Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

Do you customize the Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation settings on your DSLR?

I own a K100D, and currently, I've left my Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation settings on 0-0-0. I've never fiddled with it.

Has anyone felt that different settings work better for them and produce a better image?

Thanks!

01-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am generally happy with neutral saturation and sharpness, but modify contrast and WB to suit the lighting conditions.

I shoot almost exclusively JPEG, and find that there is a 3 stop difference between maximum and minim,um contrast in the dynamic range with 2 of those stops being in the middle tones.
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're printing images, the default settings are nearly ideal. However, if you want the overly contrasty look typical of many digital cameras, then you might try tweaking the sharpness, and perhaps even the contrast, up just a bit. I think the default saturation settings are fine in any regard, but some even turn that up as well. I, on the other hand, have adjusted both contrast and saturation down on occasions when shooting images of female models. Ultimately, it's really just a matter of your own personal tastes and the subject you're shooting.

By the way, like Lowell, I tend to use JPEG most often. In my case, I'd estimate about 60% of the time. In the studio, especially for product shots, RAW dominates. The same with some model shoots for commercial clients. These two and similar account for the other 40%.

stewart
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i never shoot jpeg, therefore i never play with those settings.

01-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bumped up the in-camera sharpness to +2 when I was trying to get the Sigma 70-300 results to look better. I only shoot RAW now, and in Photo Lab, I found if I push the contrast up to +3, it fixes the lens IQ. I just never have bothered to zero out the sharpness.
01-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Mine is set to
Saturation - 0
Sharpness - +1
Contrast - +1
and it gives me the results that I want while shooting in JPG.
01-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I also have my image settings at 0,0,0.

Does anyone know if I would get better results by using the in camera adjustments, or if adjusting in post processing is as good?

I have just started to shoot RAW. Right now I am at the mercy of the wisdom of others.
01-30-2008, 02:05 AM   #8

I shoot alot of JPEGs and of course I play with the settings. Sharpness+2, Saturation+1, Contrast-1

01-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Wait, my camera shoots JPGs? I had no idea

Never messed with those settings, do all my "settings" in ACR4.1/CS3.
01-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

Does anyone know if I would get better results by using the in camera adjustments, or if adjusting in post processing is as good?

I have just started to shoot RAW. Right now I am at the mercy of the wisdom of others.
If you're shooting in JPEG, it's important to get it as close to right as possible the first time.
01-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

you'll get the best results if you do all the pp work on your comp. a smart sharpen in photoshop cs3 with .3 size at 130% sharpness is fantastic.
01-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

As others have mentioned, if you shoot jpeg initial setting is very important, specifically white balance and contrast. I use the K10D which has a very good manual WB adjustment, where you can modify the parameters and see the impact directly on the last photo you took. Select Fn, then WB and watch the image change as you make changes.

Contrast can have a big impact, up to 3 stops change in dynamic range, with 2 of those being in the mid ranges. You need set this when you shoot by evaluating the lighting.
01-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

better results in jpeg or raw? thats a very fine line.

the thing is, in the end, everything usualy ends up being a JPEG (unless you have other needs)

how you end up with a Jpeg is entirely up to you, either you can trust the internal conversion algorithm of the camera, or, you do the conversion yourself with 3rd party graphics programs.

i personaly choose to use 3rd party programs such as Adobe Lightroom. Why? because i like to play around with my images this and that way AFTER the fact, also because i dont like to bother trying to get the white balance right every single time and always fix it after.

So if you do ALOT of post processing, RAW is a must, if all you want is a good picture (and lots of memory space), trust in your camera.