Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax DSLR photo sniper..new DSLR?

(sorry about the poor picture, obviously not taken on a Pentax!)

This is my 'photo sniper', there is a switch on the trigger, camera is ist*DS, lens Takumar 1:4/300 and I usually have a Pentax autofocus adapter.

Now this gives good results provided I get it in focus! As you can imagine the camera will only autofocus this rig in really good light.

Manual focussing is getting more uncertain as the years roll by and I have been trying a few ideas to improve things. One thing I tried was a laser pointer mounted on the stock and controlled by the trigger switch.

The trigger switch has two stages, the first stage activates the autofocus on the camera and the second stage releases the shutter. The laser pointer was wired to the first stage and put a laser dot on the target during the autofocus stage. At least that was the theory but I found it very difficult to mount the laser so that it hit the centre of the target, however it does show promise.

The camera is a few years old now and thoughts turn to maybe replacing it but if I do so I would really like to get this focussing business sorted. Obviously one improvement would be to get better manual focussing, has anyone got any comments on what modern Pentax might suit my needs?

P.S. Please dont get distracted about this looking like a 'gun'.

08-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

might not be the best for street
08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K30 will give you Focus peaking for manual focus so would a K-01. both also will deal better with low light. K-o1 with a hoodman on it may be ideal actually
want perfect autofocus on it then get a DA*300 or an FA*300 but then it won't be an inexpensive kit
08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eddie, I have tried a viewfinder hood, both plain and magnified and they do improve matters, I will look at the K3 and K-01.
Yes, unfortunately expensive kit is not really practical for me since I am now retired and all the money I will ever earn is already in the bank!

08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whoops! of course I meant K30!
08-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

#edit.

Nope... i got distracted because it looked like a gun

Long story short your autofocus is a bit wack?

QuoteQuote:
pff thats not a gun

Zenit's PHOTO SNIPER!!!!
Zenit Photosniper - Camerapedia
08-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have one of those too and modified the trigger to be a switch to fire my DS. The noise the aperture makes when it clanks down ensures I never need to take a second shot of wild life!

There was another version I made with a bent aluminium frame and a twist grip fore handle that operated the lens focus via flexible cable, the lens ws Telelentar 1:6.5 450mm.
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The stock and grip parts are the easy part - its the auto focus that is the trick. This lens by novoflex is called a 'follow focus' and allows you to focus from the grip squeeze - haven't used it yet as my copy has a nikon mount - I am working to fix that.

Would be good to get a shoulder stock for it as well.

08-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have not tried a squeeze grip type focus but I have both the finger knob focus on my Zenit Foto Snaiper and a twist grip on one of my other rigs. They both work but neither are ideal.

The trouble is that autofocus (at least on my Pentax ist*DS) requires better than f1:4, I have one of these lenses..(Sigma 500 f1:4)
but the autofocus adapter cant focus that except in very bright light.