Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

No new K10D Firmware yet.

I just received the following response from Pentax Tech Support.

Rag.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

At this time, we will probably not be doing anymore firmware updates for the K10D. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Michael C

01-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did you ask them about? anything specific?

I have several complaints in with them about real functional issues, the standard response is they have passed them on to their R&D group.

Last time I got the response you have, there was new software 2 days later, but don't get your hopes up
01-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lowell.

I asked if they were going to issue any new Firmware for the K10D.

Rag.
01-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not ask them if they are going to fix the issue with inability to change lens focal length with a TC, and whether they will correct the problem of incorrect exposure with manual apature lenses, or AE lenses when the apature is set manually on the lens.

these are real product issues. See what happens then.

01-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

That is kind of disheartening that they would abandon the K10D and its owners as soon as a new camera comes out...that is poor customer support IMO.

I hope they do address the issues mentioned above with one more update.
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well...bashing Microsoft aside, they at least do provide updates for several years after a new release of an operating system.
01-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the K20D in the hopes that shortly after they would release a firmware v1.4 for the K10D. The issues pointed out by Lowell Goudge are the ones I basically want fixed. That, and the ability to adjust the back/front focus without having to resort to firmware v1.1 and some dodgy hidden menus.

It would certainly speak volumes about Pentax as a customer-orientated business, and not a business-orientated business (if you see what I mean).

01-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder, is there nobody on this forum who has the inside track to Pentax to point the shortcomings of the current firmware out?
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
To all responses.

I just got off the phone with a Pentax Tech Rep. I informed him I wasn't very happy with the email response regarding Firmware.

He told me he fully expects Pentax will issue the appropriate Firmware updates for the K10D right after they release Firmware for the K20D. Also informed me they intend to keep selling the K10D into at least next year.

I asked about rumors of a pro model DSLR coming out at the end of 08. It was obvious from his between the lines answer the new model is valid, however maybe not in 08. He intimated it will be well worth waiting for.

This Rep was very wiling to talk (as much as he could reveal) and a very nice guy, he suggested that instead of complaining about camera issues on Forums, we should all contact Pentax with some sensible feature requests and wanted Firmware upgrades. Pentax does listen to us, however they will not pay much attention to requests for top of the line Nikon/Canon features on a $1300 camera. They believe their camera's are already very much loaded with good stuff for the price.

Bottom line, sensibly tell Pentax what features you would like. Don't ask for moon on their value loaded camera's. You may be surprised.

Rag.
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
To all responses.

I just got off the phone with a Pentax Tech Rep. I informed him I wasn't very happy with the email response regarding Firmware.

He told me he fully expects Pentax will issue the appropriate Firmware updates for the K10D right after they release Firmware for the K20D. Also informed me they intend to keep selling the K10D into at least next year.

I asked about rumors of a pro model DSLR coming out at the end of 08. It was obvious from his between the lines answer the new model is valid, however maybe not in 08. He intimated it will be well worth waiting for.

This Rep was very wiling to talk (as much as he could reveal) and a very nice guy, he suggested that instead of complaining about camera issues on Forums, we should all contact Pentax with some sensible feature requests and wanted Firmware upgrades. Pentax does listen to us, however they will not pay much attention to requests for top of the line Nikon/Canon features on a $1300 camera. They believe their camera's are already very much loaded with good stuff for the price.

Bottom line, sensibly tell Pentax what features you would like. Don't ask for moon on their value loaded camera's. You may be surprised.

Rag.
Now, that's what I like to hear. Thanks for sharing.
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harv3589 Quote
That is kind of disheartening that they would abandon the K10D and its owners as soon as a new camera comes out...that is poor customer support IMO.
Generally, I'd not expect updates after a product is discontinued. But if they're going to continue this model of discontinuing products after one year, I think you have a point.
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

...(snip) At this time, we will probably not be doing anymore firmware updates for the K10D. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. (snip)...

Of course, since the K10D is very similar to the K20D in many regards, Hoya-Pentax could obviously add some additional capabilities or features to the K10D if they truly wanted to do so. However, adding K20D-like features to the K10D would dilute the advantages of the K20D over the K10D. Therefore, the company will likely protect the K20D by simply abandoning the K10D and its users entirely. Other companies occasionally do the same, but that fact rarely helps prior customers feel any better about being abandoned by a company they supported.

stewart
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Of course, since the K10D is very similar to the K20D in many regards, Hoya-Pentax could obviously add some additional capabilities or features to the K10D if they truly wanted to do so. However, adding K20D-like features to the K10D would dilute the advantages of the K20D over the K10D. Therefore, the company will likely protect the K20D by simply abandoning the K10D and its users entirely. Other companies occasionally do the same, but that fact rarely helps prior customers feel any better about being abandoned by a company they supported.
Short-term gain, long term loss.
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This was a service technician, right?

Personally I'm skeptical about info from such sources. At many companies (say, Apple Computer) one half of the engineers actually working on a new product often don't know what the other members of their team are doing.

The folks who actually know, can't (and won't) talk. The rest is rumor. I'm inclined to believe that most of the people working for Pentax know little more than I do. If that is not true, then it's astonishing that there were so few accurate leaks about the K20D before it was officially announced.

Will
01-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by detlef Quote
I wonder, is there nobody on this forum who has the inside track to Pentax to point the shortcomings of the current firmware out?

Sadly, those with an inside track seem too concerned with protecting their inside track, and the pitifully small status associated with it, to risk making waves. In other words, don't expect too much from that camp.

I agree with the others here who suggest contacting Pentax yourself, preferably Pentax Japan instead of a national subsidiary which might not pass the request on.

stewart