Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
He told me he fully expects Pentax will issue the appropriate Firmware updates for the K10D right after they release Firmware for the K20D. Also informed me they intend to keep selling the K10D into at least next year.
The ideal, and I believe Nikon did this once (I don't mean up to some point in the past and then stopped, but really mean one time only) was to put all the new software features possible on a new release for a past camera.

One can only hope, we get that, plus the things we could really use

01-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that, maxamillion! I'm really looking forward to those updates.
01-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

(snip)... He told me he fully expects Pentax will issue the appropriate Firmware updates for the K10D right after they release Firmware for the K20D. Also informed me they intend to keep selling the K10D into at least next year. (snip)...

I certainly hope that information is correct. However, at this point, I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Short-term gain, long term loss.

Exactly. However, most managers/executives are now focused almost entirely on short-term profits since few get promotions, pay increases, or bonuses, due to as yet unobtained long-term profits.

stewart
01-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Ed in GA

I am a K10D owner.

I fully Do Not expect Pentax to issue any more upgrades for the K10D throug firmware updates.

If they make my K10D do everything the K20D will do, why would I, or anyone else who has a Kk10D, bother to upgrade?

I do expect that they will continue to issue firmware updates to correct the few problems my camera has, or maybe not.

01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

You won’t get the new cmos sensor no matter what they do with the firmware, so there are still reasons left for an upgrade.
01-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I am not sure what any future firmware for the K10D is needed. It now has wireless flash (great!) and other features, but what extras would you want in a firmware. I cannot think of any.
01-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #22

I think it's only natural that they WILL issue at least ONE more firmware update. It's quite easy to incorporate some features, that K20D will have into K10D, since they share the same image processor. Such an update is easy to do, do not requires alot of money on RnD (those money are ALREADY spent on K20D!). So why not do it? Of course this will happen only after the final K20D firmware is out.

One more guess - GX-10 will be continued unlike K10D. Samsung has no new entry camera like K200D, so perhaps GX-10 will take it's place. And again, if it will still be produced, perhaps it will be updated also.

As for what I'd like to see in, let's say, 1.40 firmware - K20D-like JPEG handling at least. Getting that AF-test menu from service part to one of the public menus. Changing image names would be a nice bonus also.

Last edited by Snowcat; 01-30-2008 at 02:49 PM.
01-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I am not sure what any future firmware for the K10D is needed. It now has wireless flash (great!) and other features, but what extras would you want in a firmware. I cannot think of any.
you need to look at this thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/19349-would-you-pa...-upgrades.html

There are several defficiencies plus some things that sure would be nice

01-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
One more guess - GX-10 will be continued unlike K10D. Samsung has no new entry camera like K200D, so perhaps GX-10 will take it's place. And again, if it will still be produced, perhaps it will be updated also.
Oh, hey, that's interesting. Particularly if Samsung makes some of the firmware improvements in their model, that'll put additional price pressure on the K200D.
01-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Generally, I'd not expect updates after a product is discontinued. But if they're going to continue this model of discontinuing products after one year, I think you have a point.
Neither do I but the K10D is still new, its not a model that has been on the market for a number of years, only one +.
01-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think Pentax would be smart to fix some of the little things plus put in a couple of wizbangs (file naming) to put control into the users hands and keep us from constantly hammering their support folks. (FF/BF tweaking by lens). Software is software, and they've already written code to perform most of these issues. Copy (CTRL-C) / Paste (CTRL-V)...simple as that.
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
(snip)... I fully Do Not expect Pentax to issue any more upgrades for the K10D throug firmware updates. ...(snip)...

Well, Pentax should certainly have no problems meeting your minimal expectations. However, remembering the last update was several months ago (August), I was hoping for firmware updates for bit longer than six or seven months. A year of ongoing updates to the internal software would be nice, with anything longer than that truly worthy of high praise.

stewart
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would suggest this to all the doubters.

if you live in the USA contact Pentax at 800-877-0155 and ask the basic question I asked. See what answer you get. Some callers may get the same Tech Rep I spoke with, others will talk to different rep's.

It would be interesting to all if you would to post the answers you get.

Rag.
01-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I would suggest this to all the doubters.

if you live in the USA contact Pentax at 800-877-0155 and ask the basic question I asked. See what answer you get. Some callers may get the same Tech Rep I spoke with, others will talk to different rep's.

It would be interesting to all if you would to post the answers you get.

Rag.
It would be much more bennificial if everyone wrote pentax requesting fixes for these points on the basis that they are (at least the first ones) fundamental design flaws with the camera, and need to be fixed.

The more who write the better.
02-09-2008, 05:04 AM   #30

Ive just dowloaded firmware 1.3 for my K10D.
Not tested yet, my battery is charging...
If battery runs low during update, your camera
will be as dead as Elvis.