interest. Smaller and cheaper yet. I'd hate to lose SR but the size might be worth it.
From my own musings, the E-410 is smaller, but not that much smaller than the E-510. I'd rather keep the IS than save a couple of millimeters on size and about a hundred grams on weight, especially now that Olympus has enabled manual setting of focal length (a la Pentax).

That said, get a feel for both the cameras first. Maybe you'll find the size and weight differences more than I do.
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Hi Reg......it's 'you know who' again !

All fair points, but the ONE feature I would categorically refuse to contemplate giving up would be SR, especially at the telephoto end......in my opinion, from now on it's simply a case of no SR, no dice !! As for the usefulness of 'Live View', I have a cute little C***n A630 that when attached to a sturdy tripod is utterly brilliant for photographing say architectural ceilings in Cathedrals or low-down close-ups of plants etc, due to it's rotating Vari-Angle LCD monitor. It may be stating the 'bleedin obvious', but personally I cannot see the purpose of a 'fixed' LCD screen for the two applications that I just described (unless you especially enjoy neck ache !) and if Pentax ever attempted to implement such a Vari-Angle feature on a forthcoming DSLR, bang would go the weather-sealing benefits......I'm afraid it's a 'catch-22' situation !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 01-30-2008 at 04:48 PM.
01-31-2008, 06:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter

There is more than a slight size difference between the E410 and E510. Numbers on a page don't do the difference justice. Pick them both up and you will go wow. I just bought the E330 for the pivoting lcd and live view A&B. Has its uses. Many Olympus people pray that there will be an E420 that is same size as E410 with IS. Don't know if it can be done. Even Pentax had to upsize the K100D to get SR into it. Olympus probably do it by designing another body since the E410 isn't as small as it could be (look at Pentax 110slr). There you go buy a Pentax 110.
thanks
barondla (dabbler in many systems)
01-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
There you go buy a Pentax 110.
I would LUV to see the Auto110 resurrected with a digital sensor, even if was of the P&S size. That would just be too cute.

I would love it an' hug it an' carry it everywhere!