Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is K30 going to be the new Pentax flagship?

I have this fear that the K30 is going to be the king of the Pentax hill and thats it, no K3, no FF no nothing.

Why?

K10 -> K20 -> K30

K30 has enthusiast features WR, second wheel, etc.

The action in the camera market is in the MILC segment.

It is rumoured that the big Pentax announcement at Photokina will be a bridge camera X-5?!

OMG, please tell me it will not be so!

08-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It isn't so.
08-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They wouldn't let the K-30 be their flagship; there has got to be something better planned... not that the K-30 isn't good, but do you really think that their flagship DSLR would be released for $850/body. Weren't previous flagships almost twice that when they first came out?
08-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I have this fear that the K30 is going to be the king of the Pentax hill and thats it, no K3, no FF no nothing.

Why?

K10 -> K20 -> K30
The K30 didn't replace the K20 as a flagship, the K7 did, followed by the K5, and so K7 -> K5 -> ?? is what you need to be looking at.

08-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
but do you really think that their flagship DSLR would be released for $850/body
Maybe they think thats all their market segment will bear.
08-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #6

I've been itching to get this off my chest. Pentax/Ricoh have really kept their cards close to their bosom.
That makes it hard to figure out exactly where the dividing line of product development from the Hoya days and now Ricoh sits (based on previous statements by Ricoh).
The K-30 to me represents the entry/mid level end of Pentax-DSLR's, but with several new technological refinements and a few features of the K-5 grandfathered into the design.
That makes sense, as it seems to carry on past tradition of this interlinked leapfrogging of technology within their product lines.
The K-30 has a new processor, and improved AF, dual dials and glass prism, yet does not take advantage of 14 bit processing, a quieter shutter, higher shutter speed, etc.
One can hardly call that taking full advantage of all the available technology. What about Sony's new 24 mp sensor?

What does make me wonder, is how Pentax/Ricoh reacts/responds to the recent releases from Nikon and Canon. Imagine you have a product in the pipeline,
and then one or the other manufacturer releases a model that throws your bottom line a curve-ball. You have only so much time to adopt new ideas and strategies.
I suppose that is what all manufacturers have to deal with, but somehow I have a feeling that good things are in store for us, at least on the APS-C front.
There is also the refinement of the 645-D to consider (which is not in everyone's reach of course).

Personally I curb any hope for a full-frame, although it is a wish deep in my heart. Should a full-frame ever become reality, it would take some
time for me to to buy into it, as I certainly would not want to become an early adopter and would wait for some sober and competent reviews.

I do try to enjoy the wait, pondering what might come next. It is a bit of a tease and thrill. Here's to Photokina.... Let the gamut of emotions tickle your fantasies.
08-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When and where is Photokina?
08-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photokina

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
When and where is Photokina?
Cologne, 18.-23.09.2012

08-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks..............I'll mark my calendar..........I hope they announce my next camera body..........
08-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

not a chance. Pentax officials have stated a goal of a 4 DSLR line. So expect a lower model and a high model in apsc and likely at some point a FF to round out the 4 body lineup (or an even higher apsc but that i doubt)
08-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Imagine you have a product in the pipeline, and then one or the other manufacturer releases a model that throws your bottom line a curve-ball.
In the software industry where I work, competitive pressures ie: new features, faster processing, better GUI etc occur all the time.

An organization that has an established roadmap with resources and budgets tied to it cannot react to these pressures midstream without incurring significant costs, so the new features to beat the competition become input for the next development cycle.

Due to this I do not foresee Pentax releasing an answer to the competitor's newly released products until the next model cycle, unless they had advanced knowledge via technology partner channels or other sources.
08-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
In the software industry where I work, competitive pressures ie: new features, faster processing, better GUI etc occur all the time.

An organization that has an established roadmap with resources and budgets tied to it cannot react to these pressures midstream without incurring significant costs, so the new features to beat the competition become input for the next development cycle.

Due to this I do not foresee Pentax releasing an answer to the competitor's newly released products until the next model cycle, unless they had advanced knowledge via technology partner channels or other sources.
it's a 2 way street Nikon responded to the K7 body design with the D7000
08-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The timing is consistent though, K-7 out in July 2009, Nikon reacts and delivers D7000 July 2010.