Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving back to Pentax

Seriously considering selling off my Nikon stuff to go back to Pentax. I have used a Pentax dslr since the *ist DL came out. I am using a D700 right now but I find myself using my K-r alot more, especially when it comes to my macro photography and alot of outside stuff. I just picked up a 35 2.4 AL lens to use on my K-r. My thoughts: Sell my D700, Tamron 28-75, SB-700, 2 MF classic Ai-S lenses and then get a new/gently used K-5, a Metz flash and then I would have a whole bunch of money to get some really nice lenses, which I can't afford right now unless I sell my Nikon stuff. My concern is that I have to cover alot of inside events mainly in nightclubs and bars and I regularly shoot at ISO 3200. Can the K-5 give me close results to the D700's ISO 3200? The only thing that has me stuck is the fact that the D700 is FF and the K-5 is not. However, I have heard great things about the DR on the K-5.

08-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I might wait a couple weeks for the leaks and announcement from Photokina. The odds are that a new camera to replace the K-5 with a 24megapixel sensor and improved AF is on the way. Or, you could buy a new K-5 for about what a used one in good condition is selling for now and add the 2 year extended warranty for $20 and have a great kit. If you're worried about ISO performance I'd look through the galleries here and at Flickr because I believe you'll find a good number at 3200 that are outstanding.
08-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought about waiting but my funds are extremely limited and I would not be able to shell out the extra cash and sell all of my Nikon stuff even if Pentax did come out with a FF camera. I like my D700 alot, but I just keep going back to Pentax for some reason...especially with all of the classic MF lenses I have.
08-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

ISO 3200 is the least of your worries with a K-5, it's the AF in low light that will drive you nuts.

08-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 trounces all over the D700 in high ISO and DR performance (despite the smaller sensor). If that is your only concern you'll be more than happy with the K-5, focus system is not quite up there with the Nikon system though and of course having a smaller sensor affects your DOF.
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Below about ISO 9000, the D700 has better SNR at same ISO. Above 3200 the comparisons aren't really fair (if you post process like I assume everyone does) because Pentax uses in-camera noise reduction.

Dynamic range is about the same until ISO 6000 or so.

At low ISO's the K-5's sensor is better than the D700's but you don't seem interested in that.

The D700's AF is better than the K-5's, and wide aperture primes are much cheaper in Nikon.

I don't know if you're looking for more DOF at wide open apertures. If so an APS-C camera might be good for you. The Pentax has better button placement IMO but if you're happy with the Nikon ergonomically I wouldn't switch, or I would switch to the D7000 if you want APS-C.

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
08-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jase036 Quote
The K-5 trounces all over the D700 in high ISO and DR performance (despite the smaller sensor). If that is your only concern you'll be more than happy with the K-5, focus system is not quite up there with the Nikon system though and of course having a smaller sensor affects your DOF.
I am also taking a look at the K-30 but I have always been wary of a new camera being introduced and having "quirks" that need to be fixed via a firmware update or something like that. I have seen plenty of great action shots with the K-5 so it would really be the low light stuff that would concern me.

08-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot indoor live music a lot. My default kit is two K-5 bodies with DA*16-50 and Sigma EX 70-200/2.8, with K-01, DA*55, DA10-17 and a couple of FA limiteds as back-up.
High ISO is a non-issue. AF is just fine if you know what you're doing.
The K-30 looks like a fine mid-level camera, but I just bought a second K-5 instead; better the devil you know....

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-18-2012 at 07:09 AM.
08-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-5 handle high ISO well. but the auto focus ability in that extremly low light condtion should be behind from your d700. be prepare to get used to this.

Last edited by liukaitc; 08-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.
08-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I shoot indoor live music a lot. My default kit is two K-5 bodies with DA*16-50 and Sigma EX 70-200/2.8, with K-01, DA*55, DA10-17 and a couple of FA limiteds as back-up.
High ISO is a non-issue. AF is just fine if you know what you're doing.
The K-30 looks like a fine mid-level camera, but I just bought a second K-5 instead; better the devil you know....
This is what I wanted to hear. How do you like the 16-50? I am thinking about going to that lens as my main lens (of maybe the Sigma 12-24) and perhaps the 50-135 or maybe the Sigma (is yours the newer version)? Also, do you use a flash and if so which one?
08-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You absolutely want to wait for Photokina.
08-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
People keep saying that.
08-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
People keep saying that.
Not without reason.
Even Nikon is going to release something new.

It'd be the reasonable thing to do. Wait and then decide what you do.

My guess is you'll still want to move back to Pentax then .
08-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You state that funds are limited and you could not afford a new release similar to k-5. I think a lot of people are in that situation, the new k-5 replacement might list as high as $1,500 and would take awhile to drop. So waiting for Photokina is a mute point. The k-5 is best of class, although the class is almost 2 years old. But at the price being offered now, there is no better bargain out there. Get the $20 warranty and enjoy. And we are already seeing out of stock on some kits, so IMHO now is as good as it gets price wise. As stock dwindles the price will go back up.

DA*16-50 is a wonderful lens, I use it more than any other but there are options; both Sigma and Tamron have 17-50s that are rated just as good and for less money.

I have never shot anything except Pentax so maybe I just do not understand but I am always puzzled by people complaining about the Pentax AF system. I have no issues, it focuses where I want when I want in all kinds of light. I use only single point focus and have never used the other options so maybe that is it.

I have a very low tolerance for noise, I shoot a lot for stock and NO noise is the rule there and noise reduction is also frowned upon. I have no problems with the k-5 up to ISO 800 if the exposure is correct. I can go up to ISO 3200 and still get excellent quality for non-stock shots with minimal PP.
08-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

I have never shot anything except Pentax so maybe I just do not understand but I am always puzzled by people complaining about the Pentax AF system. I have no issues, it focuses where I want when I want in all kinds of light. I use only single point focus and have never used the other options so maybe that is it.
+1. I shoot a lot of dance in low light, and evidently the subjects are moving. I rarely have AF issues and this is with my K-x, a lesser camera than the K5. That being said, I AM looking forward to the K5 replacement with the hope that predictive AF is improved for the sports shots I do. But even there, I have a good number of keepers with my K-x. I think I just have the upgrade bug!