Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So waiting for Photokina is a mute point.
The word is moot, meaning a point open to debate. Mute means unable to speak, an absence of speech, or remaining silent or undiscovered.

Sorry, but that's one of the few things that can bring out my inner grammar nazi.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
08-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
+1. I shoot a lot of dance in low light, and evidently the subjects are moving. I rarely have AF issues and this is with my K-x, a lesser camera than the K5. That being said, I AM looking forward to the K5 replacement with the hope that predictive AF is improved for the sports shots I do. But even there, I have a good number of keepers with my K-x. I think I just have the upgrade bug!
+1 both..

Just being amazed how nicely the K-5 can do its focus for fast moving objects and in low light also.. Hadn't ever problems with K-x's AF either. And I had DA 55-300 when tested the AF with both cameras (K-5 and K-x)

And now someone comes to say that have you ever tried other brands? I've tried the Canons (7D and 550D) and Nikons (D3100 and D300). So you must be quietly
08-18-2012, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
The only thing that has me stuck is the fact that the D700 is FF and the K-5 is not.
How many images have you seen (magazines. posters, printed photos, web photos, any source) that you could tell, simply by looking at the image, whether it was taken with a FF or APS-C camera?
08-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
How many images have you seen (magazines. posters, printed photos, web photos, any source) that you could tell, simply by looking at the image, whether it was taken with a FF or APS-C camera?
Oh, that's certainly possible.

But such thin DOF as a f/1.2 on FF is of very rare use.

08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I am not able to tell usually. I have already decided to sell my Nikon gear and get a K-5 along with the lenses I need. I might look at getting a Sigma wide angle instead of the Pentax 16-50. I might also sell my K-r with the kit lens and get another K-5 or perhaps the K30.
08-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I am not able to tell usually. I have already decided to sell my Nikon gear and get a K-5 along with the lenses I need. I might look at getting a Sigma wide angle instead of the Pentax 16-50. I might also sell my K-r with the kit lens and get another K-5 or perhaps the K30.
Looks like you're going to have an awesome kit! My current plan is to keep my K-x and upgrade to K30 or the K5 replacement. I have a hard time parting with equipment that still works well. I still have and use a Sony V3 as my P&S.
08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The word is moot, meaning a point open to debate.
Noted. I am often accused of being a bit picky about grammar and spelling so that is somewhat embarrassing.

08-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The word is moot, meaning a point open to debate. Mute means unable to speak, an absence of speech, or remaining silent or undiscovered.

Sorry, but that's one of the few things that can bring out my inner grammar nazi.
Beat me to it
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you will be happy. I have been shooting with (now 2) K5s for more than a year and I am very pleased. As with any camera, there is room for improvement, but in all seriousness, I could continue shooting with the K5 for a long time without needing/desiring another camera.

Now, if you want to talk about glass and LBA, that's a different story...
08-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I think you're on the right track, because you'll be able to get more lenses if you go with Pentax.

A good cheap option for a standard zoom is the Tamron 17-50/2.8. You can get a used one for $350. You may have to dial in an AF adjustment (mine needs -5 on my K-r) but otherwise it's a great value.

For ultra-wide, there's the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 at $480 brand new.

Other long zooms worth looking at are the Sigma 50-150/2.8 (the older non-stabilized version is much smaller & lighter), and Pentax 55-300/4-5.8.

Plus way more primes than you want to mess around with...
08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

treebeard: Sigma's HSM is very quick and quiet - my 70-200/2.8 is the older, non-OS version and has been a stellar performer. "They" tell me the newer one is even better

As for the wide/standard zoom, I had the Sigma 17-50 for a while and loved it, but I moved it on after buying the DA*16-50 and comparing them for a month. Either will work well for your needs. The Tamron is screw drive, so noisier and (possibly) slower, but considerably cheaper.
08-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Noted. I am often accused of being a bit picky about grammar and spelling so that is somewhat embarrassing.
I recall that Joey on "Friends" explained once how 'a mute point' made sense so him. I don't remember how it went, but such things tend to stick in one's mind and pop out at bizarre moments. Ah, the reach of television..

As to shooting in low light with a K-5: I don't do it frequently except for the cat, and I can nail focus often enough. As to concerts and such, only the audience is really dark - I have some great concert shots from 1976 that I believe were ASA400 and 1/60 second. I still have my Yes t-shirt from that night, it's only been worn/washed a dozen times or less - and is dedicated to 'very special occasions'.
08-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
As to concerts and such, only the audience is really dark
....unless it's a Mark Lanegan gig. That dude must be photophobic; I had to push the ISO to 12800+ to get anything, and most of the other togs just walked away.
08-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The K5 is the first digital camera that I feel I'll keep for a long time. Of course if FF comes out, I might be tempted, but I can still see my keeping the K5 for aps-c / telephoto use. I haven't tried the Sigma, but I do dislike the sluggishness of SDM so it might be worth checking out. The 16-50 does take nice photos though....
08-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had the non-OS version as well and paired with my D200 it rocked. I will begin looking for another one or perhaps the Tamron 70-200. I probably will not be able to afford the 16-50 so I may have to look at the Tamron 17-50 or something else. I need to get a 2.8 lens that is as wide as possible. I now have $1900 to spend on a K-5, a flash (probably the Metz) and lenses. I feel like a kid in a candy store!