Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Viewfinders-focusing

I have a KX and K10.For daylight the K10 is much easier to focus with manual lens than the KX.Thinking about selling one or both and get either a K 5 or K 30.How do the viewfinders on these compare with the K 10?Am aware of 'focus peaking' on the K30 ,don't know what it is but that it only works in live view which I hardly use.

08-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have either, but the K10D has a pentaprism, which provides a brighter viewfinder image than a pentamirror, which is what the K-x has. According to Wikipedia, the both the K-30 and K-5 have "Eye-level pentaprism, near-100% coverage, 0.92 magnification." This is much better than the K-x which has "Eye-level pentamirror, 96% coverage, 0.85x magnification." So the K-30/K-5 viewfinders provide more coverage of the scene and magnify the image more, making manual focusing easier.
08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a ZX-10 (film) with pentamirror like the K-x and now a K-7 with prism.
The prism is much easier even though its not full frame.

The focus screen in the all the modern cameras is not really designed for accurately manually focussing fast lenses.
A matte / microprism focus screen makes the VF darker and most people want to have a nice bright VF and let their AF lens do the focussing.

I think the focus peaking feature would be very handy for MF lenses. K-30 has it K-5 does not. The K-5 you can focus accurately in liveview but it might be easier with the peaking.

If you don't like liveview you can always fit an alternative focus screen like a Katzeye or a modified Canon EeS which is excellent. They are available for the K5.
08-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell KX now but wait till K5 replacement is out to buy new as that will push all prices lower, especially if the new AF is all its supposed to be.

I second getting a Katzeye, worth every penny even with all the options, I love the one in my K20D.

Since I do all manual focus stuff I plan to pick up a used K5 after its replaced (with katzeye of course). I'm praying the AF on the replacement is worlds above the K5 as that will cause many of the gripers to dump their K5's and it doesn't mean a damn thing to me with all my old A series manual focus lenses, its the K5's magic ISO ability that I am after. And someday a FF.

08-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for replies and opinions.Thought that the K5 viewfinder would be as good as the K 10 which I can get along with.I have no problems with the IQ of the KX or the iso performance compared to what I was using before.When the reviews started coming out on the K 30 it got me wanting to trade up to one but after more study and the price drop on the K 5 it looked to be a better deal.Both my KX and K 10 are working good so am not in a big hurry to trade so will watch the price of the K 5 and hope for a further drop.Probably won't do anything until after returning from vacation in mid October as I plan to take the K 10,would do so even if I had a new one before,no use in exposing a new camera to sand and salt even if it a tough one.
08-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I use my K-30 with the Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 and while it's obviously harded to focus that automatically, I still get about 90% of my shots in perfect focus. I've only been using the manual for a week now but I love using it so much I recently decided to purchase a 28mm f3.5 as a "wide angle" option.

In conclusion: it works. It's not foolproof but the good results are so satisfying that you stop caring that some images (10-20%) are out of focus and not usable.

Here is a picture of a dog with a ball in his mouth. Taken with the M 50mm 1.7 at about f2.0. Only slightly downsized, otherwise no PP
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11419919/20120818-IMGP1308.jpg

Last edited by qwertyazerty; 08-21-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added link to picture