Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using pocket air ionizer to remove static charge in sensor

I just had a thought and wondered if anyone else had any input or experience with this...

I have a AAA powered pocket air purifier / ionizer about the size of a USB thumb drive which removes static electricity around the business end of the device. It greatly reduces static in LP records, so I'm wondering if it might be good to remove the static in the sensor before cleaning to allow easier removal of dust particles.

I should mention that no contact is made to de-static stuff with the ionizer. You just turn it on & point the device at the thing you want to de-static. You wouldn't even need to put it inside the chamber of the camera for it to do it's job.

Any thoughts?

Bobbo :-)

08-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting idea. I would be more concerned if you had to insert the unit into the camera box itself. I look forward to more informed responses but it sounds like it might help.
08-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope... You don't have to insert it into the chamber, there's no fan-forced air, and no contact at all is needed. It's kinda strange... When you turn it on and put it under your face & breathe, it actually does what it supposed to. The air just seems much cleaner.

Here's the device: air cleaner Picture - More Detailed Picture about personal air cleaner air fresher air ionizer Picture in Air Purifiers from SHENZHEN LISENAO ELECTRONIC CO., LIMITED
08-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The sensor is coated with an anti-static layer so no need for it.

08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Ah, but can it be hurt by the use of the ionizer?
08-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Here's the expensive version: Amazon.com: FireFly DSC1000 Digital Sensor Cleaner: Camera & Photo

There should be no harm in using your device.
08-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Here's the expensive version:
Yeah, I spotted that earlier. That's what made me think of my pocket ionizer. A guy could conceivably tape my $5 eBay ionizer to a rocket blower and save about $150.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
That layer helps, but it doesn't do the job 100%. If it did, dry dust particles wouldn't stick to it.

08-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The sensor is an electric device so it always build up a charge no matter how small, anyway the particles are not that stuck so the sensor is easy to clean anyway, an air ionizer won't give you much if any benefit in that regard.
08-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

They do get stuck, and often the only way to get them off is with a method that touches the sensor.
08-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They do get stuck, and often the only way to get them off is with a method that touches the sensor.
Yep. And I clean the sensor with a brush. I just figured if there were less static in there, perhaps it wouldn't need cleaned as often, and the dust particles would lift off better. I'll try it next time & if it doesn't work, I'll scrap the idea. If it does work, yippee.
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep. And I clean the sensor with a brush. I just figured if there were less static in there, perhaps it wouldn't need cleaned as often, and the dust particles would lift off better. I'll try it next time & if it doesn't work, I'll scrap the idea. If it does work, yippee.
I think it is a good idea, even just to have it on next open body when you use the rocket blower (which CREATES static) or change lenses to help the dust to not settle on the sensor. I actually have the Firefly. Recommended procedure there is to have the camera on a tripod facing down and the dust particles are just supposed to fall away via gravity once they have had their static charge removed. And since it uses a button switch so you can't leave it turned on you pretty much do have to have the camera secured by something other than your hand. I've found several other uses for the device as well. Your gizmo is a lot cheaper though -- I may get one of those too.