Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
I think Pentax would be smart to fix some of the little things plus put in a couple of wizbangs (file naming) to put control into the users hands and keep us from constantly hammering their support folks. (FF/BF tweaking by lens).
Would this be the fix, if they were to implement it, that could possibly correct those issues that people have had with the 16-50mm f/2.8?

02-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Samsung has also discontinued all GX-10's and they are on their last shipments of the camera to the US market. Someone has gobbled up the last of them I wonder who.... hehehehehe
02-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Samsung has also discontinued all GX-10's and they are on their last shipments of the camera to the US market. Someone has gobbled up the last of them I wonder who.... hehehehehe
It will be interesting to see if they announce a version of the K200D as they never had a version of the K100D or K100D super. They just had the GX-1S and 1L (DS and DL derivatives).
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my camera last week, do all cameras come with the same firmware or do they upgrade the firmware in the cameras (before they ship) as it comes available? In other words, should I be doing a firmware upgrade?

I don't know much about camera firmware, but it would be cool if the companies would release a model with hackable firmware that the open source community could go to town on. I'm thinking like Linksys did with their WRT54x routers, the open source community found out that these models firmware could be hacked and soon came up with their own version that gave it capabilities and features usually found on a router costing 10X as much. When Linksys discontinued the model and decreased the memory there was such an outcry from the user community they re released the model with more memory with a "GL" suffix so people knew it was the model that could be easily upgraded with the linux based firmware. I think they did this because the user community was turning to other routers that could be "hacked" and they were losing sales. Perhaps this has already been discussed on this forum though..

02-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

[quote=Glen_S;174075]I just got my camera last week, do all cameras come with the same firmware or do they upgrade the firmware in the cameras (before they ship) as it comes available? In other words, should I be doing a firmware upgrade?/quote]

Well, I think you should check the firmware you've got now and see if it's the latest.

I don't know much about exactly how this works, but I assume it's like the computer biz: The product gets some software installed on it at the factory (or somewhere soon after it comes off the assembly line), then it's shipped fairly quickly to distribution points and from thence, to stores. I suspect that most cameras are sold with whatever firmware was current at the time of manufacture--either that, or ALL cameras are sold with the original 1.0 firmware. Since you won't easily know how long your camera's box has been sitting around, it makes sense to check the firmware on any new camera and update if appropriate.

Will
02-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I got mine 3 weeks ago from adorama.com and it had 1.00 installed...

...so i imagine there's a chance you will need to upgrade...read the instructions to see what version you have.
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #37

I just sent an email requesting the lens matching option to be added in the next K10D firmware update so that we can actually use those DA* lenses without having to send our cameras in to pentax to get them adjusted.

To me this should DEFINATELY be in a firmware update because it is there to correct mistakes really. I know I would definately feel a whole lot better about buying that 16-50mm if I knew that I wouldn't have to deal with a slew of FF and BF issues. I still contemplate getting an equivilant sigma or tamron just to avoid the stress.
02-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #38
Pentaxian

*istDS

I checked what happened when the K10D was released.

From my price comparison portal I deduce that the K10D went on sale around 2006, Sep 18.

The last firmware update for the *istDS has a ReadMe dated 2006, Dec 11.

At that time, the *istDS had already been replaced by *istDL and *istDL2, I believe. So, the *istDS kept being supported for a couple of more months after K10D went on sale.

BTW, the aforementioned price comparison portal also shows that the K10D has not seen a price drop at any particular moment in time, it just kept getting cheaper at a rate of about 1 Euro per day. Just a note for all those waiting for this K20D price drop

02-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #39
Forum Member

everyone should send pentaximaging an email requesting a firmware update addressing some of the issues mentioned. I just did. Hopefully with enough voices, Pentax might listen!
02-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What did you ask them about? anything specific?

I have several complaints in with them about real functional issues, the standard response is they have passed them on to their R&D group.

Last time I got the response you have, there was new software 2 days later, but don't get your hopes up
I have 4 Nikon Dslr's. They issue firmware upgrades until the new cameras are released.

What makes you think Pentax will not do the same.

Any new firmware upgrades for the istD in the past 2 years.?No

Dave
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
This Rep was very wiling to talk (as much as he could reveal) and a very nice guy, he suggested that instead of complaining about camera issues on Forums
Actually, these forums can be their best friend...Most posts and threads here are indeed pro pentax and pentax product...We bring excitement to the brand...They should not look a gift horse in the mouth, for it is ''US'' forum people who buy and sell their product...
They need to take care of us and our needs...They need to pay attention to this forum...They need to become a member here, in fact, an official pentax employee, like a tech would be a good addition to this membership...Someone who can hear the good and the bad....Perhaps if they paid attention, there would not have been such a problem with the DA*16-50