Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #31

To the defense...

I'm always a little puzzled by the 'pile on RH' mentalitly around here. I own a K10D, a K100D, a *istDS, and a 645. I've had a little experience with Pentax. Admiting that certain cameras have certain weaknesses is OK! No system is perfect, or else everyone else would be out of business. Pentax AF and AE are not as accurate as C/N in some situations. Pick one up and try it out... it's hard to argue. That said, AE can be corrected for once you get used to how your camera reacts to different lighting situations. Also, I'm eager to try out the new DA* lenses, which I suspect from larger aperatures and faster motors will be better. I'm happy to live with less expensive glass, and learn how to compensate for my AE sometimes... but I'm not afraid to say that a Mark 5 would beat the pants off my K10D, especially in low light.

To suggest a good camera for low light and less noise, try our a K100D super. You'll get better IQ at higher ISO's, plus compatibility with SMD, and it's available today for DIRT CHEAP!!!

02-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
As far as RH is concerned, he might know quite a bit about photography, but he is also a s*** disturber.
I'd beware of someone like the guy quoted above who is so quick to attach a photographer willing to back up his claims with real photographs. This attitude reminds me of a little kid who insists that he should hold a knife by the blade... it's silly, and a turn off to other forum members.
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RH is well known for his Pentax bashing here, and other forums, he has been banned from several, but we are so nice here, we let him spew his unfounded garbage, and just laugh it off...
02-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I said RHi s a s*** d******** and all his posting support that claim. I never said he couldn't take a good picture or didn't know much about photography. It is obvious that he knows quite a bit and it looks like he can back up his claim. But, it is also obvious tha he likes to stir a hornet's nest.

02-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread seems to have migrated to a Love or Hate Poll for RH.

In my view, I have seen all extremes from him, Is he opinionated? You Bet, but so am I, Biased? You bet, again so am I.

I think the difference is While I am biased towards Pentax, and I freely admit I have been for over 25 years, it is because I like thier cameras, and their performance has always met my needs.

BUT where there may be a difference, is that, I think anyway, when I respond to a discussion thread, my answer is not to promote the camera, but to assist the OP, or any responder, in making a desision or getting it right. Have I been wrong, You bet, and people have corrected me. That's fine also, its calld free speech. What I see from RH too often, is an outright bias towards cameras and equipment that are many times higher in cost than the pentax, and then complain that the pentax products are not up to standard.

Let him rant, that's fine, and to some extent, a little negativity is good, otherwise all we have is an I love pentax forum, but lets not have a discission about one of the contributors to the forum and his value.

Please.
02-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
RH,

I'd wait and see what the k20d can do in low light & with AF before I make a call on how it does, as opposed to writing it off right away.

However, the main reason why I'm responding is those pictures are very well done. Nice work with those (whether it's a Pentax camera or not - as I'm too lazy to look at the exif data).
It's by Pentax gear - F*300/4.5 on K100D, mounted on a monopod, SR on for the first two and SR off for the third one.

Of course it's by Pentax gear as my first reply post (with the pics attached) is about actually the K cameras are adequate for the AF used in such situations, as another poster pointed out whom I totally agreed with.

However, as for the metering, it still underexposed. When I spot metered on the dark clothings, no EV compensation is needed. If I spot metered on the face of the singer, I constantly applied a +0.7 to +1 EV exposure compensation in order to achieve acceptable exposures. Furthermore, in all the above three pics, an additional +0.5EV compensation was applied for all 3 pics when I converted the RAWs by the PPL 3.
02-04-2008, 04:23 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Well Put, Lowell!

Lowell, well put here and I totally second your view.

Let's just talk about gear solely but not about any person personally anymore. I think even we can have very different opinions, we SHOULD always *discuss* - well, here is a *discussion* forum, right? Why we have to agree all the time? :-) Bottom line is to ignore if I still disagree with you or vice versa, MHO and wish.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This thread seems to have migrated to a Love or Hate Poll for RH.

In my view, I have seen all extremes from him, Is he opinionated? You Bet, but so am I, Biased? You bet, again so am I.

I think the difference is While I am biased towards Pentax, and I freely admit I have been for over 25 years, it is because I like thier cameras, and their performance has always met my needs.

BUT where there may be a difference, is that, I think anyway, when I respond to a discussion thread, my answer is not to promote the camera, but to assist the OP, or any responder, in making a desision or getting it right. Have I been wrong, You bet, and people have corrected me. That's fine also, its calld free speech. What I see from RH too often, is an outright bias towards cameras and equipment that are many times higher in cost than the pentax, and then complain that the pentax products are not up to standard.

Let him rant, that's fine, and to some extent, a little negativity is good, otherwise all we have is an I love pentax forum, but lets not have a discission about one of the contributors to the forum and his value.

Please.